New Jersey
Options

Ceremony start time on invitations?

Hi ladies, I'm hoping for some help as I figure out my invitations.  An officiant that I met with suggested writing a ceremony start time on the invitation that is a half hour earlier than the intended start time.  For example, my ceremony will be at 7pm, but it was suggested to write 6:30pm on the invitation so that people have extra time to get there.  He also stated that people "expect" that the ceremony will start a half hour after the time written on the invitation.  I've never heard this before, so is this true?

I feel like this would be rude because if I saw a 6:30pm start time, I would probably get there at least by 6:15 for fear of being  late, and then I'd be sitting around waiting for 45 minutes since the ceremony wouldn't actually be starting until 7pm. 

Thoughts?

Re: Ceremony start time on invitations?

• Options
    Your officiant is wrong.  This is terribly rude to your guests.  Write the correct starting time on the invite.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_ceremony-start-time-on-invitations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:80511f6c-bb66-4b80-ad2f-48818640cf22Post:cf7f9a26-d89a-47ee-9b38-8d1e55f3147b">Re: Ceremony start time on invitations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Your officiant is wrong.  This is terribly rude to your guests.  Write the correct starting time on the invite.
    Posted by HobokenBride2012[/QUOTE]

<div>That's exactly what I was thinking.  Thank you for the reply!</div>
  • Options
    My minister told me that our start time is 11 am, but the processional would start at 11:05 in order to give people a few minutes to get to their seats.  If anyone comes after 11:05, they will just have to sit after we all walk down the aisle.

I did go to to a cermony at the same place as the reception - and the start time on the invite was a half hour later. We were all pretty annoyed.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• Options
    it might depend on your guests. FI family is extremely punctual but my family is the exact opposite. If I were to put the actual time on my invitations most of my family including some of my immediate family would not be there!
  • Options
    In addition to the rude factor, my venue did not want us telling people to come 30 min early because they didn't want them hanging around- especially the people who would come 45 minutes early.
    Anniversary Visit JerseyShore.Weddings.com
  • Options
    I've never heard of that before, our ceremoney starts at 3 and that is what I put on the invitation....I know when I get an invite for something that says 3, I am there at 2:45, I wouldn't be happy if I then sat there for 45min waiting, plus I dont think your guests would understand that the intended start time was really 3:30 but instead would just think you were a very late bride.....also, I know that my Church only allows the florist to come in 45min-1hour early to set up, so I wouldnt want my guests arriving as they are setting up for the ceremony either.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    jcg98jcg98 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_ceremony-start-time-on-invitations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:80511f6c-bb66-4b80-ad2f-48818640cf22Post:aeb42451-5063-4d2f-9afe-cc1e680c87e6">Re: Ceremony start time on invitations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]it might depend on your guests. FI family is extremely punctual but my family is the exact opposite. If I were to put the actual time on my invitations most of my family including some of my immediate family would not be there!
    Posted by SraEstrella811[/QUOTE]

<div>So you will knowingly make your FI's family sit around for however extra long just because your family can't get it together to be at a wedding on time?  </div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• Options
    Our venue told us to put half an hour before, its  a standard there! As long as the ceremony is 30 mins.
  • Options
    Putting a fake start time punishes the people who come on time and rewards those who are late. Screw the people who are always late. Put the right time and start on time.
  • Options
    I ended up putting 6:00 for a 6:30 ceremony and there were people there by 5:15, which made it awkward because we were trying to take all of our pictures before hand. We were ready to go at 6:00 but had to wait for the officiant, who didn't get there until 6:20ish. People were annoyed that they had to wait so long to get started, especially since they knew me and my DH were there!

Now that I know better, I would have put 6:15 instead of 6:00.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards