New Jersey
Options

If a vendor...

So from what I've been reading on here, if your hired vendor (ie photog, DJ, Videoagrapher, etc) are self employed there is no need to tip on the day of the wedding?

Our DJ and Photographer are both owner / operators so to speak and I dont want to come off cheap. Just wondering if that is common knowledge somewhere so i have reference.

Re: If a vendor...

• Options
    I was wondering this as well.
    All our vendors own the business- and I'd feel odd not tipping anyone.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I am not tipping vendors who are the owners of their own businesses, which is the majority, if not all, of our vendors. Don't you think we are paying them enough?! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    205 invited image
    160 are ready to party image
    45 are missing out image
    0 can't find their mailbox image
    RSVP Deadline: October 1, 2012
  • Options
    sh228955sh228955 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited July 2012
    In Response to Re:If a vendor...:I am not tipping vendors who are the owners of their own businesses, which is the majority, if not all, of our vendors. Don't you think we are paying them enough?! : Posted by klustig This. I believe the reasoning behind it is that when they own their own business, anything you pay them goes directly to them, outside of what the actual service costs them to produce, of course. When I think of it that way, it makes me feel less awkward about not tipping the owners.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Ahhh, yes. That makes more sense. Thanks! Now I don't feel bad.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    There are no "rules" to tipping. If you feel they deserve a tip, give them a tip. Pretty simple.
  • Options
    Although they own it a tip might still be in order. I would bring cash the night of and decide if he/she went above and beyond to do a great job. 
  • Options
    My vendors are owners, so I am not planning on tipping them.  However a nice letter of thank you and the option to use you as a reference would be a good gesture if they provided excellent service.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    There are no rules.  For me, I know that I never tip the owner of the restaurant in which we dine, but we do tip the waiter who is an employee.  I try to keep it that simple.
  • Options
    This was a difficult decision.  We made up tip envelopes for everyone (owners or not) and decided as the night went on.  We found that both our Photographer & Videographer went way above & beyond - so we tipped them.  I work at a salon p/t & I have to say, the owner of the salon gets tipped all the time.  If you didn't know she was the owner you would tip her because she did a great service - right?? - so therefore I look at it that way:  Great service equals extra money in their pocket (tip).
  • Options
    I tipped the owners. I was happy with their service and I would have given a tip anyway if they weren't the owner, so it didn't really phase me.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_if-a-vendor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:784674c5-c2f7-455f-9a2e-7336ac2bf084Post:e40c5653-34af-4e06-b687-1b21fbcc575a">Re: If a vendor...</a>:
    [QUOTE]There are no rules.  For me, I know that I never tip the owner of the restaurant in which we dine, but we do tip the waiter who is an employee.  I try to keep it that simple.
    Posted by niolani21[/QUOTE]

<div>This is a horrible analogy. If the owner of the restaurant were also the chef and the waiter/waitress serving you, and working his/her ass off woud you tip them? I would hope so.</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards