New Jersey
Options

Poll: What is your rent/mortgage payment?

I've always wondered what is average for the suburbs... people in the city are so open about what they pay because it is such a joke, but I don't think it is as commonly discussed in the 'burbs, right?

Re: Poll: What is your rent/mortgage payment?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    im a special snowflake (dont rent or own)...but i based it on what syn was paying before he moved in. He was splitting the mortage with two friends. 

~Declare it..Claim it..It will be!!~
    imageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickersimage
    5/9/09: Plans, Pics, F/S 11/10/10: BFP Chart Baby Ds Stuff & Coupons!! WTH has Obama done so far!?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wait, if you don't rent or own, where do you live? I think you just froze my brain ;-) ....

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I work at a unviersity in the residence life department.  As part of my package I get a 2 b/r apartment on campus. I am not responsible for any payments.

~Declare it..Claim it..It will be!!~
    imageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickersimage
    5/9/09: Plans, Pics, F/S 11/10/10: BFP Chart Baby Ds Stuff & Coupons!! WTH has Obama done so far!?
  • Options
    melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I put the portion of our motgage we pay in NJ (rest is covered by our tenant) and our rent in OH.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ours is really low - our taxes are very very cheap that's why and I bought my house for pennies so I'm sorta a special snowflake I guess

The houses we are looking to own will run us more; probably about $1400-$1700/month
  • Options
    edited December 2011

When we bought our house our mortgage was in the $2000-2500 range, when we refinanced we went down to the $1500-2000 range and because our property taxes are going down, we're saving $600/year or $50 a month. It keeps us in the $1500-2000 range, but I'm happy with that.

• Options
    edited December 2011

taxes in west orange blow donkey balls - but I love it here so I can't leave.  i'm at 2600 right now - but i'd LOVE to refi and get a lower rate.  my credit just isn't top notch right now, so i doubt there'd be any takers!

imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Amerz20Amerz20 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I pay $1250 for a one bedroom in Edison. I think that price is kind of high. Although It is kind of spacious and we do have our own washer and dryer in our unit. No utilities are included except water. The electric bill can get really high in the summer because we are on the third floor. I guess another plus is that I live so close to my job. Its not even a half mile away from where I live. We are hoping to buy in Oct.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Spunk - where on earth do you live that your taxes go DOWN? Is that la-la land, new jersey?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We pay a little over $2600 for our mortgage.  We live in MA, so I may be skewing the data if you were looking for just NJ responses.
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    MyeMye
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    my house is not that big at all, like 2000 sq ft, and my taxes are like 3k more than my parents who have a much bigger house and land, that alone brings up my mtg payment a ton!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    They adjusted the property tax rate. It went from being 54% of purchase price x a multiplier, I think it worked out to be ~2%. We are now being taxed at 2.1% of FMV/fair market value and b/c of the crash, and us having a new house that is worth less than what we paid (although still a fair assessment), taxes went down. They probably only went down for our neighborhood and the new 55+ community built in 2004-2006 b/c a lot of the other houses in town were old and assessments were pre-2000.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Property taxes are still ridiculous though. Over 1/3 of my mortgage goes to my property taxes, even with the drop for 2010. For 2009, my parents property taxes and mine were about the same, but they have over 2x the land - similar size house, just 20 years older. Theirs are going up for 2010, per usual.

• Options
    FutureMrsF111FutureMrsF111 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We pay 1800 in rent for a 2 bedroom that is about 1200 sq ft. Going up to 1899 in February. I know other people in our building are paying 2400-2800 for the same and smaller units so I guess we got a really good deal.

I think people in the burbs are ok with talking about rent but get shy about mortgages. I think people feel a mortgage says alot more about where you are financially and a lot of people arent comfortable with that.

• Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    To me there's a big difference in a mortgage payment and a rent payment. I pay $1700 in rent for a two bedroom, three bath townhouse with a garage.

We're willing to spend substantially more than that a month when we buy a house.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    DS0305DS0305 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The good thing is that we lived with our parents up until the time we bought the house so we saved up a lot and were able to put a lot down on the house, which helped lower our mortgage payment.  Our monthly payment is in the $2500 - $3000 range. 
  • Options
    alliecarrie41alliecarrie41 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    well this is kinda titled i assume since i own vs. rent.  when i rented in nyack my 1 bedroom was $1200/month.  you can imagine what my mortgage is now when i own.  ugh.  worth owning?  yes.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our monthly payment is $2900 but we own a two family house and get $1250 from  the renter upstairs so really only pay $1700 a month. 
  • Options
    stacieb311stacieb311 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we rent in ramsey nj (bergen county) and pay 1525 for a small 2 BD dont know what sq ft is. water and heat are included and we didnt have to pay deposit or broker fee (which is why we moved in that saved about $2300!). i can afford to pay a little more but FI doesnt make that much so if we want to buy a house i dont know if we can even afford it. i want to cause i hate just throwing away money on a rental but dont think we can afford buying!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards