New Jersey
Options

Banking Question- Mr & Mrs on a check

So we got a check from my FI's grandparents who live out of state and will not be able to make it to the wedding. They addressed it to Mr. & Mrs. L and not just to me or my FI. Do I have to wait until October to cash it? Or can we both sign it and he deposit it?

Re: Banking Question- Mr & Mrs on a check

• Options
    Let him sign it and cash it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_banking-question-mr-mrs-on-a-check?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:e5083e2e-c657-47dc-85e9-22c06070a36dPost:14cfb425-3486-4eb2-9aa3-7641f3989087">Re: Banking Question- Mr & Mrs on a check</a>:
    [QUOTE]Let him sign it and cash it.
    Posted by HobokenBride2012[/QUOTE]

This is exactly how we did it too. H signed all of the checks.
  • Options
    You can go to the bank and explain the situation. When we opened a joint account, my bank let him sign, then I sign the assumed name change and underneath AKA maiden name

John Smith
    Christine Smith
    AKA Christine Maiden Name
  • Options
    "You can go to the bank and explain the situation. When we opened a joint account, my bank let him sign, then I sign the assumed name change and underneath AKA maiden name"

THIS...
  • Options
    I think this depends on the bank. Some are more lenient than others. We had the same type of checks & he had to sign, plus I had to sign with maiden & married name (even though I hadn’t changed it yet), and we both had to be present. I’m sure not all locations are that strict. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_banking-question-mr-mrs-on-a-check?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:e5083e2e-c657-47dc-85e9-22c06070a36dPost:00ed6c96-08fa-4b95-b7b6-5a0baab99b5c">Re: Banking Question- Mr & Mrs on a check</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think this depends on the bank. Some are more lenient than others. We had the same type of checks & he had to sign, plus I had to sign with maiden & married name (even though I hadn’t changed it yet), and we both had to be present. I’m sure not all locations are that strict. 
    Posted by rlavach[/QUOTE]

<div>This is what we did as well! :)</div>
  • Options
    I had to sign twice . . . with my real name & the name on the check. 

Having been through this annoyance I now make wedding gift checks payable to Grrom's full name and wife's full maiden name.  Even if she is changing her name, odds are that paperwork won't be done by the time she's trying to cash/deposit the check.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards