New Jersey
Options

Email Qu- Post Name Change

After you were married, did you create a new email address for your married name ie. from Lola.Minnie@gmail.com to Lola.Mouse@gmail.com or did you keep your email address and find a way to change the name?

I'm a little clueless. Any help would be appreciated.  I mainly use gmail.

Re: Email Qu- Post Name Change

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My initials are in my Email address, and I am going to change it.... not necessarily for the sake of it not matching up to my new last name though. I just have had this email addy for 10 years + and it is over run with SPAM from anywhere I ever shopped online and god knows what else... I have been wanting to change it for awhile, and now the name change will just give me that push to do it.
    BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Being married is a real thriller! =)

• Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't change my name, but I'm a gmail user.  If you decide to stick with your old email address (a lot of my friends who did change their names have done that), it is easy to change the name that is displayed to your new name.  On the upper right corner you'll see "Settings."  Go there, then click on Accounts and Import, then change your "Send email as" name by clicking "edit info". 
  • Options
    Laurms15Laurms15 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I registered my new name/email but for now I'm not switching it. Too many people have the old one and I have so many emails archived/saved that its just easier to leave it.
  • Options
    JulepheniaJulephenia member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My email has nothing to do with my name, so I feel like I'm dodging a bullet, here.

I think gmail can let you sync up/forward emails for a while, if you wanted to change.
  • Options
    Lola MinnieLola Minnie member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_email-qu-post-name-change?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:eae8bfe7-dc87-4ec7-b058-55cc1753c38dPost:e0c2ca14-6218-4c53-afc8-c469b3801a71">Re: Email Qu- Post Name Change</a>:
    [QUOTE]I didn't change my name, but I'm a gmail user.  If you decide to stick with your old email address (a lot of my friends who did change their names have done that), it is easy to change the name that is displayed to your new name.  On the upper right corner you'll see "Settings."  Go there, then click on Accounts and Import, then change your "Send email as" name by clicking "edit info". 
    Posted by uppereastgirl[/QUOTE]

Thanks! So that basically will only change my display name? But people still email me to the previous address? Perhaps I will slowly create the new email and forward from the old address?
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_email-qu-post-name-change?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:eae8bfe7-dc87-4ec7-b058-55cc1753c38dPost:a4b4a5fe-cec0-45d9-9654-40073226ee46">Re: Email Qu- Post Name Change</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Email Qu- Post Name Change : Thanks! So that basically will only change my display name? But people still email me to the previous address? Perhaps I will slowly create the new email and forward from the old address?
    Posted by Lola Minnie[/QUOTE]

<div>Yes, that will change your display name so people can see the new name, but it doesn't do anything about the address.  But you can also set up forwarding of your emails to another address.  Slowly creating a new address is probably a good idea if you're going to change it.  So many email programs have addresses drop down when you start typing a name, so even those with good intentions may take a while to stop mistakenly using the old address.  Monitoring the old account for stray emails is a good idea.</div>
  • Options
    Lola MinnieLola Minnie member
    edited December 2011
    OK, that sounds like a good idea to slowly change emails.  It's not even family and friends I am worried about but professionally since I have been looking for a new job and my maiden name is on my resume. Maybe I'll keep my maiden name professionally until I find another job.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My email is my entire last name so I've created a new account that I will transition into after we're married....this way all the annoying vendors won't know my new email address and I will get less spam mail. I plan on telling everyone I email with and hoping that it will catch on. I will check both until I'm confident I can just use my new address.
    Logan Alexander born May 9th 2011. He has stolen my heart forever. Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP #2 05/24/12 EDD 01/31/13 D&C 06/26/12 Missing you. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Diagnosed with Ashermans 11/06/12 Surgery 01/18/13, Cleared for TTC 03/01/13 image
    My Ovulation Chart
    || Ovulation Tracker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I reserved a gmail account with MY NAME + FI'S LAST NAME as soon as we got engaged. However, my current email address is only my first name so I'm not sure if I'm going to change it or not. I may start using it slowly.
    Shana & Josh

28/100
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love my last name and most people actually call me by it so I am not super concerned with changing mine when the time comes. I will for work probably, just so everything matches up.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards