New Jersey

Long walk down a short aisle...

Hey girls!

Went to the church (where my FMIL is a member) about having our wedding there.  To my surprise - the aisle is the shortest I have ever seen!  I did not want this GRAND enterance like Princess Kate, but the aisle is about 10ft long, if that!  I'm bummed about it and not sure what to do.  Where did/are you having the ceremony?  We can't marry at our reception cite and I thought about maybe a local farm or barn - but then I worry about rain and having to rent a tent, chairs...
Anyone get/getting married at a church you aren't a member of? 

Re: Long walk down a short aisle...

• We are getting married at St. Theresa's in Kenilworth. Beautful long aisle like I dreamed of and we are not members of the church, nor are they making us become members. We are dealing with Father Lito and he truely is awesome. Very laid back and not strict with all the requirements. Just have to do Pre-Cana.
  • If you don't mind me asking - are there fees and such that you need to pay because you're not members?
  • Oh forgot that part....no fee for non-member they just ask that you make a donation to the church and also the music fee but we haven't gotten that far yet so I'm not sure what that fee will be.
  • I got married at St. Joseph's RC in Jersey City,  the church is much prettier and bigger than most ppl expected, and the walk down the aisle wasn't that short but a decent length. 
    We registered there as members and there were a fee and the musician fee.  We also had to do pre-cana and met with the priest.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I feel badly not wanting to marry there because of the short aisle, but it's a dream of mine to walk down an aisle :o(
  • Our aisle was about 13ft long. To me, getting married in my church was more important than the length of the aisle. 
  • rlavach : I agree with you 100%.  If it were my church and it had meaning to me then I'd rid the thought and be happy with it.  But I don't belong to a church and this one my FI family has attended. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_long-walk-down-a-short-aisle?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:c93a0287-1fa8-4076-8513-e1b0f5130b89Post:2cbe6569-ff87-496a-8196-517189388783">Re: Long walk down a short aisle...</a>:
    [QUOTE]rlavach : I agree with you 100%.  If it were my church and it had meaning to me then I'd rid the thought and be happy with it.  But I don't belong to a church and this one my FI family has attended. 
    Posted by S&D23[/QUOTE]

Does it matter to him or his family though? I know that my family was not only really wanting me to get married in a church but to get married in *our* church, the one I'd grown up going to. Will it hurt your FMIL if you don't get married there?

Not sure what their rules are, but St. Joseph's in Bogota is a beautiful church with a long aisle.
  • He has not been there since he was a small kid and his mother only attends 1-2x a year.  No feelings will be hurt if we don't marry there. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_long-walk-down-a-short-aisle?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:c93a0287-1fa8-4076-8513-e1b0f5130b89Post:acc1c662-4725-4263-92f8-7431672707d8">Re: Long walk down a short aisle...</a>:
    [QUOTE]He has not been there since he was a small kid and his mother only attends 1-2x a year.  No feelings will be hurt if we don't marry there. 
    Posted by S&D23[/QUOTE]

Ok, cool. Just wanted to make sure you'd thought of it :) I know my church actually allows non-members to marry as well, but I'm not sure if the aisle is long enough. It was remodeled about 10 years ago to be the new "semi-circle-around-the-altar" look. So, it's not a short walk from the front of the church, but it's also kind of walking around a baptismal font then to the side to get to the aisle in front of the altar. If you want to check it, though, it's Annunciation in Paramus.
  • Thanks for the info :o)   The church is also a semi-circle so its wide, but the aisles are super short.  FI doesn't seem to get it hahaha!  He's like "So walk slow"  SLOW??!! If I stood still it would still be too fast! 
  • What church is this, if you don't mind me asking?

I think my aisle is on the short side, but I know that it will feel really long bc of nerves that day!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards