New Jersey
Options

Help... please? :)

hi there,
I'm hoping someone can help me here, I need help wording my wedding invitations, only parent that will be at my wedding will be my mom, since my father vanished many moons ago, and my fiance's mom and dad.. and.. the biggest problem I have with the wording on this is that, I want people to know that they have to dress nice for my wedding, not formal, but nicely dressed, and that no kids are to be invited to the wedding.  And I also want them to know that we can only invite a certain number of guests so it would only be that person and ONE guest lol. 

Thank you in advanced,
Ruthie Kiss
~Bride to be ... 3 months from today hehe~

Re: Help... please? :)

• Options
    As for the invite itself- leave the parents off of it. Write the bride and groom as hosting. As for everything else it is rude to include a dress code or write adults only, etc. people know how to dress themselves. Just write the names on those invited on the envelope. You can include all other information on a wedding website.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    You can use "traditional, formal" invite wording while leaving off the name of the hosts:

If your mom is hosting the wedding, then her name would only be at the top:

The "son of" line below the groom's name is not necessary.  If FI's parents are not a part of the wedding, they do not need to be included. Even if they are a part, but not hosting, they still would not need to be included. You can include that line as a courtesy. If they were hosting, their names would go at the top with or in place of the names of the bride's parents.

I would suggest if your mom is attending and hosting to include her name at the top of the invite. Otherwise, you can use a formal wording option that does not include any parents' names.

For those who are invited to the wedding (no children), you would just only write the names of the parents on the invitation.  Instead of writing "Smith Family," it would be "Mr. and Mrs. John Smith.'  That does make it fairly clear as to who is included. Be prepared however that some people may not want to leave children behind, hire a babysitter, or have any other list of excuses and therefore might not attend.  If you are steadfast on no children, this is not an issue. If close relatives have children and you are not including them, don't be offended if they decline your invitation. Not saying it will happen, but be prepared in case it does.

If you have unmarried friends who are not dating anyone exclusively, you do not need to give them the option for "Ms. Sally Jones and guest."  But, if you are inviting Sally Jones and only Sally Jones, make sure there are other friends included as well so Sally Jones will not be totally alone for the entire evening. If you want to make sure that friends bring significant others and not random guests, invite "Mr. John Doe and Ms. Sally Jones" - which tells Sally that she can invite her boyfriend (John Doe) and her boyfriend only - not another friend or random date. If Mr. John Doe is unable to come that night, she does not have the ability to include another "guest."

Side note/personal rant: I was with FI for years and it would always irk me when invitations would list either one of us as "guest."  All the couples knew us, and knew us together and knew both of our names - did they really think that either one of us would bring a different date to a wedding after being together for 6 years?? I always thought it was so rude. Often, we had been together longer than the couple that was getting married! But, because we "weren't married," we lost our identity and just became "guest." Ugh!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• Options
    I agree that you can just leave partents out but if you want to include them you can either say something like -

Ms. Your Mom requests the pleasure of your company at the marriage of her daughter Ruthie to Bobby Smith, son of Mr and Mrs Smith 

Or Ruthie and Bobby, together with their parents request the pleasure of your company at their wedding.

As for all the other stuff, the time of day, venue and invitation style will give people an idea of how to dress - you don't need to tell them.    

As to no kids, you really can't say that, you just have to put the names of exactly who is invited on tne inside envelope.  So if it's a couple you would put Peggy and Jim, or Peggy and Guest if she's single and invited with a date.   People know not to bring more than one person.   If people respond and include their kids when you just put the adult's names then you'll have to deal with those people individually, but most people know what it means when the kid's names are not on the invitation.
  • Options
    Thank you so very much everyone!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards