New Jersey
Options

Poll- Changing last name

Just curious... and bored.
*~allie~*

Re: Poll- Changing last name

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm moving my last name to my middle name and planning on using that as my middle initial. I really wanted to hypenate but it was just too long. Can't say I'm overly excited about it, it's weird, but I want us to both have the same last name.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I put Special Snowflake. I plan to change mine legally and socially, but still go by my maiden name at work. (At least for now, we'll see what happens if I leave this company.) It seems like it'll be a pain to change my work e-mail and usernames for our shared drive stuff, plus my first name is already a mouthful without FI's long last name tacked onto it.

I also don't plan to change my name legally until later this year. We're planning on going to Europe in the summertime, and I don't want to have to rush and change my passport. I'd rather just go under my maiden name and then wait until we get back to change it over.

I'm glad to take his because I've always pictured doing it that way, because it means a lot to him, and because I am glad that our family will have one name ... but I also like the way my current name flows. Plus I've been that name forever ... I'm still not used to saying MaryBeth HisName. And it feels weird because he has a very Italian last name and I am not at all Italian.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Have you seen my last name??? I cannot wait for it to be nice and short and easy to pronounce, I really dislike having to spell all 11 letters of it LOL
    Logan Alexander born May 9th 2011. He has stolen my heart forever. Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP #2 05/24/12 EDD 01/31/13 D&C 06/26/12 Missing you. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Diagnosed with Ashermans 11/06/12 Surgery 01/18/13, Cleared for TTC 03/01/13 image
    My Ovulation Chart
    || Ovulation Tracker
  • Options
    JulepheniaJulephenia member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'll be keeping my name professionally (enough credits for it to do damage if I take his), but I'll be hyphenating personally.

This will be fun, because my first, middle, and last name are all three syllables, and his last name is four. Yay, long names!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto Kathy - Can't wait to get rid of mine!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_poll-changing-last-name?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:ec41e5b3-7bfa-4939-940e-d34d5151fee3Post:a01cad67-3890-4678-9c74-263ce24a15b2">Re: Poll- Changing last name</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm moving my last name to my middle name and planning on using that as my middle initial.Posted by AnnPH424[/QUOTE]
    This exactly. FI isn't too crazy about it, but it isn't his choice. He is very traditional about the last name thing, but I wanted to keep my maiden name and hyphenating wasn't an option.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Special snowflake - I think I'm going to take his last name, but continue to use my maiden name professionally (I have a few publications with my last name, as well as my medical school diploma and licensing exams.).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_poll-changing-last-name?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:ec41e5b3-7bfa-4939-940e-d34d5151fee3Post:bf2f5470-6091-4f62-9cf7-707489816405">Re: Poll- Changing last name</a>:
    [QUOTE]Have you seen my last name??? I cannot wait for it to be nice and short and easy to pronounce, I really dislike having to spell all 11 letters of it LOL
    Posted by kathygrzywnowicz[/QUOTE]

hahaha that made me laugh.

I think for me it's going to depend on the situation. Will change it legally, but may hyphenate it personally. Eventually I will probably just take on his last name. Like mb- I'm waiting until after we go on our honeymoon in June to change anything.
    *~allie~*

• Options
    DandT1206DandT1206 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

my new last name just sounds better and is easier for people to spell

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    MyeMye
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    kept mine, and its going to stay that way! Its worked well for the past 26 yrs its going to be fine for the rest
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My last name's *Dick*.... I've been waiting all my life to see it go!  Can't wait to take his name. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    204 Invited image
    7 Ready to Celebrate! image
    1 Going to Miss The Fun image
    196 Making Us Wait image *RSVP Date April 25*
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I want to keep my maiden name but FI is very traditional.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_poll-changing-last-name?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:ec41e5b3-7bfa-4939-940e-d34d5151fee3Post:1373360d-363a-48ac-a8ba-6df75aa25ad2">Re: Poll- Changing last name</a>:
    [QUOTE]My last name's *Dick*.... I've been waiting all my life to see it go!  Can't wait to take his name. 
    Posted by Shand18[/QUOTE]

One of my best friends last name is the same...he married another one of my best friend's and she actually changed her last name to *Dick*.  I can't say I'd do it, so I was impressed that she was willing to!  I think it shows a lot for her love for him! lol
    ~Chelsea~
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Laurms15Laurms15 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm taking his last name. I would hyphenate in an ideal world however my last name is a descriptive word (think little, big, short, tiny) and hyphenating that sounds weird. Professionally I may still use my maiden name though.
  • Options
    Lola MinnieLola Minnie member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love my last name but I am a traditional gal and plan to take his name. Luckily it's a nice last name lol
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    FYI - for anyone waiting to change their name because of the passport, all you need to do is bring a copy of your marriage license, my sister does it all the time for work since she changed her name but her passport still has her maiden name

Also i am traditional  and taking his last name
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    keeping mine, FIs last name gets him pulled into "the little room" every time we travel. he'll need to to get him out! plus i've published under my name so its easier.
    Photobucket

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I see no reason to change my name simply because I happen to be female.
  • Options
    jtheissjtheiss member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm keeping my name because in my profession I've been published under my maiden name and will continue to publish for the rest of my career, so I want my entire body of work to be under one name. I also have had my name for 32 years and have a hard time becoming somebody else at this point. Socially, I won't mind if people call us The Fi's Last Name family or if I end up being Mrs. FI's Last Name, but I don't feel the need to change it officially.
  • Options
    viviannacviviannac member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am going to hyphenate.  I don't LOVE my last name but I do not think I should have to give it up.  Also, for professional reasons (my degrees will read with my maiden name) and that is the name that I have networked with for a long time. 

Luckily, both last names are short, so hyphenating is an option. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I changed my name.  I can't say I was excited or thrilled by the idea, but at the end of the day we're a family and I like that we and our future children will have the same last name.

I also thought it would be this monstrous PITA and it really wasn't at all.  I dealt with the paperwork and all that nonsense fairly quickly.  The last thing for me to change was my work e-mail, and even the issues with that subsided after a month or two.  It might be a little work now, but I think it beats out a life time of questions and explaining.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I put special snowflake' since I always intended to take his last name...

It's been almost a year & I haven't done it on paper, nor have I introduced myself as "Jamie MH'sLastName" except on one occasion, in front of MIL.

I have thought & thought about why I'm having an issue; to tell the truth, I don't know why.

My dad is deceased & out of 9 first cousins ages 34-62, no one has passed on/been able to pass on my dad's/family's name. I'm still not certain it has something silly to do with thte name "dying out" but that's the best I can offer! 
    A Yankee Fan & A Red Sox Fan...
    imageimage
    "5.01.09"

• Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I kept mine.  I don't like his, honestly, and I spent 27 years with one name so it seemed strange to change.  If I could identify better with my in-laws maybe it would be different, but I'd feel really odd having their name rather than my parents'.

I know that's weird.
  • Options
    lovbulldgslovbulldgs member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I really love my last name but I am going to take my FI's last name after we get married.  I am currently a W and I know this sounds silly but I am really looking forward to moving up the alphabetical ladder to K.

• Options
    leah2bleah2b member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Keeping mine.  Jaimie, I have similar sentiments regarding the name dying out.  My father is recently deceased and I also like having the linkage to my relatives.  Other than that, I have never really had any desire to change my name.  My FI has no strong opinion on it.  For me, the name change doesn't really hold any significance..
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_poll-changing-last-name?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:ec41e5b3-7bfa-4939-940e-d34d5151fee3Post:c93edbeb-2687-4417-80b3-817afe42a73c">Re: Poll- Changing last name</a>:
    [QUOTE]I see no reason to change my name simply because I happen to be female.
    Posted by melissa82[/QUOTE]

<div>Speaking of that, I was at my in-law's on Easter.  My husband, his two uncles and his dad were in the living room with me, while his mom went to the kitchen.  They had cheese and crackers out and at one point his mom decided she wanted it cleaned up.  She came out to the living room, interrupted everyone's conversation, and asked me (I was across the room from her and from the food) to clean up the cheese and crackers.  </div><div>
    </div><div>I was so offended that she thought I should be the one to clean it up simply because I was the only female besides her there.</div><div>
    </div>
  • Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_poll-changing-last-name?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:ec41e5b3-7bfa-4939-940e-d34d5151fee3Post:a82dc9dc-fc13-417a-b6a3-4fdd27aa216c">Re: Poll- Changing last name</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Poll- Changing last name : Speaking of that, I was at my in-law's on Easter.  My husband, his two uncles and his dad were in the living room with me, while his mom went to the kitchen.  They had cheese and crackers out and at one point his mom decided she wanted it cleaned up.  She came out to the living room, interrupted everyone's conversation, and asked me (I was across the room from her and from the food) to clean up the cheese and crackers.   I was so offended that she thought I should be the one to clean it up simply because I was the only female besides her there.
    Posted by uppereastgirl[/QUOTE]

HA- Welcome to my world! My mom does this to me at EVERY family event.  There are times I am on the other side of the house and she calls me in. My one nasty aunt does the same thing.

It's like I revert back to being a child. The more they ask for help the more I stomp around like a kid.  It's funny though because when I'm outside of my family I'm always helpful and playing hostess.  It's something about being singled out and asked that makes me not want to help at all.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm fine with my mom doing it to me (although I do sometimes pout and such when she asks me to do like 5 things in a row when my older sister is sitting there doing nothing -- I get asked to do things disproportionately).  I think my mother-in-law should have at the very least asked her son (who was sitting next to the cheese) or her husband.

I'm perfectly happy to help when I'm a guest, and helped with clearing the table and doing dishes after dinner -- I just hated being singled out like a freaking servant or something.  (And I thought it was rude that we were all in conversation and she came in and interrupted to ask me to do it -- but she's socially awkward in ways that can sometimes be rude.)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards