New Jersey
Options

New Homeowners (housewarming gift?)

Our engaged friends just bought their first house. They've always lived with their parents so they're going to need a lot of essentials - furniture, kitchenware, decor, linens and towels, etc. I think his mom is getting them pots and pans, and I'm sure their families will give them cash or other things.

I figured we'd get them a gift card once they move in and we see the place. I don't know to where, though. Since it's slow I thought I'd poll you:

Re: New Homeowners (housewarming gift?)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My favorite gift when we bought our house was a big wicker basket (which I now keep towels in) FILLED with cleaning supplies & kitchen staples!!! Sounds crazy, and makes me feel old, but it was the most fun gift I ever got, and infinitely useful!
    BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Being married is a real thriller! =)

• Options
    smw42smw42 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like the idea of giving a smaller version of what Heather described with a gift card to Home Depot/Lowe's. Home Depot was our 2nd home when we bought our place and by far the most useful gift card.
    Anniversary Photobucket
  • Options
    DandT1206DandT1206 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    DH and I lived with our parents up until we got married too, so we had a lot to buy.
    I voted BB&B, but I would also like Home Depot/Lowe's.  We lived in those stores for the first couple of months after we moved!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I voted for Target, but if you'd prefer a real gift I like the idea of fancy cleaning products.  My sister got us some eco-friendly kitchen cleaning products from Cucina when we moved into our apartment, and that was probably my favorite gift.  I'd nix the towels because even neutrals don't got with everything (tan would clash with our stuff, and I bet white would class with others' stuff).

Other ideas if you don't want to give a gift card: kitchen candle or kitchen soaps (Williams-Sonoma has great ones), champagne or nice wine, a plant...
  • Options
    Laurms15Laurms15 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think cleaning supplies are a fantastic idea....just make sure they aren't allergic to anything. There is something in tide and some other cleaning products that sometimes gives me hives.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I lived in Home Depot too when we got our first home.  Another place I love is home goods.  They have such great prices for everything. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Thanks! I appreciate the thoughts.

Gift basket plus a gift card sounds like a good idea. I remember when I moved out of my parents' house and suddenly getting depressed that I actually had to go out and buy cleaning products, dish towels, a can opener, toilet paper, etc. (things I always took for granted because Mom bought them, lol).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Home depot or lowes (which ever is closer to them).  I remember the 1000 dollar weekend trips were not fun....any GC would help.
    1st Groom

View our FOR SALE items
    http://tinyurl.com/3jjv7vy
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I really like the cleaning supplies basket, and I would include paper towels. when we first moved into our apartment we had a paper towel holder with no paper towels so our counter top looked phallic until I made it to the store! lol

Photobucket

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wait, just read that they're engaged.  Do they have a registry yet?  If so, I would maybe buy something from it, or at least get a sense of the kinds of things they want/how they'll be decorating, so maybe you can buy something coordinating.
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_new-homeowners-housewarming-gift?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:8e23b04d-2a1d-4de1-a71e-f03302ffa844Post:80e0ee5f-b5c4-4637-8623-dee024ea353f">Re: New Homeowners (housewarming gift?)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wait, just read that they're engaged.  Do they have a registry yet?  If so, I would maybe buy something from it, or at least get a sense of the kinds of things they want/how they'll be decorating, so maybe you can buy something coordinating.
    Posted by uppereastgirl[/QUOTE]

No registry yet. I think they're on the two-year plan, or at least letting things settle down with the house first.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    . I voted Lowes/Home depot but any of those options will do. We just moved inot our first house Memorial Day weekend and we have been at Lowes everyother day. We have also been to all of the other store you listed for essentials and cleaning supplies.

Heather And Stephen

10-2-10

• Options
    edited December 2011
    i voted bed bath & beyond.  i absoultely HATE spending money there but i ALWAYS need stuff from there.  plus...there are always tons of coupons floating around that they can use too.
  • Options
    Partymixx27Partymixx27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto a GC for either Lowe's/Home Depot.  Especially if it's a single-family house, because they have a ton hardware, yard and outdoor stuff that BBB wouldn't have. We just bought a house and are there like every other day, trust me, that will come in handy!  I like the idea of a cleaning basket too, or you could attach it to a nice bottle of wine.  Another idea is to get them a GC to a grocery store near them like Wegmans or Shoprite.  It may not be the most glamorous but groceries are super expensive, and you can guarantee they're going to get use out of it.
  • Options
    goaliegirlgoaliegirl member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I voted for Lowe's/Home Depot...when we first moved into our house, like others said we were at Lowe's and Home Depot what felt like every day!  We got a lot of stuff from BBB for my shower, so I was glad when people got us lowe's for when we bought our house.  we have lived in our house for 6 months and I still am at Lowe's all the time!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards