New Jersey
Options

Anyone else HATE cooking!

Sorry just needed to vent a bit.  I really really really hate cooking.  Its always a project and I pretty much hate everything I make.  I usually end up pushing my food around my dish and then eat a bowl of cereal later.  My FI says he doesn't understand because he likes what I make ( and he is the type of guy that would tell me if it wasn't good and order a pizza).  I don't know maybe because it doesn't taste like my mom's cooking.  She is an amazing cook and i apparently did not get the gene from here.  I can bake you a cheese cake without a crack, or a souffle that has no sags, but I can't cook anything!  
Grrr, and I am sooooooo hungry.

Okay I'm done, thanks for listening.

Happy Dinner

Re: Anyone else HATE cooking!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    lol I used to feel the same way, but I actually really like the act of cooking now.  I however HATE thinking of WHAT to make for dinner!  I'm very structured, I'd reallly prefer be given an itinerary of what to make each night lol
  • Options
    Laurms15Laurms15 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree I love cooking but I feel like I always make the same thing!
  • Options
    Danes983Danes983 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I lobe cooking.  I def understand the feeling of it doesnt taste like my moms. I actually try to make different things that she usually didnt. Or find a way to make it my own so its not suppose to taste the same.

As far as cooking the same thing. When you come to my house EVERYTHING has garlic. Cant help it. I love it!
  • Options
    laurenross01laurenross01 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It takes a while to get your cooking to taste as good as moms. I swear I can make the same dish, do the same EXACT things and it wont' taste the same. My mother always complained her sauce didn't taste like my grandmas, until about two years ago when I don't even know what happened and it did!

I don't mind cooking... I Hate HATE cleaning up afterwards!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I used to think I hate cooking...I've decided it's not the cooking I hate...it's the cleanup!
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    DandT1206DandT1206 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_anyone-else-hate-cooking?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:a41013f5-0972-4988-ba09-c38fdab32130Post:da739644-2a24-4002-a952-537a4e7ad943">Re: Anyone else HATE cooking!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I used to think I hate cooking...I've decided it's not the cooking I hate...it's the cleanup!
    Posted by cvl105[/QUOTE]

agree! lol
    although, I hate coming home from work at 6:30 and trying to make something quick... nothing ever seems quick.  and if it is, it's usually boring, like pasta or steak.  i'd like to have time to experiment more. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Partymixx27Partymixx27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love to cook, but hate clean up too of course. The key is to clean as you go so you don't have a mound of dishes and things to do when you're all done.  It's more manageable that way.  I wish MH would do the cleaning since I do 100% of the cooking, but I don't always like the way he does stuff.  He tries to load pots and pans in the dishwasher and that sort of thing.

It's a challenge now because MH is on a low-carb diet.  A lot of the fun stuff I like to make I can't make since we won't eat.
  • Options
    felicia220felicia220 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well my dinner ended up coming out okay, even though it took me like 2 hours.  But at least I ate it.  I have to say that I am a very lucky girl because I rarely do the dishes.  We don't have a dishwasher and my FI does the clean-up after dinner.  Thats always been our thing whoever cooks doesn't have to clean (of course I am the one who always cooks).  I do try to clean as I go so he doesn't have a ton of things to clean, but he does the majority of it.  

I hope that I start to like it one day.  
  • Options
    LolyalyssaLolyalyssa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love to cook but I hate to do it after a long day at work.

I recommend getting good at cooking one type of food: Italian, Greek, French, Mexican etc...

Once you learn the basic building blocks and flavors of a particular cuisine then you can mix and match the ingredients and make up your own dishes.

For example, in Italian cuisine, if you know how to make red sauce you can make everything from penne with meat balls to eggplant rollatini.  The sauce is your base and then you just make the meatballs or the roll the eggplant.

Also, if something takes long to cook I cook it the night before and but it in the fridge and then heat it up when I need it the next day.

Two hours is too long for dinner on a Friday night.  You are brave!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Haha, thanks.  I wasn't suppose to be 2 hours.  

Even when I am cooking something that I can do with my eyes closed, I still hate it.  But I get what you are saying about the basics.  I actually steal  my mom's sauce when she makes it, but I forgot to get it the other day when I was there.  It would have come in handy tonight....haha

• Options
    jchristeljchristel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sometimes I think other people's cooking just tastes better because I didn't have to put any effort into it!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_anyone-else-hate-cooking?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:a41013f5-0972-4988-ba09-c38fdab32130Post:0392badf-5413-40ec-ba1f-e4032ae5e5a3">Re: Anyone else HATE cooking!</a>:
    [QUOTE] I actually really like the act of cooking now.  I however HATE thinking of WHAT to make for dinner! 
    Posted by adam_dana[/QUOTE]

THIS! I used to constantly ask H what he wanted, but now I just keep a list of things we liked so when I can't think of something I just look at the list and pic something. I usually pick a bunch of stuff before food shopping so I have everything on hand.

I'll always <3 baking so much more than cooking though. H gets mad because it's only me and him eating so he doesn't want me to bake ever, lol.
  • Options
    LolyalyssaLolyalyssa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_anyone-else-hate-cooking?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:a41013f5-0972-4988-ba09-c38fdab32130Post:f583564e-9aae-49ab-ae70-2aa4c714d910">Re: Anyone else HATE cooking!</a>:
    [QUOTE]\ I actually steal  my mom's sauce when she makes it, but I forgot to get it the other day when I was there.  It would have come in handy tonight....haha
    Posted by felicia220[/QUOTE]

I steal sauce from my FMIL too!  Hahaha.  I freeze it and pull it out of the freezer the night before I need to use it.  That way when I'm really tired all I have to do it boil pasta and make a salad!  I only make my own sauce on the Sunday's that I'm feeling motivated.

What did you make tonight?
  • Options
    leah2bleah2b member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I really do not enjoy cooking either. My motto is " It tastes better wehen someone else cooks it!"  And it really does.  When I was single, I would eat cereal or salad for dinner every night and I was happy as a clam.  Now, my fiance has a big appetite.  I'll admit that iIget annoyed that there is some expectation that I cook our dinner.  I work just as hard as him (60+ hrs a week) and contribute same amount financially.  Moreover, I really get no enjoyment from cooking.

I've now enforced a rule that he is responsible for our dinner 3 nights a week.  I don't care what it is - as long as I don't have to be responsible for it!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    am I the only one who doesn't cook? I mean, on *rare* occaision. But less than once a week, for sure.
  • Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I HATE COOKING!

People talk about how much they love it and I just don't get it. I find it to be such a chore.

I also am forever watching what I'm eating, dieting, etc so it makes it that much harder to be measuring and figuring out the exact calorie count.

DH is a good man though.  He NEVER complains not matter how bad the meal is. He says he's just happy to have something to eat that he didn't have to make himself.  There are times I literally can't stand to eat my own food and I sort of push the extras on my plate over to him.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    leah2bleah2b member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just jen, you lucky girl!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I made Honey Mustard and Red Onion BBQ Chicken.  Although its cold and I wasn't going out to BBQ. So I seared the chicken and then threw it in the oven for about 15 mins and then continued on with the recipe. It is actually a lot easier then it sounds.  I got it from Foodnetwork, its a rachel ray recipe, which I don't usually like, but it was really good.  I really recommend it and it is one of those recipes that if you don't have all the ingredients it really doesn't matter.  I didn't have chicken stock so I just used water, stuff like that. 

FI said that he is going to start to try cooking more, but he always wants to make fast food stuff, pizza, tacos, sloppy joes.  I want to eat healthier stuff, so I will probably continue to cook.  

It is so nice to have so many people respond to my post, it makes me feel like I am not alone.  All the women in my family were raised to be amazing cooks by my Italian grandparents, so cooking to them is no big deal.  And then I come along with my hatred for it and they are shocked! haha

Thanks girls!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    you should get a crockpot if you don't have one. Because you literally, throw the stuff in and it is done hours later :) I used to hate cooking, until I learned how to do it! I even made my FMIL's "gravy" with meatballs, ribs, and sausage, and got the seal of approval by her! But here are some things I've learned about myself:

1) Don't ask me to make lasagna if you are keen on presentation. Mine will taste yummy, but it will look worse than dog food.

2) I am afraid of the broiler. I don't know why. I'm not sure what I think will happen if I use it. But I just can't. I've had to give up making delicious sounding recipes because of this problem! My fiance probably hates that I never make steak!

3) I will never be able to cook a whole chicken or turkey. Not even the kind with their own pop-up timers!

I'm sure I can think of more to add..

Anniversary Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards