New Jersey
Options

North Jersey Wedding Venues: Can't Decide!

Hi everyone! I just got engaged two weeks ago, so this is my first post here (though I have been reading the message boards for a while!). My fiance and I are thinking about an October 2011 wedding (Saturday night, 175-200 ppl) and have already visited seven venues. The problem is, I can't narrow down our top four. The prices are comparable (we haven't tried to negotiate with anyone yet) and they're all beautiful. Does anyone have an opinion on:
  • Nanina's in the Park
  • The Westmount Country Club
  • The Venetian
  • The Villa at Mountain Lakes
Thanks in advance for any input/advice!! Smile

-Jessica

Re: North Jersey Wedding Venues: Can't Decide!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I say the Venetian hands down.  I have been to both Westmount and the Venetian and the food at the Venetian was much better.  The villa at mountain lakes I don't really think is in the same caliber and nanina's I don't like the set up with the 2 levels. Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I say Westmount b/c thats where I got married.  We received many compliments on the food and the place itself.  We thought they treated us really well too.
  • Options
    laurenross01laurenross01 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Venetian or westmount. I'd consider these two out of the four- compare the packages  and what you'd get. I'm not sure the Venetian will be very willing to make a ton of deals though.

I went with Florentine because they will literally give me whatever I want (within reason of course) I want to decorate the entire room differently- and as long as I don't ruin their walls I'm allowed to have whatever I want set up. They are also very reasonable with their menu- I am able to change things, request things that aren't even on there. These were the two things important to me, and they gave me them so it made my decision easier.
  • Options
    kristen8040kristen8040 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it totally depends on the "look" you are going for.  I would narrow it down to Venetian and Westmount, based solely on pictures and references (haven't been to either, way out of my price range.) If you want more of the regal Italian look, I say Venetian.  If you're looking for country club with a modern flare, then Westmount.  I really feel like the venue has to "fit" the couple.  My sister who is really quiet and laid back went with the Colonial Inn.  I really wanted to bring in a bit of Ireland and Ramsey CC really went well with that idea.  Having it down to four is a good start, I only saw three, I think if you went to see every place, you'd go crazy!!! Just take your time and maybe try and see each of those places on a weekend in this month.  Good luck!!!
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker imageimage
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have heard great things about The Ventian and Westmount, see what they offer and decide from there.
  • Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have been to The Venetian for a cousin's wedding, The Westmount for my brother's wedding and I had my wedding at the Villa at Mountain Lakes.

From a price perspective, I think you can get the Villa down a lot lower than the other two venues.  I don't think the Westmount negotiates at all.  For a Saturday in February I negotiated my price down quite a bit.  I'm not really sure what an October Saturday costs.  I know after tax/tip I paid about $80 less p/p for my Saturday in February at the Villa vs his Friday in November at the Westmount.

If price is truely equal, I would personally go with the large room at the Westmount over the other options.  I just thought that room was hands down gorgeous and the food was great.  The Venetian is a good pick too though.  I just like the modern look of the Westmount more.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    DMLJDMLJ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ehh.. I don't like the Westmount much.  My dad recently played a cocktail hour there and wasn't impressed.  I also recently went to a wedding there and don't think it's worth the price.  I have never been to the rest but I hear Nanina's has great food and also seen good reviews for the Villa and the Venetian. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've been to the first two (Nanina's and Westmount) and will be in a wedding for the villa at Mountain Lakes in July.

To me, the first two are kinda the same - same look and feel. The cocktail hour food at Nanina's was very, very good though. I remember really loving the spread and quality of the cocktail hour. The dinner was fine - but the dance floor is sorta split.  I think it depends on your impressions and feelings and if any of them are wiling to negotiate.  Good luck deciding!
    image Tuffy
    RIP Little Man October 15, 1995 - June 1, 2010
  • Options
    LolyalyssaLolyalyssa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Venetian hands down is the best.  Westmount a close second.

The Villa would be a great alternative to spend less money if you realize that you can't afford the other two.

Nanina's food is so far below the quality of the other three I wouldn't even consider it if you think you can afford the Venetian.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the input! I think I'm taking The Villa off the list completely. While it is cheaper, they offer fewer options for the cocktail hour so it would end up costing about the same as the others if you added in other stations. I originally wanted to look at The Skylands Manor instead (same owners), but for our head count it would be a bit cramped.... 

Nanina’s was the first place I looked at and I fell in love with it immediately. The grounds are beautiful and it has a simple elegance that I really liked. I wasn’t bothered by the two-tiered ballroom and my FH thought it was unique—in a good way. I also like that they only do one wedding at a time. My big concern with Nanina’s is the food. My family is Italian and the food will be a big part of the wedding. I know they offer fewer options for the cocktail hour than The Venetian does, and I can’t speak to the quality of it since I’ve never tried it myself. Reading some of your comments about the food at Nanina’s also makes me worried.

A family friend had her daughter’s Bat Mitzvah at The Venetian and I’ve never been to a better cocktail hour in my life, weddings included. I know I couldn’t go wrong with the food at The Venetian. I am concerned that there are no grounds and that they have two events at a time (though they said they are in separate buildings and you would need a golf cart to get to the second one from the first). I also didn’t get to see the ballroom since they were holding another event there. I did feel a bit overwhelmed with the grandness of the entrance (though maybe that’s a good thing?), but was told that for a wedding they line the lobby with candles and dim the lighting a bit.

I didn’t expect to like The Westmount since it’s much more modern, but I loved the lounge feel of the cocktail area and the outdoor seating options. The ballroom was also amazing, with an incredible view behind the sweetheart table. They were the only venue that did a tasting on a first visit and the food and cocktails were outstanding. The Westmount also holds two events at one time (they assured us that the brides would never meet) and they make you use their in-house decorator for centerpieces, which I’m not crazy about.

We’re going back to all three this weekend to try to get the best price. In the meantime, if anyone else has advice I’d be more than happy to hear it! (And sorry that this post is so long!)
  • Options
    LolyalyssaLolyalyssa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm having my wedding at Seaon's (not enough people for the Venetian).

It's an Italian wedding on both sides.  I mean Italian speaking people and people coming from Italy etc...  

Our families said Venetian, Season's, Westmount or Macolusco's are the best for Italian food.  Venetian is by far the big winner in terms of favorites though in the family.  People love the cockail hour.

Drop Nanina's from the list.  It's not up to Northern NJ Italian family wedding standards.  It can always rain and then you went with the stinkier food for no reason.  Plus, the Venetian with the proper lighting is amazing and you never miss the grass.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Venetian all the way! i wish i was getting married in jersey cuz that has been my place for years! it's gorgeous.. and very elegant.. i've been there once after i initially found it, for a wedding.. it was unbelievable..
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations on your engagement! My fiance and I are getting married at Nanina's in November of 2011. I'm surprised by the comments on here regarding their food. I've been to Nanina's for other weddings and done their tasting. Between my experience and through conversations that I've had with other people, who have attended events there, I must say they have some of the best food I've had at a wedding and I haven't heard anything but wonderful reviews from others! Both the Venetian and Westmount have great food, but in my opinion, having one wedding at a time makes a world of difference. This was the main reason we went with Nanina's.  We've been to several weddings at the Venetian when the cocktail hour was in a basement with no windows and the small room at the Westmount is way too small for a wedding over 150 people. I also have a hard time wrapping my head around what The Venetian chargers for a venue that is on a main road in Garfield. My future brother and sister-in-law got married at Season's and they also did a great job. Again, we wanted one wedding at a time. Price wise for that time of year, you'll find Nanina's and Westmount to be simliar. The Venetain a little higher and Season's a little lower. If you haven't seen the new ballroom lights at Nanina's, make sure you do-amazing! Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    BrideBeanie, thanks for the congratulations and the vote of confidence for Nanina's! I did see the new lights and was very impressed. This week I've been driving myself crazy going back and forth between all three places--one day I'll be set on Nanina's, the next day I'll love Westmount, and the next, The Venetian. Much of my final decision will probably be based on where we can get the best deal. I could honestly see myelf being happy at any of the three.

I can't wait to just book something already!! Hopefully, we'll sign a contract by the end of the weekend, but I'll keep you all posted!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards