North Carolina

Camera recs?

About 2 weeks before the wedding I thought I was going to have to buy a new camera. I did a little bit of research and took lots of notes...then I found my camera and threw my notes away because we didn't plan to buy another camera for about 2 years. Well, we lost the camera in Raleigh when we went down to visit and we're going to have to get another one :-/ Hopefully we'll get it in the next month or so. 

Do you have a camera you love/hate? Let me know about it. I'm basically going to start over with my search. TIA!

Re: Camera recs?

• edited December 2011
    I love my canon powershot, it has lots of great features. You can isolate one color and when you take the photo, only things that are that color will be in color, everything else will be black and white. Like this photo I took of Natalie below. I've had several powershots, and every time I upgrade my camera, I get another one, I'm hooked!

There are other features too that are awesome, but that's just my fav.
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • wlfpkbridewlfpkbride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I always said if there was only 1 more feature I could add to my old camera it would be that! I just don't know what it's called so I haven't been able to search for it. I've never had a canon but I've heard they were great. 
  • alliegator8alliegator8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

All my professional stuff is Canon.  They make really nice cameras.  My point and shoot camera is a Sony Cybershot.  It's the 3rd one I've owned.  They are great durable little cameras.  In my opinion, you can't go wrong with either.

• edited December 2011
    I think it's called color accent on my camera, but I'm not positive. :o)
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • wlfpkbridewlfpkbride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's a start :-) Do you know if it's standard on the powershots? I've looked at a few and I didn't see it mentioned. 
  • edited December 2011
    DH and I both have Sony Cybershots (purchased when we graduated high school in 2005 - haha!).  They're getting old so they're slowing down a bit (aka, sometimes when I push the button....it doesn't take the picture.  I have to try again.  That gets annoying, especially if it's not a posed shot.)  But anyway, we both really loved them back when we got them.  They took really clear pictures and the batteries seemed to last forever before having to recharge.  I recommended it to my aunt and she bought one because her cameras always had issues.  Well.....I don't know if they changed the newer models around a lot or what, but my aunt had issues with the Cybershot : ( DH and I will probably buy a new camera soon, and I'm sad to say that we'll have to do some research because the Cybershot may not be as great as it used to be.  I'm sure you know this, but I would read reviews on Best Buy & Amazon.
    image Matt & Ashley 5.08.10
  • edited December 2011
    I know it's been on the last few I have bought. I don't know my model number off hand, but I can check when I get home and let you know. :o)
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I've had 3-4 Canon Powershots over the years. I would never buy another one.

I got the Sony Cybershot w220 last year. Loved it! Picture quality was amazing, colors were rich, macro mode was awesome...!  Lost it within a year of purchasing it. Bought the Nikon Coolpix S570 to replace it.  Of the two, I prefer the Cybershot and would recommend it.
  • pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have a Nikon Coolpix.  I bought it because a long zoom was a priority for me at the time.  The picture quality is good, but it's kind of annoying to change the settings, and it recently reset itself to factory settings without me telling it to.  It's an OK camera, I probably wouldn't buy another one.  It does have a macro setting (also a priority for me) but doesn't do the one color thing, I didn't care as much about that.

My mom had a Canon somethingorother and loved it. 

I have a Canon film SLR and FI has a Canon digital SLR and we love both of those.  (ring pics in my bio were shot on FI's digital SLR)
  • janice1980janice1980 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also would recommend the sony cybershot. I got one for Christmas last year and love it.  it takes great pictures and very user friendly!
    panther Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Mary, to charge the battery on your coolpix do you have to use a corded charger? I hate that about the coolpix I have.  Digital cams I had in the past had small chargers that could be plugged directly into the wall. 
  • pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_camera-recs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:115Discussion:5e062887-2d98-4945-b23f-4d0347c82fb1Post:2726d180-de8e-401a-92b6-0d21e7253936">Re: Camera recs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Mary, to charge the battery on your coolpix do you have to use a corded charger? I hate that about the coolpix I have.  Digital cams I had in the past had small chargers that could be plugged directly into the wall. 
    Posted by CLTKate[/QUOTE]

Grrr yes.  Somehow the little clip that holds the battery in my camera broke, and the "door" that covers the battery is really loose.  So my battery falls out all over the place, but I don't want to tape it in because I have to take it out all the time to charge it.

Also, when I bought my camera I was really insistant on it using a USB plug to connect to a computer, because I didn't want to have to keep up with another cord.  Well, the coolpix uses a USB, but not the usual mini-USB that everything else I have uses.  SO I have to keep up with the camera, the battery that falls out everywhere, the battery charger (that's in 2 pieces) and the cord that only works with my camera.  And I usually have a typical mini-usb with me too because that's what everything else I have uses.  It's a pain.
  • edited December 2011
    Oh nooo!  That does sound like a pain!! I hate to have to keep track of more cords!! i h ave a ton of hard drives plugged in to my computer, card readers...the last thing I need is another cord to keep up with. 

I forgot, I did have one beef with the sony cybershot-  no matter what, it ALWAYS shot on 1/30th of a second shutter speed.  That is WAY too slow for daylight use.  It could cause slight motion blur in the pictures.
  • edited December 2011
    I have the waterproof, shockproof point and shoot Olympus and love it!!  I bought it after my Sony Cybershot decided to stop working a few years ago and haven't looked back ;)
  • ecuchikaecuchika member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love my Panasonic Luminx.  I had a Cannon Powershot and dropped it in 2009 and it jammed the lens so it wont go back into the camera. Making it totally not working.  I liked it for the most part; I had it most of college so in the tech world it was old.

My camera does HD video its way cool.  FI is big into cameras and so is his friend.  FIs friend got the same camera for his wife and FI liked it so much he got me one.

It is like 12 mega pixel so the pictures are always really clear.

the color thing is neat I think most cameras can do that though.

now only if I can learn to take better pictures!! hehe
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards