New Jersey

PLUS SIZE BRIDAL SHOPS IN NJ

Hello Knotties, I'm just getting ready to begin my wedding dress shopping and I'm very nervous.  I am a plus size bride (easy 26) and I'm afraid of shopping with my loved ones because I'm afraid they won't have any dresses that I will be able to squeeze into.  Are there any suggestions for bridal dress shops that carry plus sizes here in NJ?  I'm open to any suggestions and will travel if it is worth it.

Of course I'm going to look at David's Bridal, but is there anywhere else that may give me more options?

Thanks.

Re: PLUS SIZE BRIDAL SHOPS IN NJ

• Park Ave Bridal, Verona
  • I've read that RK Bridal in Manhattan has a huge selection of plus sizes. However, keep in mind it's more of a "costco" of wedding dress shops where you have to pull the dresses off the racks yourself, so don't expect the whole bridal shop experience that you would normally get from regular bridal shops.
  • Davids Bridal had a nice selection of plus size dresses
  • Hi there!

I'm a plus size bride myself and had an AWFUL experience shopping for dresses.

To save you that agony, I will tell you now not to bother to go to Park Avenue in Verona or Bridals by Roma in Clifton. Bridals by Roma only had 16s & 18s and Park Avenue went up to a 22. I'm a normal street size 24 and nothing would get over my hips!

I ended up going to David's Bridal and bought the first dress I tried on. I wanted that boutique experience which is why i went to regular bridal shops first but they just don't cater to plus size women.

I've heard that Russell's in Linden has a large selection but I highly recommend calling the place first and flat out ask them if they have any sample dresses in a size 26 if that's what you need.
  • Russell's in Linden was great and had a decent variety.  Also, not sure of your budget or location, but I went to Kleinfeld's as a plus-size bride and actually had a great experience and tried on a lot of dresses.  
  • GiaspoGiaspo member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited January 2012
    Hi! I'm not sure how far you are able to drive, but my friend had a great experience here... it's in Baltimore though.  They only have plus-sized gowns:  http://curvaceouscouture.com/
  • If you're up for a trip into NY, I had an amazing experience at Kleinfeld! They have the largest selection of bridal gowns in the world, and had a great selection of plus sized gowns - some of which were even large on me!
  • RK Bridal:
     is great - if you go on a weekend it is CRAZY.  If you go on a weekday it is delightful.  Basically, you go in, put your name ona list, and while you are waiting for your turn, you go through ALL of their dresses and pick out 5 to start (seriously, their plus-size section has over 200 dresses easy...can't say if they are over a 22 since that I where I am, but they did have to clip me into a few, so I'd bet they would work for you). After you try on your 5, they work really hard to pull more dresses for you when you've begun to narrow down more what you want.

If you don't mind shoping at places like Century 21 or H&M on a busy day and you can be patient if you must wait 2 or so hours to get called, then you'll be fine on a weekend - just leave yourself lots of time.  Otherwise, a weekday is your best bet.

Kleinfelds:
    This is where I found my dress and it was amazing.  Again, if you can go on a weekday, you get a long slot and it is much less crazy.  A weekend is shorter and a lot more brides are vying for the mirrors.  I had Erica and she was AMAZING.  I went on a Tuesday, and she just totally got me.  Every dress she brought in fit or was big, so there were none of those awful "should we put it over or step in to try to get it over your hips" moments.  Granted, the prices are higher than other places and quite a few of their dresses, such as the one I found, is exclusive to Kleinfelds, so you won't be able to price it to other stores.  However, being from NJ, they will ship it to you so you don't have to pay the NY sales tax.

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.  I went to 10 places...so I've certainly seem most of the plus-size selection in NJ :)
  • I got my dress at Park Avenue Bridals in Verona.  Also Sales Unlimited in Bayville had a lot of plus size samples to try.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The Curvy Bride is opening in Manalapan in August 2013! Designer sizes 18-32W in stock, private appointments, and carrying Allure Women, La Sposa by Pronovias and Enzoani. Check out www.thecurvybridenj.com
  • The Curvy Bride is opening in Manalapan in August 2013! Designer sizes 18-32W in stock, private appointments, and carrying Allure Women, La Sposa by Pronovias and Enzoani. Check out www.thecurvybridenj.com
    You just joined to post this to a thread that is over a year old?  Why do I have a funny feeling you have a vested interest in this store?
  • I've read that RK Bridal in Manhattan has a huge selection of plus sizes. However, keep in mind it's more of a "costco" of wedding dress shops where you have to pull the dresses off the racks yourself, so don't expect the whole bridal shop experience that you would normally get from regular bridal shops.
    This actually isn't completely true.  I got my dress at RKBridal and while I did pull a few dresses myself while I was waiting for my consultant, she actually pulled multiple dresses for me and the dress that I decided to go with was actually one that she picked.  I had a MUCH more pleasant experience there than I had at any of the smaller boutiques.  I am a size 18 in a wedding dress and I was pretty let down my first three shopping trips... I spent most of the time holding dresses up to me instead of actually putting them on.  If you have a tailor near you that you can use, you don't have to travel back to Manhattan for all of your fittings either if you don't want to.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards