New Jersey
Options

Anyone from Piscataway?

I'm once again browsing on real estate websites, and I found a few houses in Piscataway in our price range. Unfortunately from the photos and Google Maps, a lot of them seem to be in kind of a crummy area. However, I've had past coworkers and acquaintances tell me that they really liked living there.

Are there certain parts of town that are better than others? If so, what area should I be looking in? Can you give me some streets or landmarks that I should be searching near?

Thanks!

Re: Anyone from Piscataway?

• Options
    smw42smw42 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I work in Piscataway (on Hoes Lane) and there are some great houses off of Sydney where there's a little bridge. If you google S Randolphville Road and Whispering Pines Way- that's the area I'm thinking of.

My only hesitation with Piscataway is that I've heard the high school is a little rough. Not sure how accurate that is. You don't want to go near South Plainfield/Plainfield either. Good luck in your hunting!

We also have a fantastic realtor in the area that we used to buy our condo if you need a recommendation. She was great and really stood up for us on multiple occassions. A couple co-workers have used her as well.
    Anniversary Photobucket
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!
  • Options
    JennM31JennM31 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Piscataway is nice. There are definately nicer areas than others. My Fiance used to live over by River Road. I like the area that he used to live in. The high school is pretty big, but they are known for some of their sports and I have a few friends that have graduated from there and got a great education. One is a state Trooper now and another is a teacher.  Just watch where you end up.
  • Options
    Reilly626Reilly626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wouldnt judge any area or town until seeing it myself.  If I listened to what people said about my town I would have missed out on my beautiful house and awesome neighbors.... so see for yourself! Good luck!
  • Options
    Partymixx27Partymixx27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    MH and I lived in Piscataway for 4+ years, in the apartments on River Road.  We spent a lot of time looking for houses when we were ready to buy, and as long as you steer clear of the area right next to Plainfield you should be fine. That's the area around Rock Avenue, etc. - called the Arbor Section.  The River Road section is the best.  New Market (near the lake) is nice too.  Most of Piscataway actually is pretty nice, or at least decent.  I believe the school system is good, not fantastic.

We ended up buying in Middlesex Borough, which is a much smaller town next to Pisc.  It's a great little middle class community, we both love it so far.  People really seem to take pride in living here.  There are barber shops, old fashioned delis, a farmer's market, so it has a little bit of a throwback feel.  Taxes affordable too.  Just something to look into if you're consdiering the area.

• Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Thanks all!
  • Options
    Denise91980Denise91980 member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I work in Piscataway and some of the areas are nice. The schools are definitely not the greatest though, as I have a lot of experience with the school districts of Middlesex County. The High School is huge and has way too many kids with too little attention. Parts of Piscataway are really nice though.
    BFP #1 1/1/11 EDD 9/10/11 dx:no hb DNC on 2/2/11 BFP #2 12/28/11 natural m/c on 2/6/12 BFP#3 2/16/13 dx:ectopic on 2/27 (given methotrexate)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Piscataway is a very diverse town, mix of white collar and working class.  I would avoid the sections near plainfield, and any flood prone areas.  Also, be able to stomach the congestion because of RU campus, football games,etc.

There is also no easy route to manhattan, if that is of concern to you (hae to drive to edison,etc)
    1st Groom

View our FOR SALE items
    http://tinyurl.com/3jjv7vy
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards