Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

I ruined my cake surprise for FI:(

I'm so mad at myself.  I had this big plan to do a surprise cake for FI, with all his favorite things, see bio if you want to know exactly what I'm talking about.

Well I decided to do a cake tasting at a local baker here, just so I can get an idea of what flavors I'll want to go with in Vegas, and the lady happened to do a sketch for me of the cake I was talking about doing.

Well guess where I left the sketch, right on the counter:(  The top tier was going to be our dog popping out of the cake so to speak, as they are bff's. He said that's the only thing he saw though, cause she had written the word "surprise" on top of the page so he said when he saw that he didn't look anymore.

Obviously our dog was one of the main parts of the cake, so now I feel like it's totally ruined and I don't even want to do it anymore:(  This was supossed to be the one thing of all the wedding stuff that was just for him.

I'm sure I sound like a whiny baby, but I'm just upset and wanted to vent so thanks for listening.  Also, do you think it's totally ruined or should I still do it?

Re: I ruined my cake surprise for FI:(

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I say still DO IT!! It stinks that he saw the top part, but that is all and IMHO....Guy's forget things pretty quickly,So IMO by the time the wedding comes he will be surprised!
    2011-2012 Races
    10/29/11 LA RockNRoll Min Half (5K) 42:58
    12/4/11 Vegas RockNRoll Half 3:14:53
    1/7/12 WDW Half 3:13:42
    1/15/12 RnR AZ 2:55:27 (PR!!)
    1/29/12 Tinkerbell 1/2 3:22:37 (To many picture stops!lol)
    Me:32 DH:33
    IFV w/ DE Only Option (On Hold For Now)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I feel your pain girl!!! When we were doing our cake tasting the lady came in and said "here we are" and put it right on the table. She luckily caught herself in time and grabbed it back. I noticed right away and had the deer in the headlights look so I think he knew something was up. I think you should still do it because when he sees it he ill still feel special!! He wont really know how it will look until you get there, he will still be surprised And your guests will be impressed!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was just going to say that my FI has already forgotten it, trust me!! Maybe your guy is different but all he cares about in this wedding is food :)
  • Options
    Sara191431Sara191431 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

yeah idk, I'm just so pissed at myself right now.  I mean I think the actual cake will look different cause the Vegas baker I think we are going to go with is going to come back with a better/somewhat different design (which she's sending me the sketch any time now).

But the main part of our dog on top of the cake is going to be the same (I wonder if he saw that he'll be wearing a MN Twins jersey), which obviously is hard for him to forget and what makes it suck so much is he'll appreciate the other details, but I know our dog would have been the best surprise to him:(

Grr, I would seriously be less upset if he would have saw my dress instead cause that he probably wouldn't remember!

I hear you Shan!  I know I should just get over it and go with it still.  I know, I know

• Options
    smokeybaileysmokeybailey member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_ruined-cake-surprise-fi?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:01200d80-2c28-42ee-a1bb-a3084efee32cPost:672947ee-9f17-4ffb-b0de-8eba462039a9">I ruined my cake surprise for FI:(</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm so mad at myself.  I had this big plan to do a surprise cake for FI, with all his favorite things, see bio if you want to know exactly what I'm talking about. Well I decided to do a cake tasting at a local baker here, just so I can get an idea of what flavors I'll want to go with in Vegas, and the lady happened to do a sketch for me of the cake I was talking about doing. Well guess where I left the sketch, right on the counter:( <strong> The top tier was going to be our dog popping out of the cake</strong> so to speak, as they are bff's. He said that's the only thing he saw though, cause she had written the word "surprise" on top of the page so he said when he saw that he didn't look anymore. Obviously our dog was one of the main parts of the cake, so now I feel like it's totally ruined and I don't even want to do it anymore:(  This was supossed to be the one thing of all the wedding stuff that was just for him. I'm sure I sound like a whiny baby, but I'm just upset and wanted to vent so thanks for listening.  Also, do you think it's totally ruined or should I still do it?
    Posted by Sara191431[/QUOTE]

I read this as our dog pooping on the cake.  And I was all, HUH?!  Upon re-read I see it is not, and you should do it anyway.

My FI wants an armadillo red velvet cake with gray icing (a la Steel Magnolias).  He knows that it's what he wants so he won't be "surprised" to get it, but he will still love it.
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• Options
    edited December 2011

You should still do it. It may no longer be a "surprise I got you a cake!" but seeing a sketch and seeing it full out IRL will be totally different. You said he only saw the top, so he'll still be surprised by all the details you put into it. It will still be just for him and it's not gonna mean any less to him b/c he knew he was getting a cake.
    Your wedding isn't until next year, right? Plenty of time for him to forget all about it.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I know how you feel. I recently threw a surprise birthday party for my fiance and the surprise was ruined a couple days before. I really didn't even feel like throwing the party anymore, but in the end, the party was about him, not me. He enjoyed the party even though it wasn't a surprise. So I defintiely think you should still do the cake because he'll love it either way and appreciate the thought you put into it. :)
  • Options
    direy25direy25 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_ruined-cake-surprise-fi?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:01200d80-2c28-42ee-a1bb-a3084efee32cPost:2e44b084-d2c3-47e2-9e1a-262e46fbb6f2">Re: I ruined my cake surprise for FI:(</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to I ruined my cake surprise for FI:( :<strong> I read this as our dog pooping on the cake.  And I was all, HUH?!  Upon re-read I see it is not, and you should do it anyway.</strong> My FI wants an armadillo red velvet cake with gray icing (a la Steel Magnolias).  He knows that it's what he wants so he won't be "surprised" to get it, but he will still love it.
    Posted by smokeybailey[/QUOTE]
    I read it the same way at first.  :)

Definitely still do it!!  He's still gonna love it no matter what. 
    Married 5.6.11

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I say still go for it!  I agree that most guys would forget by the time he sees it and I think he would still appreciate that you had it made for him.  Majority of weddings are all about the bride and that one thing that`s all about him is pretty cool.  And if the dog is his bff, then it has that much more meaning.  I wish my dog could be at our wedding because she`s my little baby.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think he might think you will change it since he saw it and then BE surprised when he sees it!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Do it!!!  You'll regret not doing this for him if you don't. 

I love the idea of incorporating the dog!  brillant!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Sara191431Sara191431 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Thanks for all the support everyone, it made me feel better some and in the end I think everyone will be right.  I'm just going to not bring the cake up anymore, and maybe elude to doing something else instead, but still do it.  Either way, I know he'll love it when he sees it along with the other details of the cake.

This has been quite the day, not in a good way for some reason, so the best thing I can do is go to bed!

Night ladies and thanks again!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    What's teh deal with a separate cake? Do people really eat all of that cake?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    smokeybaileysmokeybailey member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's a groom's cake.

A groom’s cake has its roots in the South, and although it used to be viewed as an added and unnecessary expense, this once-neglected cake has been making a huge comeback. Intended to be a gift from the bride to the groom, the groom's cake is usually dark (often chocolate or liquor-soaked) and designed with a nod toward what's traditionally considered "masculine" (i.e., no rosettes in sight).

The groom's cake can serve many purposes, from dessert at the rehearsal dinner to an alternative choice to the bride's cake at the wedding. It's customary for the groom's cake to be displayed next to the bride's cake and later cut and put into boxes for guests to take home. And believe it or not, legend has it that single women are supposed to sleep with a slice under their pillow the same night they receive it -- and if they do, they'll dream of their future husband. Boxed slices of groom's cake can also serve as your wedding favors. If you go this route, take advantage of the opportunity to get creative with the packaging -- an additional way to reflect your bridal style.

A current creative trend in groom's cakes is to have the cake reflect the groom's interests and hobbies. Whatever you decide, gifting your new husband with his own cake is something you should do because you want to -- not because you feel obligated.

Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards