New Jersey
Options

Song requests

So i read somewhere that a nice idea would be to add song requests in with our invitations and see what everyone responds with. This way we would always be sure that our dance floor is busy and it would make it kinda cute and personal for those that do get their songs played....Any thoughts?
I was just nervous it would add crazy and unnecessary stress but really thought the idea was cute.
215 invited image 171 ready to party image 40 Missing out image 4 making us wait image RSVP Date is Oct 23rd

Re: Song requests

• Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would probably say no, although it is a cute idea in theory.  You won't have the time to play everyone's songs (I think something like 60 songs are played at a typical four-hour reception) plus you wouldn't want to play some of them because you hate them, and you wouldn't want to play others because you wouldn't prefer them over your own favorites (60 songs will go by fast!).  It could cause hurt feelings/disappointment when the songs aren't played.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I would have to agree with upperseastgirl.  If anything maybe you can just poll your closest friends to see what they love to dance to.  

Honestly, it can sometimes be torturous to even get RSVP cards back!  I'm not really sure that people will actually fill in the song portion too
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PP'ers.....
    We are leaving it up to our DJ to pick out the right music.
    We have a few 'must plays' we are suggesting to him... but thats his job. We trust him.
    Plus what if someone suggests 'The Chicken Dance' or something!?! No thanks!
    BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Being married is a real thriller! =)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I totally agree with PP'ers. While it is a nice idea--it is way too complicated. Depending  on how many guests you have, you may not be able to play all the requests.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I actually really like the idea but I guess if theres only 60 songs for the 4 hr period it might disappoint people at the end of the night......
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    There is no way I would do this -- I'm way too picky about music,

We kinda did the opposite, though. Our RSVP cards were little Mad Libs, and the last part of it was "I hope the DJ doesn't play ______[terrible song]______."

Then, on the back of our menu cards, we made a little chart listing everyone's answers. We thought it was fun =)
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just Jen, were any of the songs songs that you would want to play?  What did you do if they were?

There are a lot of "wedding standards" that I dislike (not only the standard do not play list things like Electric Slide and Chicken Dance -- like I hate anything Barry White or Earth Wind & Fire).  But I know a lot of others don't feel the same way.

Cute idea though, and a lot less dangerous than letting people request songs...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Agree with uppereast. There isn't enough time for everyones favorites/requests to be played. It wounds like a lot of unneccesary work to me as well. Think about the extra time you'd have to put in organizing those requests and keeping a tally for your DJ. Nice idea in theory...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_song-requests?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:b65c5c5a-4e57-44cd-bbd5-451b323a0f2ePost:cd632a37-441c-424e-8f0f-152473611ea0">Re: Song requests</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just Jen, were any of the songs songs that you would want to play?  What did you do if they were? Posted by uppereastgirl[/QUOTE]

No -- not even close ;-)

Honestly, it wasn't intended as a hard-and-fast "do not play" list, and we didn't even give it to our DJ. But I'd say 99% of the songs were ones that would never have come up anyway.

We only decided to do the chart after all the responses were in.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think that has disaster written all over it. First, if you were to do that why have a DJ at all? You would just put those songs on your Ipod and play it. It's the DJs responsibility to feel the crowd and get them on the dance floor. If you want to personalize some songs, you can tell the DJ you are okay with requests. We allowed people to request and the ones they played from that really made the night personalized/special for us. My friends requested some songs that had great significance in our lives that I had completely forgotten to put on the must play list and it was great to have them played. 
    *~allie~*

• Options
    Gabriella26Gabriella26 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the info guys! Im letting out sighs of relief for all the extra work I would have had to done =)
    215 invited image 171 ready to party image 40 Missing out image 4 making us wait image RSVP Date is Oct 23rd
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards