New Jersey
Options

negotiate with photographers?

Were you able to negotiate package prices with your photographers? I love a photographer but feel she is a litle too expensive. I don't want to book unless I can get the price down a little  bit. Thanks

Re: negotiate with photographers?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    It can't hurt to ask.
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Agreed, it won't hurt to ask. The worst they can do is say no.

A lot of photographers I contacted said they'd adjust their pricing a bit to suit my budget. Some kept the price the same but offered to include things like an engagement shoot or extra prints in the price, where normally we'd have to pay extra for those things.
  • Options
    Reilly626Reilly626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mine did...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    They may not adjust their prices but they may adjust their packages to suit your needs.  It also doesn't hurt to tell the photographer that he or she is the one that you want.  Everyone loves flattery.  She/he may be more likely to work with you if she/he knows that you're not just trying to squeeze them.  Goodluck
    BabyFruit Ticker If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think. Even if we're apart i'll always be with you. - A.A. Milne
  • Options
    carlaspeedcarlaspeed member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    do it!! almost everything is negotiable, just ask!
  • Options
    sgdc2011sgdc2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mine took everything out of the package that we didn't want at the A La Carte Pricing.  It was great!  Some told me they would just add in other things or trade which I wasn't thrilled about because I wanted to get the price point down, others took it out at the price it would cost them, not me so I still wasn't getting the full price off which I really didn't like.
  • Options
    jchristeljchristel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Like PPs said, they may alter their packages.  My photographer included a lot of albums and pictures for the BP, I cut all of that out and asked for rights to print the pictures instead.  It brought the package price down a good bit and now I can make my own albums for parents.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    maddie7maddie7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mine knocked about $800 off, I was pleased.
  • Options
    Lola MinnieLola Minnie member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    May as well try, you never know.  This happened to be maybe the only vendor that didn't even budge trying to negotiate but we had looked at 5 other photographers and knew this was it so we signed, but went with the second largest package instead since it was more economical.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ours did too.. we were able to get discounts becuase we paid in cash, we used their videographer, and becuase we booked so far in advance we were able to get a few extras- more prints- and extra parent album etc..

it never hurts to ask! but be mindful that some people can be offended when u ask for a discount because it can almost seem like their work isn't worth the price. just be careful how you ask- that's all

good luck!
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Some will budge, some won't (ours didn't).  Depends on demand and such.  Certainly worth trying!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ours did- I told him if he did X price I would sign on the dot then. He agreed and drew up the contract.
    *~allie~*

• Options
    carlaspeedcarlaspeed member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also have a whole course on negotations from my mBA class, if you want I can e-mail you the ppt slides!
  • Options
    chica368chica368 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    carla...I would love to read them..my email is kellen813  at gmail
    Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards