North Carolina
Options

Update on my disappearing caterer.

We have still not reached anyone at Smokin' Man BBQ.  I found a phone number for someone in an office near the address i remitted my check to.  She didn't know anything about them.  I posted on the Smokin' Man page on facebook and someone said they heard they shut their doors a couple of months ago.  :(    I would still like to try to get my deposit back so I was pretty busy today!  I checked on the NC Secretary of State website and they're still listed as a legal entity. Then I went on the Attorney General's website & filed a complaint, which I'll follow up by mailing with all correspondence I've had with Smokin' Man. I also prepared a letter to be sent certified to the address on file with the state, asking for my deposit back. Hopefully that will get me somewhere!

In the meantime, we have talked to two caterers that my wedding coordinator knows personally.  Got one quote back over the weekend.  We are supposed to get the second quote back by Tuesday.  I want to have a new caterer by Wednesday.  

The good news is, one way or another, I will be married on August 3rd.  :)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Update on my disappearing caterer.

• Options
    Beth0882Beth0882 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That stinks!!  Sounds like you are taking the right steps to try to get your money back, though! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That really stinks! Sorry you're having to go through all of this, but I'm glad you're taking all of those steps! Good luck getting your deposit back. Despite everything that's going on and how stressed you could be, I'm so glad you have the outlook you have. That's what will make this a "funny" story one day and not your then H's horror story. :) (Apparently I've been watching too much Bridezillas)!
  • Options
    pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Dang it, I was hoping for a good news update.  I'm glad you're being proactive.  Hopefully they'll send back your money and all will work out. 

I hope the new caterers are even better.
  • Options
    NcsuPsychNcsuPsych member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Man, I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. However like pp have said, it sounds like you've taking the right steps to get your money back though. Hopefully it'll work, if not you could go to small claims court if that's a venture you want to persue.

Aside from that, I've got to say, you've got an excellent outlook which is excellent! :)
    I hope these two new vendors pan out and work out wonderfully for you! :)

Keep us updated!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for the positive comment and encouragement.  I'm really looking forward to hearing from the second caterer.  I think either one will be great.  :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Damn you are awesome for keeping such a positive outlook with this drama going on! I really hope you get your deposit back and all the wrongs are righted. But if not, at least you've come up with a backup plan that will work just fine. Best of luck!!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    jennieweaver1jennieweaver1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am so sorry you are going through this! You have an awesome outlook though! Hopefully the new caterer will be ten times better than the original! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 135 Invited
    image 105 are ready to party! image 30 have better things to do image0 need to check their mailboxes!
    RSVP Date: Sept 08
    http://jennieweaver.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you.  Just trying to put only positive out!  No time for negativity, right?  :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow, Ur handling things sooo much better then I did when I had issues with the dress shop that lied to me, an tried to take my money. Idk how you stay so positive an ZEN, but It must be a true blessing in the chaos called planning a wedding.lol. I hope U love the new people you go with for caterering. Btw, you might also should try reporting them to the Better bussines Bureao,or however thats spelled.haha, Idk if it will do a ton of good but it might  if they try to reopen sumwhere else. Good Luck.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh man that's terrible!  I hope you're able to recoup at least some of your deposit.  How terrible of them to not even contact you when they went out of business!
  • Options
    carolinagal78carolinagal78 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I kind of know how you feel. My photographer closed his business and was moving out of state. He never let me know and had $240 of my deposit. Luckily my planner found out and was able to help me get my deposit back. I don't understand what some people think and why they do the things they do. This is a wedding which is one of the biggest days of our lives. It's not a birthday party.

Luckily I found out in plenty of time to book a new photographer. I think you are handling your situation really well. Kudos to you! I would be super stressed. I hope everything works out with you getting your money back and finding a new caterer. Good luck!
    image 114 Made the cut!
    image 84 Are ready to celebrate! image 20 Are missing out! image 10 Don't understand RSVP?!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just went to their website and although there are plenty of statements about how they will provide you with the best catering experience in the business and there are links to their contact page, their actual number and email address are nowhere to be found! They also posted that their 2011 catering schedule is full and that you should check back next year. How odd. I'm glad you've taken some serious steps to getting your money back and I hope you've reported them to the Better Business Bureau. Good luck with your new caterers! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Just found their twitter page and their yelp.com info. They list two different phone numbers with different area codes (one's for the Raleigh area, the other's for the New Bern/Rocky Mount area). Have you tried both numbers?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards