New Jersey
Options

How does registering work? (And other registry questions...)

I feel like such a dumbass for asking this, haha, but I'm clueless (guess it's okay since I've never been married before)!  Do you have to make an appointment or just go in?  Is there a time of day or day of the week that seems to best for registering?

Should we scour the store websites beforehand or just go in blind?  Any other advice? 

FI and I are thinking of registering at Bed Bath & Beyond and Crate & Barrel only.  Any other suggestions for stores?  We've already ruled out Macy's.

image 182 Invited
image 0 Are ready to party!
image 0 Will be missing the fun
image 0 Can't find the mailbox...

RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2011
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: How does registering work? (And other registry questions...)

• Options
    edited December 2011
     I had different experiences in the different stores we went to, but the best by far was at Bed Bath and Beyond. They have a section devoted to Registry and a staff there to greet walk-ins. (I guess you could make an appointment, but we didn't.) We went to the huuuuge one in White Plains, which is like a headquarters or something, and we were able to see everything in person. A week later, I was at a smaller store that had fewer items to choose from, and the majority of glassware and china, etc. was only available to see in catalogs. I highly recommend the trip, it's right over the Tappan Zee. Christine was amazing and knew everything about pretty much every product right down to the kitchen gadgets, every sales person we met smiled and congratulated us, and we left feeling good about the day. 

I went in with a few must-be-on-the-list ideas, but we pretty much gave ourselves over to Christine, who had this amazingly thorough mental checklist. If the store doesn't have a Christine, they will be more than happy to print out a list of things you may want to consider adding. 

We went midday during the week; I'm guessing that's always the best time to go, if your schedule allows it. There was only one couple there when we walked in, and one couple came in as we were leaving.

Avoiding Macy's is probably a good idea, unless you shop there regularly and have Star Rewards. They have pretty much the exact same options, but BBB has those coupons everybody gets. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would suggest going during the week.  We went to BBB as well.  We went to the big store up by Spring Valley and Marlene was very helpful. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    fabulousbfabulousb member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    if you can't make it during the week, we went to BBB on the weekend (to the store in north brunswick) and had no problem registering. :)
  • Options
    smw42smw42 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We went to BBB when they first opened on a Sunday and it was great- we had the complete attention of the sales people and the store was very empty. Try going to a location that's listed to have a China department on the BBB website. They tend to have more of the registry items in the store.

For C&B we went to a registry event there (you have to register by calling the store) and had an aboslutely fantastic time. They have tables throughout the store with food and cake and snacks and mimosas. You get a gift for registering and the store is closed to the public and only open for registering couples. We went to the one in Bridgewater (bigger than the other NJ stores) but I understand they all do it.
    Anniversary Photobucket
  • Options
    Danes983Danes983 member
    edited December 2011
    We did BB&B in Flemington NJ. Its a new store and the woman who runs the registry was awesome!  We actually went on a Sunday to start the registry (we didn't have enough time due to other commitments) and then finished one night after work.  I am so happy we registered there. They have everything and IMO bc of the coupons I think we will end up getting more items.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sherri and I had similar experiences.  I didn't go to a BBB with china though because I knew what I wanted (lil bit of research prior helps).

We also registered at Macys because occaionally they have sales that beat BBB prices + coupons.  Like buy 3 get 1 free china.   BBB NEVER have sales..you make your own sale with a 20% off coupon. Sometimes at BBB you may get a free giftcard or free pot with the purchase of $300+ in calphalon.

I went to a  Macys registry event too.  Electrics are ALWAYS more money at Macys it's soo bizzare.  I went to add a pressure cooker and it was $200 @ Macys, $100 @ Amazon.com (darnit should have registered here), and $120 @ BBB. 

The  best registry experience was at Crate & Barrel.  Maybe it's because their gun worked the best and it was supereasy to navigate the store and everything is presented so nicely.    I feel like BBB can be a disaster(which is why we went early Sunday AM) and the aisles are always too small.  Also Macy's is a bit scattered around-and I feel the regular staff aren't very helpful.

I mentioned this before on a diff board, but scan everything you think you want... dont worry about the brand until you get home.  Then hop on amazon.com and read reviews.. log onto your registries online and start switching out stuff you scanned for the brand with the best reviews. We switch about 60% of the items we initially registered for because of reviews.

Also ya know how on Facebook  you may look at friends' friends to see who you know on their lists?  Do the same thing for your registery.  Whether it's someone you know from HS and may not even be good friends with them.  Or it's a good bud - stalk their registry to see what they've registered for.  It will give you a heads up on things you may want vs wouldn't want.
  • Options
    Laurms15Laurms15 member
    edited December 2011
    We went first thing in the morning on a Saturday which was good because it was before anyone else was out and about.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We went with BBB and Macy's.  Far better experience w/ BBB.  You don't have to make an appointment, however, the Macy's location i went to was not very helpful and wanted to send us away because the person that sits at the registry desk didn't arrive until noon, on a Saturday?!  Luckily someone else got us signed in so we could start shopping.

I found looking at the websites before to be overwhelming because there are so many things.  I would suggest picking what you like in the stores and going back online and editing later on.  I personally found that easiest for me.
  • Options
    sassymcgeesassymcgee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes! DEFINITELY do one of the crate and barrel registry events.  We also registered at bed bath and beyond online and made a small Macys registry.  For some reason people were really really into the Macys registry, I guess because of sales and coupons in the mail.  Keep in mind that you can modify all of these registries online.  LIke, we picked out some stuff at Crate and Barrel that I took off that list and put onto the Macys registry, etc.  I just had a shower and got gift receipts for mostly everything, so even if you pick it out and receive it you dont have to keep it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards