New Jersey
Options

When did you buy your dress?

I was chatting with some MGs at my New Years Eve party last night and they said that they purchased their dress 8 months prior to their wedding.

Is that necessary?   I going to put a helluva lot of effort into losing some weight before I buy/shop for my dress.  I was hoping to have 6 months, but that would leave only 6 months til my wedding. 

Advice needed thanks...

Re: When did you buy your dress?

• Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    10 months, and yes, it needed to be ordered when it was ordered.  I could have maybe waited a little bit longer but wedding dresses are made to order, and that takes time.  Mine didn't come into the store until early May (it was ordered the first week of November).

But it depends on the maker.  Some need more lead time than others.  And there are dresses that could be bought off the rack the day before the wedding (that's the exception rather than the rule though).
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I bought mine in June 2009 for an April 2010 wedding. So, 10 months out. When I called the shop a couple weeks ago to check up on it, they said it hadn't arrived yet and I should call back in January.

You might be cutting it close at 6 months to have it delivered. You could put in a rush order, but that's extra money. Call some local salons and ask how long their dresses typically take to come in. Sometimes it can vary by the designer.

Or you could buy something off the rack from a place like David's Bridal or Group USA, or buy a salon sample dress, so that you can take it home the same day.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I bought mine 8 months out. I would suggest purchasing prior to 6 months unless you don't mind that you may be limited on certain designers.  Although, my dress came in about 5 months, there's another knottie who's dress was from the same designer and hers took almost a full year.
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    6 months is really pushing it.  Your best bet is to start looking 9-10 months out and buying the size that fits.  You will be quite limited in your selection and rushing if you leave it for 6 months.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I ordered mine in October for my wedding in August, so about 10 months out.
    image 219 Invited image 149 Attending image 68 Declined image 2 Haven't Replied
    RSVP Date July 7
    My Bio updated 5/31/10
  • Options
    Lola MinnieLola Minnie member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    9 months out is the best advice i've read and heard from bridal consultants.
    who cares what size you end up ordering, it can be altered to fit your bod when you lose the weight you want.
    i'd rather have a bigger size then stress about my dress not arriving in time.
  • Options
    kle0113kle0113 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am the minority here.  I ordered mine in November for a March wedding.  I also planned my wedding in a little less then 6 months so I really had no choice.  My dress came in the end of January, I had plenty of time for alterations and such.  My deigner was Maggie Sottero.  HTH! 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i ordered mine in september ish for my august wedding...i also knew i wanted to lose alot of weight...they ordered me a size 24 and when the dress came in in january it fell off of me, and then they re-ordered me the dress in an 18 and it came in in may...
  • Options
    dmoney79dmoney79 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    got engaged in sept, set the date for 10/10/09, ordered my dress like, oct 28 08....my dress came in in july i think? we ordered the bm dresses in february, and they came in around the same time......i was told my dress would take a long time to come in.....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    chrissy31805chrissy31805 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i think it depends on where you get it and the designer. i ordered mine in august 2009 for my august 2010 wedding. they told me it would be in 4-5 months. it came in a few weeks ago. the designer is casablanca and i got it at cinderella bridals in matawan.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It all depends on the designer and the store. I ordered my dress in August for an August wedding and then moved my wedding date up to May so I ordered 9 months out. The dress still hasn't come in yet and it's due in February. I've lost roughly 20lbs and 2 dress sizes since the time I ordered the dress and now and will probably lose a bit more before the dress even comes in. But to be honest, you can not guarentee your weight loss and I ordered the dress in my size that day because it's easier to take the dress in than have to let it out. Think of how many people want to lose weight before their wedding, and how many actually do. I'm not saying you won't, but I would give yourself about 8-10 months before the wedding to order the dress and just have it taken in if it needs be.
  • Options
    MelissaSusMelissaSus member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I ordered mine in may and it came in november 1st. Im getting married in march so i had about 10 months to go. Mine is an alfred angelo.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I ordered mine in June for my Feb wedding. It is a Pnina Tornai and they had to put a rush on it, it was in around November
  • Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I ordered mine about 10-11 months out but I began looking months before that.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    SinthyaSinthya member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I ordered my dress 14 months out...and it took 11 months to come in...while atypical, situations like that is why you want to give yourself more than 6 month IMO.
  • Options
    leah2bleah2b member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I ordered mine in late November and it should arrive by march (the consultant said it would probably be even earlier).  I went to Cymbeline in New York City - http://www.cymbelineusa.com/
    i LOVE their dresses. 
  • Options
    DS0305DS0305 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would probably give yourself at least 8-9 months, possibly more if you can.  I ordered mine in January 2009 for a January 2010 wedding, so just about a year in advance.  Mine came in 5 months later but was supposed to take approximately 6-8 months.  Plus you gotta leave some time for alterations as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards