New Jersey
Options

Groom's tux....no tie

I know I still have plenty of time, but the conversation has come up and I need some opinions. My FI and I are getting married at The Manor next April. We are having a 6:30pm ceremony, so formal. But not Black tie. We have been discussing his tux lately. He is very picky about tuxedos. The past few weddings he's been in, he's hated them! He's either hated the material of the shirt, cut of the shirt, vest or jacket, cut of the pants....and don't even get him started on the shoes! LOL! Anyways, whenever we've gone out to a wedding or any formal event he's always looked great! He'll normally do a suit just no tie and rock it with a pair of boots...no dress shoes for him, which is totally fine with me. Whatever he feels comfortable in. For the wedding though, he wants to do no tie as well, and I just don't know if it'll look right? I want him to be happy and comfortable the whole day, but I just don't want it to look casual, or unfinished. My dress is fabulous, IMO...LOL! And to me it's formal, there's a picture of it in my profile. So I wanted to know what you ladies think? Do you think it would work? Or do you think it'll look unfinished? Also, he would like to find a higher cut vest, not the low ones that normally go with tuxes. Any suggestions where to look? Men's wearhouse is out, been there.

TIA!!!!!

Re: Groom's tux....no tie

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it's fine if he doesn't wear a tie, but I would not be OK with boots to his own wedding.
    Logan Alexander born May 9th 2011. He has stolen my heart forever. Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP #2 05/24/12 EDD 01/31/13 D&C 06/26/12 Missing you. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Diagnosed with Ashermans 11/06/12 Surgery 01/18/13, Cleared for TTC 03/01/13 image
    My Ovulation Chart
    || Ovulation Tracker
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What kind of suit would he wear? 

What would the groomsmen wear?

I like the look of a suit with no tie when it is done right, but I'm not sure how I'd feel about a tux with no tie.  I'd have to see pictures.  And also even though I like the look generally, I'm not sure that I think that a suit with no tie is appropriate for formal events -- for beach or more casual weddings, sure, but not for a formal one.  So I'd think you'd run the risk of him being dressed more casually than most of the guests, which is kind of awkward.

And I agree with no boots, either way.  Not appropriate for a formal event.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We haven't decided on the style of suit/tux. We're still just talking about it. I just don't want him to be uncomfortable either. Especially since he NEVER wears ties.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    And you never wear a bridal gown.....it's a special day that requires special attire for most people. You might not be a 100% comfortable in your dress and shoes but you want to look special, right?
    Logan Alexander born May 9th 2011. He has stolen my heart forever. Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP #2 05/24/12 EDD 01/31/13 D&C 06/26/12 Missing you. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Diagnosed with Ashermans 11/06/12 Surgery 01/18/13, Cleared for TTC 03/01/13 image
    My Ovulation Chart
    || Ovulation Tracker
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_grooms-tuxno-tie?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:6d43a730-50ce-4a5d-b825-39bd580b4da7Post:81251d8a-c038-41b6-92af-8ace0f02f70c">Re: Groom's tux....no tie</a>:
    [QUOTE]We haven't decided on the style of suit/tux. We're still just talking about it. I just don't want him to be uncomfortable either. Especially since he NEVER wears ties.
    Posted by jrgoogrl[/QUOTE]

I think that's kind of part of being a grown up though, to be honest.  There are occasions on which you have to wear a tie in order to be appropriate.  I would hope he wears ties to formal weddings, to funerals, to job interviews (if in a corporate environment), etc.  If not, he isn't appropriately dressed.

I can't say I find bras comfortable, but I wear them every day.  I also don't find heels comfortable but although I sometimes wear them for fashion, sometimes I wear them because they're what's appropriate to wear under the circumstances.

If you really want him to not wear a tie, you should make the attire for your wedding less formal.  I would find a way to convey that to guests though so they don't overdress.  And I would make sure that your bridesmaid dresses and such match that level of fanciness.

I did a google search to see if I could find a picture of a tux without a tie to see what it would look like, and I found this:<strong> <a href="http://tinyurl.com/groomwithouttie" rel="nofollow">http://tinyurl.com/groomwithouttie</a> . </strong> All opinions of course, but people reacted very strongly.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes, I see your point. Personally I love getting dressed up! And I love my gown, my shoes I haven't found yet, but that's a whole other situation. I've joked with my mom that I'll be in my dress the entire weekend of our wedding just because I love it so much. But, this thread isn't about me, it's about my FI. He's rock and roll, and edgy and always looks great, especially when we go out. I want him on our wedding day to look like himself, obviously just very well dressed. So I don't know if maybe the best option for him is to buy a suit/tux that he will be happy with, or rent something he's not a fan of. The groomsmen of course will just rent their suits/tuxes since I have yet to find the difference between a very well made suit and tux, other than you can have tails....which is out for us.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_grooms-tuxno-tie?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:6d43a730-50ce-4a5d-b825-39bd580b4da7Post:f3ffde64-80b9-4efb-83dc-6798e0e2bdff">Re: Groom's tux....no tie</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes, I see your point. Personally I love getting dressed up! And I love my gown, my shoes I haven't found yet, but that's a whole other situation. I've joked with my mom that I'll be in my dress the entire weekend of our wedding just because I love it so much. But, this thread isn't about me, it's about my FI. He's rock and roll, and edgy and always looks great, especially when we go out. I want him on our wedding day to look like himself, obviously just very well dressed. So I don't know if maybe the best option for him is to buy a suit/tux that he will be happy with, or rent something he's not a fan of. The groomsmen of course will just rent their suits/tuxes since I have yet to find the difference between a very well made suit and tux, other than you can have tails....which is out for us.
    Posted by jrgoogrl[/QUOTE]

Differences between suit and tux: <a href="http://www.jimsformalwear.com/protocol_tux_vs_suit.htm" rel="nofollow">http://www.jimsformalwear.com/protocol_tux_vs_suit.htm</a>

You should maybe look at red carpet pictures of people in the music industry and see what they've done that fits them but also is appropriate for the setting (with the caveat that at any given Grammies, a bunch of them look ridiculous/are not dressed appropriately).  Or check out men's magazines that are a little fashiony. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much for the info! I'll check out the links you included and do some research.
  • Options
    smw42smw42 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try Hollywood Bridal & Tuxedo in Kennilworth. My FI is picky about tuxedo's as well and he was very happy with the quality and service so far.
    Anniversary Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards