New Jersey
Options

tipping the venue

Hi ladies - I'm trying to figure out how much to tip the venue and am a bit confused. I admit this it probably a stupid question but i've had a rough day!

According to the knot, "15 - 20 percent of the food and drink fee (based on labor, not the cost), or $200 - $300 for the maitre d'."

what does "based on labor, not the cost" mean? How do I figure that out? Because i'm trying to figure out 15% of my food bill and it's way more than $200-$300! Help please!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
imageimage

Re: tipping the venue

• Options
    NJgurl19NJgurl19 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't tip the venue only the maitre d. Isn't gratuity tipping the venue?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    there's no gratuity added into our contract. They "suggest" 5-10%, but I'm trying to figure out if that's 5-10% of the total bill.
    imageimage
  • Options
    NJgurl19NJgurl19 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh I'm sorry where is your venue? You lucked out! I believe it will be of the entire bill minus the tax :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    goaliegirlgoaliegirl member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    at my venue it was a percentage of the total bill.   It is alot of money when you think about it but that covers all the servers, bartenders, valets, etc.   our gratuitly was included in our payments, so we only tipped the maitre d extra and we gave him several hundred dollars.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ok, thanks ladies, that's what I thought but wanted to make sure!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Danes983Danes983 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would check on what that will cover.  Most times that % goes straight to the maitre d.  So ask.  If it does maybe you want to give most to the maitre d but then some to the servers in a specific envelope.  Just a thought.
  • Options
    LolyalyssaLolyalyssa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    At season's its 4% of bill or something like that.

This varies totally by venue.  Read the fine print of your contract.  Then ask other girls who used your venue and see what they did.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards