New Jersey
Options

Removing artificial nails/tips

I got tips (powder fill) for my wedding and now I want to take them off.

I tried soaking them in nail polish remover, but no dice. However, I noticed that it's non-acetone. So do I need acetone?

Any other tricks to do it myself, or do I *have* to go to the salon and have them remove them for me?

Re: Removing artificial nails/tips

• Options
    jchristeljchristel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You need acetone.  Personally, I would go to the salon.  Your nails have a better chance of surviving if they take them off.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ditto jchristel. i only got them once and it ruined my nails taking them off myself. never again.
    *~allie~*

• Options
    edited December 2011
    yes, you need the acetone to "melt" them off.  If you can, go and get a nail salon to take them off.  It is much easier for them to do it and to file them off.  It will take about an hour.  If you can't, you can get acetone at walmart (either nail polish remover with it or straight acetone), and do it yourself.  Be careful though...if it spils it will discolor whatever it gets on.  Jeans....wood...tile.
    Holly & Brendan
    Wedding date 10/8/10
    EDD 5/9/13 Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    gibribuzgibribuz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    They sell some kind of artificial nail remover solution in Walmart and Sally's Beauty Supply or you could go to the nail salon
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This may not be the "right" answer (it has been years since I've had tips on my nails - the last time was for a prom in high school)  But is there any way you can just sorta let them grow out, but then file down the ridge where the new growth hits the tip layer? And then just file the length down as they grow?

I'm just thinking that chemicals/acetone (although it will work in melting them off) aren't the best and your nails will be pretty crappy after the tips are removed anyway.  This way you won't have to pull, etc. They might not look perfect, but they won't look good if you pull them off either.
    image Tuffy
    RIP Little Man October 15, 1995 - June 1, 2010
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would definitely have them removed. You can do some major damage to your nails if you try to do it and mess up!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Thanks - I think I will go back to the salon tomorrow and have them remove the nails for me.
  • Options
    allie828allie828 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have had LCN gels since Dec and just decided that I want to take them off. I went into a salon the other day and  they that said that it really is best to just let them grow out and trim them accordingly. Otherwise they can peel them off your nails but it is really painful  process and the acetone does not work on this type of gels.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary PersonalMilestone
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards