North Carolina
Options

What is the average cost to hire an Officiant?

Hi Knotties!

I'm on a very tight budget and would like to know what is the average cost for an Officiant or ordain minister to come out to officate a ceremony? We want a civil/non-religious ceremony type of deal?

I don't plan on doing a rehearsal and will just need the indivudal for probably less than 30 minutes.  They would just need to arrive 15 minutes and stay until the ceremony is over, and I would invite them to stay for dinner.

I inquire about one and the individual is quoting me for $325.  I'm sure that would include fees,travel and etc.

Is that too much?  I would really like to say under $100 and is that a reasonable price?  I'm on a 5k budget, so yes there isn't a lot of wiggle room either.  Am I being too frugal???

HELP!!!

Re: What is the average cost to hire an Officiant?

• Options
    NcsuPsychNcsuPsych member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    What county are you in? Wake county doesn't allow E-officiants, but I believe (don't qoute me) that other counties do allow this, and in this case, it would be MUCH cheaper.

We used DH's aunt and gifted her $100 which pretty much covered travel + her room, plus we got her another little gift too :o)

When we were looking for someone before we found out his aunt could marry us, we were qouted 500 from someone and then another 100 for the rehearsal. IMO, 100 for 30 mins is CRAZY. . . 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_average-cost-hire-officiant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:115Discussion:5b8aa069-df50-48ed-a310-ae54e54714b1Post:1954cea6-7e35-4c78-a012-acadfb503375">Re: What is the average cost to hire an Officiant?</a>:
    [QUOTE]What county are you in? Wake county doesn't allow E-officiants, but I believe (don't qoute me) that other counties do allow this, and in this case, it would be MUCH cheaper. We used DH's aunt and gifted her $100 which pretty much covered travel + her room, plus we got her another little gift too :o) When we were looking for someone before we found out his aunt could marry us, we were qouted 500 from someone and then another 100 for the rehearsal. IMO, 100 for 30 mins is CRAZY. . . 
    Posted by NcsuPsych[/QUOTE]

It's a bit complicated!  I live in Mecklenburg currently and will be getting marry in Caldwell county.  We plan to get our marriage license through Catawba county because that's where FI is originally from?

I will plan to call the register of deeds office or clerk's office in catawba county to verify if they would accept E-officiants or not

Thanks so much for your help!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    New Hanover had no problem accepting our e-officiant for our wedding. When I was looking here for other officiants though, I was quoted $150.
  • Options
    birdcagebridebirdcagebride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we paid a lot of money ($500 I think) but it came with rehearsal and she took care of everything for us as far as mailing forms in and we even got a keepsake copy of our ceremony.  She gave us a ton of resources to help us create our ceremony and we had a personal consultation.  There is a cheaper package that she offers without the rehearsal that I think was in the $250ish but we absolutely loved Barbara Lodge.  She did such a wonderful job and we were very happy with her services.

p.s. looking back I see she offers ceremony without a rehearsal for $100.  Keep in mind those are 2008ish pricing since that's when I booked.  It may be different.  If she travels to your area, I would definitely look into checking her out.  www.ncweddingminister.com  She charges a travel fee for anywhere outside an hour from Chapel Hill, NC...though my email doesn't say how much.
    My Blog - My Bio - NC Bride Bio - Pro Video

Photo by Evoke Photography
    image imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all so much for your help so far!!!
  • Options
    alliegator8alliegator8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are getting married on the coast.  Our officiant is costing us $400 with the rehearsal.  I was shocked when I saw the prices, as we are on a very tight budget too.  Since your ceremony isn't religious, you might be about to find a city official or judge to preform the ceremony for much cheaper.  My mom works for a judge.  She offered to do our ceremony for us, but things just didn't work out getting her down here.  So there are ways around it.
  • Options
    janice1980janice1980 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we were quoted $300.  That includes consultation and a keep sake of our personalized ceremony.  He is highly recommended in Mecklenburg county. 

here is his web-site
    http://www.calmbluewater.com/

good luck.
    panther Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am an ordained minister and our church has me charge $300 if it is not a member but I have done it for less.  If you are in the triangle or triad area, let me know and I will work with you
  • Options
    Amber598Amber598 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our Officiant is $350 and she is based in the Raleigh area.  Her name is Kayelily Middleton.  Super awesome reverend!
    June 2011 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Christmas Movie
    My Planning Bio

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The best officiants in this area just went up to $400. They are Rev Patrick Maloy and Rev.Rebecca Nagy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards