New Jersey
Options

Is this a New Jersey thing?!?

I'm not originally from New Jersey, but of the few weddings I have attended I've never seen "stations" for the cocktail hour or during dinner.   The past weddings I've attended had served appetizers and a sit down dinner.  I don't want my guests to have to get up and get their food in addition to the dinner being served and i'd rather have waiters walk around with the appetizers.  All the packages have these stations...whats the deal?

Re: Is this a New Jersey thing?!?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    stations are usualy during the cocktail hour, which is in a separate location from the main ballroom. So people won't be seated when teh stations are available.

And yes, I think i's maybe not a NJ thing, but a NY-metro-area thing. Maybe near other major cites as well.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yep, it's pretty much a tri-state area thing. But I think they have people walking around passing around the apps as well as stations for things that can't be easily passed -such as carving, cheeses to choose from etc.
  • Options
    leah2bleah2b member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Agreed with above- the tri-state area goes big with the cocktail hour.  Usually stations in addition to butler passed apps. 

this is pretty embarressing, but the first time I went to a wedding down here after moving here, I thought the cocktial hour was the wedding!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Some places let you choose. There's a venue in Warren Co. where you get 8 apps for cocktail hour. You chose how you want them served (stations, butler passed, etc.).

Also, I've never seen stations during dinner. It's always been cocktail hour. And most places there really isn't too much seating at cocktail hour. Just small tables. So it's not a big deal to get up and get food.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The only time I've seen stations during dinner was at cocktail receptions.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I have only been to one wedding that DIDNT have stations and i thought that wedding was odd
  • Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    It's considered an upgrade from hand passed appetizers.  It's basically expected here.  The weddings I've been too without stations came across as cheaper.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I live in Boston but I am from NJ originally. It is definitely an NJ thing. I have never been to weddings here that have that much food. As a matter of fact, I have been showing some friends all the food that we are getting at our wedding and they were in awe!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You should not find any stations during the actual dinner, only in the cocktail hour. It's great for your guests, that way they can  A LOT of food, and are not stuck eating the same thing.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm actually doing a stations wedding...for me, it's an upgrade from a buffet.  Our dinner will be served not on a buffet line, but at different "themed" stations around the room, like an Asian station, seafood station, meat & potatoes station, pasta station, etc.  We didn't want a sit-down dinner but also didn't just want to do a buffet so for us this was a great alternative and there is going to be an insane amount of food for our guests to choose from!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards