New Jersey
Options

Boudoir Photography

I want to do a boudoir shoot as a gift for my finace.  Does anyone know any good boudoir photographers in northern NJ?  I'm looking for something soft and feminine but still sexy vs. racey and hard looking.
Anniversary

Re: Boudoir Photography

• Options
    edited December 2011
    She's in Queens, but I HIGHLY recommend Jen from Jenerations.  A lot of girls on this board have used her and we all rave about her.  www.jenerations.com
    image 182 Invited
    image 0 Are ready to party!
    image 0 Will be missing the fun
    image 0 Can't find the mailbox...

RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2011
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with pp. Jen is amazing! I was hesitating about the drive to Queens, but it was totally worth it. Love her and how my pics came out!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Laurms15Laurms15 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Angela Pilat was amazing! I loved her work and she made me feel relaxed and beautiful.
  • Options
    LuvOBLuvOB member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Jessie Marrero she is in NJ!  She just did our engagement pics she was great to shoot with!  We felt very relaxed.

She does Boudoir pics her website is tastefullybare.com.  I will definite be using her for my b-pics. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'd use Angela, the others work look too much like snapshots IMO
    1st Groom

View our FOR SALE items
    http://tinyurl.com/3jjv7vy
  • Options
    smw42smw42 member
    edited December 2011
    I used Sarah Schutle and absolutely loved her, however she is based out of Philly.

http://sassyfrassbysarah.wordpress.com/
    Anniversary Photobucket
  • Options
    felicia220felicia220 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also used Angela Pilat, she was amazing to work with.  I seriously walked in and felt like I knew her for years.  She has a mix of styles but mine where definitely soft and feminine.  My H loved them!  (I am thinking of doing them again, just because I had so much fun, trying to convince my friends to do a girls night with b-pics) 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Here's the B-Pic Spreadsheet I put together back when I was looking for someone to do mine: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AolyqPObJnRUdDFpTk1VWEdhTG1oMlhxUzUxRXFReWc&hl=en&authkey=CI6o7ocK

It really all depends on the look you're going for.  Some are more artistic, some are more snapshot-y (like User said... though that was the look I wanted), some are more risque, etc.  Just check out their websites and prices and go from there!

Good luck!
    image 182 Invited

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    andreapnycandreapnyc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    can i ask a dumb question... what do you do with b-pics? would this be like your wedding gift to your FI? just curious.. sorry!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I myself (as a guy and a leisure portrait photographer) have mixed feeling on them for a gift for your FI.  I suppose the intentions are good, but what good are pictures you can't really display that will end up in a drawer somewhere that no one else will really see?  And I don't buy that "something special" thing either.  Even if the intention was there, most of the time I see them shared on facebook, with friends, even strangers on forums,etc.  I do agree, however, to get them done for YOU (don't feel like you need the gift for FI excuse to get them done).

I also would encourage people interested to look at all options.  Many people only feel comfortable working with female photographers, but honestly, some of the usual suspects people use on here seem to have "snapshot type" work at best...and they are not cheap.

Another option to consider and what seems to be gaining popularity is "glamour pictures."  These are PG rated, and tasteful enough to hang on your wall, but with all the trimmings, hair, makeup, full glam retouch (skin smoothing,etc).  Think the cover of maxim.  I think one would get more enjoyment out of something they can share and show off in their home, and get personal satisfaction in that they look the best they ever have.  Once, I showed someone how they looked on the wall on my 10 foot projection screen, and they went out and got a 16x24" canvas printed to hang on their wall.
    1st Groom

View our FOR SALE items
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_boudoir-photography-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:9ae1b542-421e-4e84-868c-a762c21b73d5Post:87725fc2-09b9-4f39-bead-7ce4546db2e5">Re: Boudoir Photography</a>:
    [QUOTE]I myself (as a guy and a leisure portrait photographer) have mixed feeling on them for a gift for your FI.  I suppose the intentions are good, <strong>but what good are pictures you can't really display that will end up in a drawer somewhere that no one else will really see?</strong>  And I don't buy that "something special" thing either.  Even if the intention was there, most of the time I see them shared on facebook, with friends, even strangers on forums,etc.  I do agree, however, to get them done for YOU (don't feel like you need the gift for FI excuse to get them done). I also would encourage people interested to look at all options.  Many people only feel comfortable working with female photographers, but honestly, some of the usual suspects people use on here seem to have "snapshot type" work at best...and they are not cheap. <strong>Another option to consider and what seems to be gaining popularity is "glamour pictures."  These are PG rated, and tasteful enough to hang on your wall, but with all the trimmings, hair, makeup, full glam retouch (skin smoothing,etc).  Think the cover of maxim.  I think one would get more enjoyment out of something they can share and show off in their home, and get personal satisfaction in that they look the best they ever have.</strong>  Once, I showed someone how they looked on the wall on my 10 foot projection screen, and they went out and got a 16x24" canvas printed to hang on their wall.
    Posted by USER876[/QUOTE]
    Alright, 2 things...

1.  The whole point of them being in a drawer and noone seeing them is that the photos are like a sexy little secret between a couple.  I'm sure a lot of people have things in their nightstand drawers that only the couple knows about.  I'll be the first to admit that I'm glad I did them for myself, but they are a gift for my fiance and I know my fiance is going to love the pictures and the style that I chose, and he'll be completely surprised (in a good way). 

2.  Not sure what Maxim covers you look at, but the majority of the ones I've seen have pretty sexy and/or scandalous covers that I would NEVER consider mimicking myself and then hanging up in my home for everyone to see.  Just as I would never blow up a picture of myself in a bikini (regardless of how good I look) and hang it up in my living room... some things are just best kept in the bedroom or for the couple's eyes only (it's one thing to be in a bikini, it's another to be posed in a bikini on your knees with your legs spread wide open and your arms above your head messing up your hair).  And most of those Maxim cover shots are just as posed, snapshot-y, and bare (or not bare) as the boudoir photographers listed above.

Ultimately, OP, I think it's all a matter of preference.  Do what you think your fiance will like and what you'll be comfortable with.  Take all of our comments for what they're worth (just comments) and then do whatever is you prefer.
    image 182 Invited

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    so peaches are you giving them to your fi before your wedding, after? just curious, i honestly dont know and none of my friends that are married have done it...
    and i am considering doing this! i think itd be fun and by the time my wedding comes along i'll *hopefully* be in the best shape i can be so why not get some sexy pics taken! :) 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm going to give the book to him in person the night before the wedding before we each go our separate ways.  I was thinking of waiting until the wedding night, but I'd have nowhere really safe to keep the book and on the day of the wedding I'm giving him monogrammed locket cufflinks with pictures of his deceased grandparents as his groom's gift.

I would definitely do them.  It's such an awesome ego-boost for you as a woman and I know that girls on this board who have given them to their now-husbands have said they were thrilled with them.
    image 182 Invited

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_boudoir-photography-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:9ae1b542-421e-4e84-868c-a762c21b73d5Post:82bd16ae-564a-47f2-aecd-cfb623a2f923">Re: Boudoir Photography</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Boudoir Photography : Alright, 2 things... 1.  The whole point of them being in a drawer and noone seeing them is that the photos are like a sexy little secret between a couple.  I'm sure a lot of people have things in their nightstand drawers that only the couple knows about.  I'll be the first to admit that I'm glad I did them for myself, but they are a gift for my fiance and I know my fiance is going to love the pictures and the style that I chose, and he'll be completely surprised (in a good way).  2.  Not sure what Maxim covers you look at, but the majority of the ones I've seen have pretty sexy and/or scandalous covers that I would NEVER consider mimicking myself and then hanging up in my home for everyone to see.  Just as I would never blow up a picture of myself in a bikini (regardless of how good I look) and hang it up in my living room... some things are just best kept in the bedroom or for the couple's eyes only (it's one thing to be in a bikini, it's another to be posed in a bikini on your knees with your legs spread wide open and your arms above your head messing up your hair).  And most of those Maxim cover shots are just as posed, snapshot-y, and bare (or not bare) as the boudoir photographers listed above. Ultimately, OP, I think it's all a matter of preference.  Do what you think your fiance will like and what you'll be comfortable with.  Take all of our comments for what they're worth (just comments) and then do whatever is you prefer.
    Posted by peaches85[/QUOTE]

You are entitled to your own ideas and opinions.  Of course a picture you hang on your wall would be tastefully done.  When I referred to a magazine cover, I was just referring to the type of glamour processing, skin smoothing,etc.  Just curious, how many people did you share your pics with besides your FI?  I wish more guys were on here so you could get a better  idea from their perspective.  I am obviously outnumbered here, so I will leave it as is.
    1st Groom

View our FOR SALE items
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_boudoir-photography-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:9ae1b542-421e-4e84-868c-a762c21b73d5Post:d4fe86ec-80e6-4c55-89d1-d381f1d55087">Re: Boudoir Photography</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Boudoir Photography : You are entitled to your own ideas and opinions.  Of course a picture you hang on your wall would be tastefully done.  When I referred to a magazine cover, I was just referring to the type of glamour processing, skin smoothing,etc.  Just curious, how many people did you share your pics with besides your FI?  I wish more guys were on here so you could get a better  idea from their perspective.  I am obviously outnumbered here, so I will leave it as is.
    Posted by USER876[/QUOTE]
    Just as you're entitled to your own opinion.  However, I don't understand your comment about wishing more guys were on here... what perspective would they offer?  That they wouldn't want pictures of their wife or soon-to-be-wife or that they'd want them hung all over the house? 

And to answer your question that has no bearing on anything that you're trying to prove, I showed a few of the less scandalous and bare ones to three people who were curious about what boudoir photos are or who were interested in having them done and wanted to see some real pictures to help decide if it was something they'd want to do.  I was selective with the ones I showed and I would never in a million years post them on facebook or put them on display anywhere online with or without my face.  The only reason I offered to show several people was because I was in the same boat a few months ago and seeing some examples that weren't on a photographer's website (which tend to be the best of the best) helped me make my decision.
    image 182 Invited

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_boudoir-photography-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:9ae1b542-421e-4e84-868c-a762c21b73d5Post:1a36a8d3-93a3-4af0-ae9b-7897d867a948">Re: Boudoir Photography</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Boudoir Photography : Just as you're entitled to your own opinion.  However, I don't understand your comment about wishing more guys were on here... what perspective would they offer?  That they wouldn't want pictures of their wife or soon-to-be-wife or that they'd want them hung all over the house?  And to answer your question that has no bearing on anything that you're trying to prove, I showed a few of the less scandalous and bare ones to three people who were curious about what boudoir photos are or who were interested in having them done and wanted to see some real pictures to help decide if it was something they'd want to do.  I was selective with the ones I showed and I would never in a million years post them on facebook or put them on display anywhere online with or without my face.  The only reason I offered to show several people was because I was in the same boat a few months ago and seeing some examples that weren't on a photographer's website (which tend to be the best of the best) helped me make my decision.

<div>Disclaimer:  I side with User on this issue generally.  But I'm a big fan of both of you and don't like to see you fighting!</div><div>
    </div><div>But I actually would be interested in knowing what more men think too -- they see these types of things differently than women (which is why you don't see more trash the tux shoots -- I don't think they feel the need to have 9000 photos of them looking handsome dolled up).  Like I know my husband thinks they're ridiculous, but of course some other guys don't.</div><div>
    </div><div>I know that at least part of my husband's perspective is that it is silly to have photos of me in lingerie sitting in the dresser when I could be there in lingerie in the flesh pretty easily.  (And I would add to that that if the allure is that it is me but it is the fantasy of me only at flattering angles and airbrushed to high heaven, isn't that kind of bad to give him the choice to look at that instead of the real thing?)</div><div>
    </div><div>But I'd be really interested to hear how guys feel about them generally as compared to girls.  Like what percentage things they're silly plain and simple, what percentage thinks they're more for the girl than for the guy, and what percentage think they're awesome.  Particularly compared to those same percentages for girls (which I'd also be interested to hear).  Even if 80% of guys hate them, that doesn't mean your fiance isn't in the other 20%, or that it isn't great to do them anyway if they make you happy.</div><div>
    </div><div>And Peaches, you weren't here when this board was a lot more active, but I swear back in the day every other day we were seeing someone else 3/4 naked.  A lot of girls used those photos for their siggy pics and such.  So he has a point there...</div><div>
    </div><div>I don't think you're going to end up seeing eye to eye but that's okay -- there's no right or wrong answer to "do you like boudoir photos?"</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_boudoir-photography-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:9ae1b542-421e-4e84-868c-a762c21b73d5Post:43f91b50-4773-4d44-8a30-68b50eed166d">Re: Boudoir Photography</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Boudoir Photography : Disclaimer:  I side with User on this issue generally.  But I'm a big fan of both of you and don't like to see you fighting! But I actually would be interested in knowing what more men think too -- they see these types of things differently than women (which is why you don't see more trash the tux shoots -- I don't think they feel the need to have 9000 photos of them looking handsome dolled up).  Like I know my husband thinks they're ridiculous, but of course some other guys don't. I know that at least part of my husband's perspective is that it is silly to have photos of me in lingerie sitting in the dresser when I could be there in lingerie in the flesh pretty easily.  (And I would add to that that if the allure is that it is me but it is the fantasy of me only at flattering angles and airbrushed to high heaven, isn't that kind of bad to give him the choice to look at that instead of the real thing?) But I'd be really interested to hear how guys feel about them generally as compared to girls.  Like what percentage things they're silly plain and simple, what percentage thinks they're more for the girl than for the guy, and what percentage think they're awesome.  Particularly compared to those same percentages for girls (which I'd also be interested to hear).  Even if 80% of guys hate them, that doesn't mean your fiance isn't in the other 20%, or that it isn't great to do them anyway if they make you happy. And Peaches, you weren't here when this board was a lot more active, but I swear back in the day every other day we were seeing someone else 3/4 naked.  A lot of girls used those photos for their siggy pics and such.  So he has a point there... I don't think you're going to end up seeing eye to eye but that's okay -- there's no right or wrong answer to "do you like boudoir photos?"
    Posted by uppereastgirl[/QUOTE]
    Haha, alright.  I agree to disagree... I'm throwing in the towel.  :-)
    image 182 Invited

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    smw42smw42 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_boudoir-photography-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:9ae1b542-421e-4e84-868c-a762c21b73d5Post:a51ff5f7-56d4-4c13-8c8c-1cd4cab88629">Re: Boudoir Photography</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Boudoir Photography : Haha, alright.  I agree to disagree... I'm throwing in the towel.  :-)

Oh come on this was getting interesting!
    Anniversary Photobucket
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_boudoir-photography-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:9ae1b542-421e-4e84-868c-a762c21b73d5Post:a6a8833b-1591-4f7e-8a5a-e30b71ea9ac7">Re: Boudoir Photography</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Boudoir Photography : Oh come on this was getting interesting!
    Posted by smw42[/QUOTE]

<div>Good point, and we've been quiet recently without good drama... sorry!</div><div>
    </div><div>Maybe it is time for someone to start a good controversial poll or confessions thread or something to get everyone screaming at each other?</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_boudoir-photography-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:9ae1b542-421e-4e84-868c-a762c21b73d5Post:5e355f2e-d206-4699-ab7e-3e1f5fa1fd2d">Re: Boudoir Photography</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Boudoir Photography : Good point, and we've been quiet recently without good drama... sorry! Maybe it is time for someone to start a good controversial poll or confessions thread or something to get everyone screaming at each other?
    Posted by uppereastgirl[/QUOTE]
    Yeah... it has been pretty quiet around here.  Even back a few months ago when I first joined it was much more active.  What happened?

I've got nothing controversial on my mind right now... someone needs to step up!
    image 182 Invited

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I wasn't arguing or trying to prove anyone wrong, I was adding to the discussion, providing insight and perhaps another point of view (from a guys perspective).  I wasn't expecting anyone to attempt to refute my comments, but after the intitial response I wanted to clarify some of my thoughts.

I really don't care if anyone agrees or disagrees with my comments and the point of my post wasn't to sway everyone's thinking.  I don't know why Peaches feels the need to defend her position as such.

I photographed boudoir sessions, but the latest craze seems to be glamour shots.  It  makes a lot of sense too.  Sexy, but something you can share with everyone and showoff...perhaps even display in your home, like i said something similar to a magazine cover, a billboard, or a fashion advertisement,etc.  My comments still stand.....do boudoir for yourself, because it's something you want to do and pictures you want to have, don't do it just because you think your FI will want it or like it, I think that is a very big if.......
    1st Groom

View our FOR SALE items
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    seriously we need to spice this board up! hahaha JK
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards