New Jersey
Options

What cookware set (pots and pans) did you register for??

I hate researching this kind of stuff and I think someone once mentioned on here that the non-stick pots and pans aren't good or something like that (can't remember).

So which pots and pans did you register for and why?

TIA!
image 182 Invited
image 0 Are ready to party!
image 0 Will be missing the fun
image 0 Can't find the mailbox...

RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2011
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: What cookware set (pots and pans) did you register for??

• Options
    smw42smw42 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We currently own a small set of cuisinart stainless steel and we really like them, so we registered for the larger set.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=106828&RN=397&

Non-stick is bad because the teflon, when heated at high temperatures, turns carcinogenic.

http://lowfatcooking.about.com/od/healthandfitness/a/nonstickpans.htm
    Anniversary Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We registered for (and received) the All Clad 10 piece stainless steel set. All Clad is more expensive than other brands, but it lasts FOREVER. My parents have had their set for about 15 years and it's still in great condition. We also registered for a few other pieces that weren't included in the set (also All Clad).

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=83252&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results

A good pot set is an investment. It's one of those things "you get what you pay for." So personally I think it's worth the extra money to buy/receive pots/pans once instead of having to replace them every few years.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    All Clad Stainless steel.  I hate cooking with teflon/non-stick.  I would have liked to splurge for copper, but that set was REALLY expensive.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Are there any good brands that don't have metal handles?  I know it sounds silly, but I'm the intelligent one who has a tendency to lift the covers off pots without a towel or mitt and then burn myself (this happens on a fairly regular basis, haha).
    image 182 Invited
    image 0 Are ready to party!
    image 0 Will be missing the fun
    image 0 Can't find the mailbox...

RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2011
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We registered (and have received already) Calphalon Unison.   They are non-teflon coated but also aren't stainless.  I cook a lot and also wanted a few stainless steel piece like a big-a$$ saute pan...

So far so good with the Unison collection (pricest line of calphalon)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_cookware-set-pots-pans-did-register?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:683dc1e0-d7ab-4287-925f-44feb8fdf48aPost:f13dd0af-ade5-4e2b-8328-f77324f068d6">Re: What cookware set (pots and pans) did you register for??</a>:
    [QUOTE]We registered for (and received) the All Clad 10 piece stainless steel set. All Clad is more expensive than other brands, but it lasts FOREVER. My parents have had their set for about 15 years and it's still in great condition. We also registered for a few other pieces that weren't included in the set (also All Clad). <a href="http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=83252&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results" rel="nofollow">http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=83252&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results</a> A good pot set is an investment. It's one of those things "you get what you pay for." So personally I think it's worth the extra money to buy/receive pots/pans once instead of having to replace them every few years.
    Posted by rlb81[/QUOTE]

Same for me!
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We registered for Calphalon Unision but I'm constantly second-guessing myself haha
  • Options
    smw42smw42 member
    edited December 2011
    They sell mitts for the handle. We have a rubber one that I keep right next to the stove and I put it on right when I take the pot out of the cabinet.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=15033118
    Anniversary Photobucket
  • Options
    Danes983Danes983 member
    edited December 2011
    I got Emeril 14 set of pots.  They are really high rated.  I chose these ovet the All Clad because those were so heavy I needed two hands to lift. And since I do most of the cooking I didnt think it would be best.  This is his line for Calphalon.  I am very excited!
  • Options
    Laurms15Laurms15 member
    edited December 2011
    I have the cusinart stainless and I really like them. We got them when we moved in together because DH had about 4 pots and they were the "non stick" and I hated them and their general design.

I am however slowly building up All Clad pieces becaue its also what my parents have and I love it. I cook a ton so its well worth it!
  • Options
    dmoney79dmoney79 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we didn't register for anything fancy really....just the rachel ray cookware....mh's sister was working in linens n things around the time we got engaged, and we were looking around and saw this green set of cookware....we thought it was neat....
    actually, we didn't really register for it....mh's grandmother bought it for us before we even registered as an engagement present......
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i registered for emeril pots too with cooper bottoms it says their made by all clad also all of the handles and lids stay cool
  • Options
    felicia220felicia220 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have Paula Dean's Non-Stick set and then an All-Clad Stainless Steel Set.  

Peaches- I was the same way about the handle, but I haven't had a problem with the handle getting hot, which I thought was weird.  I guess the heat just doesn't transfer as well to the handle.  

I like using non-stick for certain things and as others have said, ALL-CLAD will last forever!
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We got the Emeril All-Clad 10-piece set, because I remembered reading on here that it's a less expensive way to get the All-Clad brand.

I actually don't know how they are, because we haven't opened it yet! We're saving a lot of our shower stuff for when we get a house, as a "fresh start." But it got good reviews here (which is why we chose that set in the first place) so hopefully it'll be fine.

http://www1.macys.com/registry/wedding/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=396909&CategoryID=7631
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Stainless is pretty much the way to go.  Teflon/Nonstick has some poisonous elements to it that we all really shouldn't be eating.
    We actually ended up getting a Cuisinart Hard Anodized set - hard anodized gives that same non stick feel but w/o the teflon 
  • Options
    teacup0618teacup0618 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We just registered yesterday for the Calphalon Unison, from what i read they are the best of the Calphalon because they are the only ones that are dishwasher safe...not sure if thats true or not but thats what i read so thats what we did.
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    After researching Calphalon and All Clad repeatedly got the best reviews. We went with All Clad.
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    All-Clad 10-piece stainless for me too.  I didn't go for copper because it is too expensive.  But I had heard better things about All-Clad than Calphalon, and I already had a few pieces of both and preferred the All-Clad.  I love my pots and pans.

I do have one non-stick Calphalon pot, and a Le Creuset cast-iron frying pan.  They both serve their purposes.  But I definitely wouldn't get a whole set of non-stick.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I have the cuisinart set mentioned above.  I have had it for 2 years and really like it.  For the wedding I registered for a le creuset dutch oven.  I have been using it for about a month now and I am so in love.  I like that it heats up quickly and retains an even heat while cooking.   I may love it more than my kitchenaid mixer. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My suggestion is to get a set of decent, dishwasher safe for everyday use (lots mentioned above)

If you have a specific need for a non-stick or specialty pan, then register for that particular pan alone (some others mentioned this too)

It would suck to get an entire set of non-dishwasher non-stick pans for everyday use and then have to hand wash your pans every night. 
    image Tuffy
    RIP Little Man October 15, 1995 - June 1, 2010
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Calphalon Unison and sooooooo excited! Ever since we registered I see the set everywhere and nudge my FI: "Oh look, honey! Unison's on Top Chef!" lol 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We registered for All-Clad stainless as well.  My aunt swears by it and it's really nice to use them when I cook with her, so I can't wait to get my own.
    image 219 Invited image 149 Attending image 68 Declined image 2 Haven't Replied
    RSVP Date July 7
    My Bio updated 5/31/10
  • Options
    melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Nonstick is good for things like frying eggs or other sticky-type foods. It's good to get at least a nonstick frying pan or two.

We registered for invidiual pieces as opposed to a set. The sets had lots of items that would go unused by us. We did two nonstick flying pans (Calphalon) and then the other pieces were All-Clad stainless steel.
  • Options
    tommynkristentommynkristen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We went for the Bronze Analon cookware set at Macys.  Didn't get them yet, but hope we do!   

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=330215&CategoryID=39282
    May 2006 image
  • Options
    mrs.ammamrs.amma member
    First Comment First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

We registered for the Calphalon Contemporary Stainless set. I haven't used them yet, but I'm excited to! I don't think you can go wrong with any Calphalon or All Clad lines. They are very high quality lines

August 2010 August Siggy Challange!
    Favorite Pic with FI
    Photobucket
  • Options
    grace_anngrace_ann member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I registered for analon advanced. Haven't used them yet but am excited to!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards