New Jersey
Options

NWR - teacher venting

So we got a lot of snow Wednesday-Thursday (as if you guys didn't know).  My fiance and I are both teachers....we had an early dismissal Wednesday (sweet, counts as a day, don't have to make it up!), off yesterday (not unexpected) but then we get a call last night....no school today.  Normally, I'm all for a day off, but really?!? It's not bad out there.  I can understand a delayed opening (maybe), but off?  Our district doesn't build in snow days so we have to make up every single one at the end of the year.

Not fun!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: NWR - teacher venting

• Options
    Reilly626Reilly626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Maybe its because your school has no parking and the walks arent cleared?  Thats all I can think of.  Im glad to be back 2day. I think schools w/out snow days built in will change that next year!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't know what town you are in, but I work in Elizabeth, and my work still has not been plowed! We all had to park blocks away, on the street, in between drifts, and walk (again, in Elizabeth!) to get to our building. My pants were SOAKED! It took 45 minutes just to walk 2 blocks because the side walks weren't plowed, and streets are too busy to walk in. God only knows what we did it for, because all out clients are canceling, and our transportation company is reporting they are unable to pick up homebound clients because roads are impassable. Its such a mess out there!
    Oh... and more snow next week!
     Undecided

BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Being married is a real thriller! =)

• Options
    HobokensFuryHobokensFury member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Does your district bus students in? That may be the reason.  FI and I are both teachers as well but we're back to work today. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    goaliegirlgoaliegirl member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    It probably has to do with bussing students in.  A lot of the towns that I see are closed today are the same towns that it seems the roads were not plowed well.    It stinks, we used our last day yesterday so from here on out we have to make them up.  Not good since more snow is on the way next week from what I hear.
  • Options
    kristen8040kristen8040 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I'm in philly and we had off again today too. I know that the side streets weren't plowed and our school has no lot. I don't want to be in school till July!!!
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker imageimage
  • Options
    RamsKR01RamsKR01 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're not a big district so don't have to worry about bussing students in...the only thing I can think of is side streets not being plowed.  A few people who live in the town where we work said they actually went up to the school today and the sidewalks and parking lot were fine.  Go figure! 

On the bright side, I was able to get out with my mom and get some small odds and ends for the wedding programs and favors (partial DIY projects) and I got my bridesmaids' jewelry in the mail today (yay!)...BonitaJ.com - customized for your colors in pearls and crystals...it came out gorgeous!  I highly recommend it to anyone looking for customizing the colors for your bridal party.  They even have flower girl size stuff so I could get a matching necklace and bracelet for my 2-year-old niece.  I think she'll like it since it will look like the "big girls" jewelry too!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    lynzandgreg1lynzandgreg1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow that stinks! I know we had off yesterday and it really wasn't that bad out.
    Hopefully you won't have to be in class till the end of June.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards