North Carolina
Options

NWR: Vacant Lot / Gardening

Part 1: So the neighborhood we live in, isn't finished. Our developer went under abour a year ago, so there are actually only 3 houses here, but about 20 vacant lots.

The bank owns the property and we haven't seen or heard anything about the land being sold.

Part 2: Last year I built a raised garden (5 x 5) behind our house. We're now wanting to move it and put a patio in that spot. I would still like to garden this year as I love fresh and homegrown veggies. I would hate to just junk the garden frame.

Sooo... DH and I, plus our neighbors discussed possibly putting the frame across the street in one of the lots. Everyone seems fine with it, plus if for some reason it does have to be moved, it's pretty easy to do so.

I'm just curious to see what you all think? Is this completely wrong, or do you think it'd be alright to do? I

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: NWR: Vacant Lot / Gardening

• Options
    edited December 2011
    that's what they call trespasing.  better get it ok'd with the owner of the land.
  • Options
    NcsuPsychNcsuPsych member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    That's what I was worried about and have been looking into. Only thing is the bank owns the land, but we dont know which bank.

I'll play it by ear :)
  • Options
    jennieweaver1jennieweaver1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wish I had a raised garden!! (and, ahem, knew how to garden) I would try and track down which bank owns the property, that's probably your best bet. Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 135 Invited
    image 105 are ready to party! image 30 have better things to do image0 need to check their mailboxes!
    RSVP Date: Sept 08
    http://jennieweaver.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    NcsuPsychNcsuPsych member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    So DH actually went to the top of our hill in the back shortly after I last posted. Apparently there's enough room up there for the garden (I haven't been up there since last summer and didn't bother to measure or think about putting it up there. We'll just have to put a barrier around it to keep the dear out :)

Problem solved! Huzzah!

Jennie, I used Pioneer Womens template. It was really easy to do :)
    http://thepioneerwoman.com/homeandgarden/2011/02/build-your-own-raised-flowervegetable-bed/

• Options
    jennieweaver1jennieweaver1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Gah!! I just bookmarked her raised garden post the other day! I literally read her blog every day, so addicted!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 135 Invited
    image 105 are ready to party! image 30 have better things to do image0 need to check their mailboxes!
    RSVP Date: Sept 08
    http://jennieweaver.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would suggest getting some six feet tall metal posts and netting for the perimeter of the garden. This is what we use and it has worked out great. A pretty cheap option for keeping out the deer. Only issue we've had is some snakes getting caught in the netting (black snakes so totally harmless).

Let me know if you have any questions.

Shelly
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards