Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

room block help - mgm

Hi, everyone -

I just called MGM to set up a room block and it seems incredibly confusing.  I am not getting married there, so I cannot set it up through the Chapel.  I want people to be able to book when they want, when they can afford it.  The woman in reservations said she'd need every person's name and their credit card number so she could book for them (that doesn't seem like a block to me!?). 

Has anyone done a room block with MGM or another hotel where you were not getting married?  If so, how did you do it?

At this point, I'm guessing I'll have to email/call each of our guests and tell them when the sales are happening and insist they book ASAP...

Re: room block help - mgm

• Options
    lsvenssonlsvensson member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh weird!  I booked through MB and even though I'm getting married there, I didn't go through the chapel to book our room block; I went through Group Sales.  I told them the dates we needed rooms and they told me that our group rate would be for each night, then they asked me how many of each kind of room (MB Dexlue Room vs. THEhotel THEsuites) I needed; after that, they reserved 30 MB rooms and 15 THEhotel rooms in my name and gave my guests a special number to call and a group code to mention.  They can book any time between now and 30 days before the wedding, and they don't need to put any money down.  I think they can cancel penalty-free up to 2 weeks out.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I was able to easily create a room block with Total Experiences- they manage all the Harrah's/Caesar's properties.

Is there a guest services type of group that handles all MGM/Mirage properties? I would try there.

Whatever they are doing for you, is not a room block!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I second group sales, it sounds like the original person you were talking to thought you were trying to book all those rooms at once.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sounds like that first person just wanted comission for setting up a bunch of reservations; group sales is who you want to go through to set up a block.  Just remind your guests that it will probably be a lot cheaper to book early using coupon codes or just early in general rather than the block rates, which are typically not very attractive and only really good for people who wait to the last minute to book.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• Options
    wallacjewallacje member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011

I went through group sales for our room blocks at Monte Carlo and the Orleans and we got married at Caesars.  They weren't really used either, only H's family used them but they are totally last minute.  A few came to Vegas with no room reservations.

They typically expire a month before the wedding so your really last minute people may not be able to use them either.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, everyone!  I didn't go through Group Sales, since MGM designates that as "26 or more rooms" - I might try them anyway.

Yeah, they quoted me $920 for four nights, which is absolutely outrageous for MGM.  I know it's a little early, however...
  • Options
    mizutamababymizutamababy member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When we tried to set up a room block at the Golden Nugget, they wouldn't do it because they had a minimum number of rooms you had to block and we had nowhere near that many people coming.  Maybe MGM is the same..?

Either way we got a good special on rooms sometime and everyone ended up saving $100 for their stay so it was definitely for the better.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards