New Jersey
Options

Any mothers here?

I want to put together a care package to send to a new mother-friend of mine. She's a little blue (not PPD, just stress and being tired) and I want to cheer her up. Something easy to pack in a flat-rate box to ship to another state.

Is there anything you particularly liked having as a new mom? Any kind of treat, relaxation/pampering thing, books, earplugs (lol)? Would a piece of chocolate like a Godiva bar be a nice treat, or a bad idea if she's feeling blah because of the leftover baby weight?

Or should I just send flowers or an Edible Arrangements basket?

Re: Any mothers here?

• Options
    Karla&KenKarla&Ken member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I know how your friend feels - my husband's brother sent us an edible arrangement basket and I loved it! :)

• Options
    LolyalyssaLolyalyssa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know if a new mom would want to leave the house (depending how new) but what about a gift certificate for a mani/pedi or massage...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Now I'm drooling looking at edible arrangements. I love those things.

Maybe even a "movie date night at home" send a movie with candy etc?
    *~allie~*

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I love edible arrangments, when my niece was born I gave her and my bil a gift cert for dinner, and my sis a mani/pedi cert, albiet we are all so close to her to be able to watch my niece when she was little.  If you know she has family that would like to watch the baby for a few hours it would be perfect to release the stress, what do you think about her personality towards that?
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_mothers-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:b5566b5e-0293-4f1a-a371-d0eb8295e666Post:be17d65f-6e7a-43a6-935d-57d0edf511e8">Re: Any mothers here?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you know she has family that would like to watch the baby for a few hours it would be perfect to release the stress, what do you think about her personality towards that?
    Posted by cherylanddan0706[/QUOTE]

See, that's part of the problem, actually. They moved to a totally new area of the country for her job, and they have no family or friends nearby (and she only has siblings, no parents). So she's also bummed that she doesn't have a local support system, poor thing :(

I was looking at Spafinder.com to see if there are any salons in her area where she could get a massage. But it also looks like a massage would cost more than I can afford to spend right now. Poo.

Anyway, great suggestions! Thanks!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ahh yea then its hard, but if husband watches baby, she can go for a mani pedi, there are a lot of options, I couldn't imagine having to deal with that, you are a good friend MB for even thinking to do this.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    not sure if she already got one for her shower, but these are always really cute and fun.  Not sure about shipping, though

http://shop.traesbabycakes.com/
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not a mom nor do I really know any new mothers, but I would think something like a massage gift certificate, bath salts and other bath-related items, a mani/pedi gift card, a bottle of wine etc. would be nice.  Or ask her husband what takeout places they like and get a gift card to one of those.  I would try to keep the present unrelated to the baby -- I'm sure they've gotten a ton of baby gifts and you're trying to cheer HER up.  I'd also imagine that they got tons of edible arrangements and the like when the baby was born, so I don't know if another one would do the trick.

Brad, I find it funny that your first post in a month is in a thread called "Any mothers here?" :)
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, good suggestions :)

Edible Arrangements doesn't deliver to their area, so that idea is out. Blah.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Just found these suggestions online from new and expecting moms...

1. As a "new mom" gift I'd totally go with something for the mom (rather than baby).  Things I would have loved to get as a gift right after the birth would be a very cute new outfit (a gift card to a clothing store would work); a pedicure (she might not even be able to see her feet for a few months before the birth and afterwards won't have the energy to do them herself.  My sister came and visited when my baby was one month old and gave me a glorious pedicure.  I felt so much better afterwards).  If she will be breastfeeding something that would help her to feel comfortable while feeding would be nice.  Maybe even some small, easy to hold in one hand books that could help her be entertained while stuck in a chair.  Another thing that comes to my mind - a food gift of some sort.  A pre-made meal every week delivered to her, or something along those lines.  Something like this http://www.sendameal.com/new_baby

I'm about to give birth in 2 weeks to my 2nd child... If I could have anything I would love 1) a massage!  your body goes through so much!!  2) anything meal related, anything that would not require ME cooking, meals delivered, a casserole to freeze, gift cards to a restaurant anything to not have to worry about meals.  or 3) the gift card basket, so many times we've been at the store and find something cute, or realize we needed nail clippers or something and it was so nice to discover a gift card to cover that purchase.  These are all thoughtful gifts about life after bringing home baby and helping the family have time together to regroup and rest together.  Good luck deciding on the perfect gift!

3. A postpartum survival bag (even though I know you said she's not suffering from PPD) - http://postpartum-health.suite101.com/article.cfm/pack_a_postpartum_survival_bag
    image 182 Invited
    image 0 Are ready to party!
    image 0 Will be missing the fun
    image 0 Can't find the mailbox...

RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2011
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards