New Jersey
Options

Shower Question

Hi girls...I have a shower question. I know my shower is January 7th. My family told me when because of various reasons. My mother decided to have the shower at a restaurant because the invite list was hovering around 90 people and her health is not the greatest, it would have been too much stress. Anyway....my question is generally how long should you give to send out invitations for a bridal shower? The shower invites went out the second week of December. My sister has received about 25 responses so far and mostly "no". Should she have sent out the invites earlier? The end of November or the first week in December? We are just getting a little concerned because we have a to meet a 50 person minimum where the shower is being held. I tried to get them to send the invites out at least a month or more in advance but no one would listen to me and she swears the second week in December was plenty of time. I'm not upset or concerned about the no responses for me. I understand its a busy and expensive time of the year. I'm upset if they can not meet the 50 person minimum and she will have to cancel and have it at her house in such a short amount of time. Do you think responses will start coming in more steadily now that xmas is over? I think the RSVP is Jan. 3rd.
Any thoughts?

Re: Shower Question

• Options
    My shower invites went out the week before Thanksgiving for a January 15th shower. (yeah it's supposed to be a surprise LOL). Anyway I do think 3-4 weeks may have cut it a little bit close but there is nothing you can do about it now.  Just enjoy it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_shower-question-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:d505216e-7d89-4065-8556-fa920be2294aPost:7064197a-4242-4af8-b62d-8927511003bc">Re: Shower Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know that 6-8 weeks is the standard for wedding invitations, so I am guessing shower invites would be on a similar timeline. The nos probably came in quickly because those people already knew they had something planned.<strong> Of the 90 that were invited, how many are close friends and family?</strong> Those people are more likely to come than acquaintances.
    Posted by Liatris2010[/QUOTE]

I would say 65 or so are close family and friends....we both come from big families.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_shower-question-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:d505216e-7d89-4065-8556-fa920be2294aPost:cada42a7-9df7-4f43-ae39-de732fe995a4">Re: Shower Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]My shower invites went out the week before Thanksgiving for a January 15th shower. (yeah it's supposed to be a surprise LOL). Anyway I do think 3-4 weeks may have cut it a little bit close but there is nothing you can do about it now.  Just enjoy it.
    Posted by HobokenBride2012[/QUOTE]

oh i know there's nothing I can do about it. Im just worried about the minimum and having to cancel. My mom really cant handle the stress of it at her house because of her health but at the same time I dont want them losing money on the restaurant. It is what it is....I just hope it works out so that everyone is happy and my mother has the least amount of stress placed upon her.
  • Options
    I'm guessing the RSVP date would be at least 1 week before the shower, so that only gave the invitees about 3 weeks to respond. With Christmas and the holidays I am sure many people forgot about it, misplaced the invite, etc.. so yes, you cannot change it now, but more than likely your mother (not you), or other people, will need to start calling the guests who don't RSVP by the cut off date to find out if they are coming.
    Sometimes, sending out the invites too early can backfire as well, because people forget about it. But I do agree, with Christmas, etc it would've been better to send the invites out earlier than they were sent.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_shower-question-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:d505216e-7d89-4065-8556-fa920be2294aPost:c49960bb-8c63-4303-ae1e-732d91bdd066">Re: Shower Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shower Question : oh i know there's nothing I can do about it. Im just worried about the minimum and having to cancel. My mom really cant handle the stress of it at her house because of her health but at the same time I dont want them losing money on the restaurant. It is what it is....I just hope it works out so that everyone is happy and my mother has the least amount of stress placed upon her.
    Posted by teachergurl2002[/QUOTE]

I don't understand why you would have to cancel.  My mom didn't meet the minimum for my shower venue, and just paid as if the minimum number of people showed up.  I think we were 4 people under the minimum, and she negotiated with the venue to be able to take the extra lunches home.  Something to consider.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards