New Jersey
Options

s/o Housewarming Gifts

I also have a few housewarming parties to attend. Homeowners: what were the best gifts you got? Or, have you ever seen a really unique or fun idea? I want to give something different. All ranges as we're doing this for everyone from co-worker to BIL.

Re: s/o Housewarming Gifts

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My C&P'ed answer from the other post:
    My favorite gift when we bought our house was a big wicker basket (which I now keep towels in) FILLED with cleaning supplies & kitchen staples!!! Sounds crazy, and makes me feel old, but it was the most fun gift I ever got, and infinitely useful!

We did also get a welcome mat with the initial from our (future) last name on it.... loved that a lot too! They have all kinds of cool, unique welcome mats that I think make a great personalized gift!
    BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Being married is a real thriller! =)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I always like when people bring me plants.  I like the idea of a basket filled with cleaning supplies.  New towels are always welcome too.  Home depot gift cards.  We got some really cool wind chimes.  We also got some cute frogs that dance in our garden.  My parents gave us a BBQ. 

I think it depends on the person you are giving the gift to.  I am pretty picky with my taste but will always welcome something for the garden or the BBQ. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    GC's.....most stuff we got were not our style.......so kind of a waste if you can't return
    1st Groom

View our FOR SALE items
    http://tinyurl.com/3jjv7vy
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    When I purchased my townhouse, I received some interesting items that I would not have purchased myself but were useful. I was young (22) and although dating SO, there was no registry/shower/upcoming wedding. I received items such as bakeware, corningware, kitchen hand towels, a nice piece of original artwork, coasters, a nice set of knives, flatware, wine glasses, food items (like, specialty cake mix from Williams Sonoma) all the way to a Pottery Barn coffee table and new hardware/pulls for the kitchen (from my sister - she knew what I wanted) etc.  My friends and family picked items that would have been on a registry, in my taste/what they thought I would like.  

The cleaning supplies basket is a great idea - as would be a hamper and some laundry supplies.  You really can't go wrong with a bottle of wine either!
    image Tuffy
    RIP Little Man October 15, 1995 - June 1, 2010
  • Options
    edited December 2011

We moved to our house from an apartment with no outdoor space, so our most useful gifts were things we just never thought of - like plastic wine glasses, stuff for entertaining outdoors, BBQ stuff, etc. We got it all from places like C&B so it was easy to exchange if we had to.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imageimage
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    My BFF got me a clothes hamper and a Good Housekeeping cookbook when I moved into my first apartment, and those still get a lot of use. My mom got me a lot of bathroom towels, potholders and dish towels. My sister gave me a basic potato masher which I love (electric beater makes the potatoes too gummy, and I use it for other foods like avocados). Mom also got me a lot of bath towels, dish towels and potholders, and paper towels and cleaning products in a bucket/basket. 

Some of our favorite shower gifts were good trash can (we were previous using really cheapo ones before we got a step-can as a bridal shower gift), a good vaccum (another cheapo thing we upgraded) and a Dustbuster. We've used a few candles, the Kitchenaid mixer, the knife block set, cutting boards, mixing bowls, frosty mugs, a water pitcher.

My mom bought a small patio set and a rolling cooler (filled with beer) for her friend's kid's bridal shower, and the fiance said those were his favorite gifts. She got MH and my sister's boyfriend a rolling cooler last Christmas and they both use them a lot.

For my friends who just bought the house, that I referenced in the poll ... I also bought the girl a funny little decor item off Etsy that I know she'll like, and I might look for one of those tin signs for the guy since he plans to have a "man room" in the basement. We're going to Ireland next month and I may look for a "Failte" (Welcome) sign for their house, too.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Home Depot gift cards, Homegoods gift cards, or wine/bottle of booze!
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards