Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

Has anyone or does anyone have

Family drama? Either with a FSIL FBIL or FF in general? Anyone not get along and hate eachother but act nice just because?

Just curious...I did and things seem to be ok now but still a bit akward sometimes.
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Has anyone or does anyone have

• Options
    smokeybaileysmokeybailey member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Nope.  I get along with all of my in-laws.  My FBIL can push buttons but I just lay into him like he was my own bro.  I never act nice just because when he's being a jackass.
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• Options
    direy25direy25 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry, can't help you.  FSIL is one of my BM's - not just because she's FI's sister, but because she and I have become really close.  I feel extremely lucky that everyone gets along so well.

Now my poor mom on the other hand - she had the MIL from hell.  I hate to speak badly about my grandmother like that but she was absolutely horrid to my mom.  She used to badmouth my mom to me when I was little.  Yeah, awesome.
    Married 5.6.11

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options
    MisEstaMisEsta member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Nope, so far so good!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Unfortunately the source of my drama is my younger sister who is also my MOH.  In addition to being overcritical, she seems to want some of my wedding events to be done the way she likes, not what I like.  She also cannot stand my bridesmaid (they are former friends), and she was to blame for their fallout, too.  I'm just hoping everything goes smoothly.

IL's are fine, for the most part.
    76 invited image 35 ready to partyimage 41 staying homeimageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Kind of wrong to say, but i am "lucky" my FI has NO family comming to the wedding. Nor are his family members even in his life. He cut ties many years ago will all his siblings for understandable reasons. His Parents passed away 10 yrs ago.

The only Drama is with FDIL... Not bad its just touchy? FI is dragging his feet to tell his Daughter of our wedding! I am working on him every day to tell her... I cannot stand nor get their estranged relationship! 

Ok off my soap box...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    hstaples4hstaples4 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry no help from me either. All of our families live out of state.
     I've never met FMIL in person but have talked to her on the phone a few times and e-mail each other. She's very nice and isn't pushy at all about the wedding. FSIL is 28 but mentally is like an 11 year old, she had encephalitis as kid that resulted in brain damage so no drama with her either. And FFIL currently lives with us my only issue with him is he smokes in the house but he's moving out next month to go back to Minnesota where FMIL is. Kinda funny FFIL is actually getting back together with FMIL, they've married and divorced each other twice so far...hopefully third time is a charm for them :)
    And so far FI doesn't seem to have any issues with my family.
    I guess a perk of living thousands of miles from all of your family.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic PersonalMilestone BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    aegrishaegrish member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Yes and Yes!  My FMIL and my FSIL don't get along.  It's awkward.  They are nice to each other, but not overly close or friendly.  FSIL has issues (who doesn't though), but she tends to exclude herself from the family and family related events. which doesn't help things.  Enter my mom who is a hugger, asks tons of questions, and makes EVERYONE a member of a family.  It will be an interesting wedding weekend to say the least.

• Options
    edited December 2011

Not really! FSIL is sometimes a bit irritating, but to FI and I both. We hang out a lot though, and everything is pretty cool.

FI's family often says if anything goes wrong, they're taking my side! We're all pretty close, which is really nice :)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    No, they're in another continent, where they belong. Cool
  • Options
    kara811kara811 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_anyone-anyone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:0a968485-be04-49d3-9168-09d59e115b2bPost:de3c6afa-7099-4fb0-bb02-21275242213b">Re: Has anyone or does anyone have</a>:
    [QUOTE]No, they're in another continent, where they belong. 
    Posted by wiwicaty[/QUOTE]

Lol. Love that!

I love my ILs and they seem to be good to me as well! We get along great!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    FMIL an FSIL are very pleasant, but I really have no relationship with them.  I am not the most touchy feely type of person and they are all about hugs and talking everyday.  I've done a fair job at keeping them at arm's length but FMIL is all about call me mom and daughter will finally have a sister.  I will not be calling her mom and FSIL and I will never be close.  FI is the only thing we have in common.  My parents are deceased and my brother is so laid back you can't help but like him.  FI asked him to be his best man.  Overall no drama.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Not any current issues...but FMIL is a handful. We've had SERIOUS problems in the past...I even called off the wedding for a period of time because of her last spring. I believe she is bipolar, honestly, but she will never admit to it...or consider the fact she is.

But at our wedding we have
    my dad & my aunt and uncle (moms sister and husband) who do not get along FMIL & aunt and uncle (same as above) who do not get along
    FMIL & her MIL who do not get along
    FI grandma & stepgrandma who do not get along

all coming!! Its going to be a freaking circus. I have a bottle of xanax that Im considering putting in everyones toasting champagne at the reception : )
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_anyone-anyone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:0a968485-be04-49d3-9168-09d59e115b2bPost:421df634-25ed-47ae-adca-796bb3913a4c">Re: Has anyone or does anyone have</a>:
    [QUOTE]Not any current issues...but FMIL is a handful. We've had SERIOUS problems in the past...I even called off the wedding for a period of time because of her last spring. I believe she is bipolar, honestly, but she will never admit to it...or consider the fact she is. But at our wedding we have my dad & my aunt and uncle (moms sister and husband) who do not get along FMIL & aunt and uncle (same as above) who do not get along FMIL & her MIL who do not get along FI grandma & stepgrandma who do not get along all coming!! Its going to be a freaking circus. I have a bottle of xanax that Im considering putting in everyones toasting champagne at the reception : )
    Posted by junebug61103[/QUOTE]

Wow, that is a lot to deal with!  The Xanax might not be a bad idea....
    76 invited image 35 ready to partyimage 41 staying homeimageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are going to be family so I'm hoping throughout the years things will get better and less akward. Only time will tell.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    lsvenssonlsvensson member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not drama yet, though I don't expect any.  MY parents are the ones that are a pain in the a$$--very opinionated about the wedding.  Future in-laws aren't really big "talkers" (at least, not in the way my family is), so I got hella lucky.  Plus, FMIL still sends us Easter baskets (!) and I love, love, love her for it.  My thighs, however, do not, but that's a story for a different day...
  • Options
    ahr1982ahr1982 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Nope. I would never marry someone if they had issues with my family and/or I had issues with theirs. We love our parents and siblings very much =o)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh, I was having a dreadful time with my MIL before Mr. Imp and I got married.  In her mind, I was as good as Satan's daughter for several reasons --

*  Soon after I moved in with Mr. Imp, he stopped going to church with her.  He couldn't stand going, but when he stopped, it was my fault because I'm a godless heathen (read: Buddhist).

*  I'm not "wife" material because I wasn't always cooking, cleaning or doing laundry.  She used to come to his house and do his laundry before I moved in, she must have thought I was going to take over.  Um, no.  I do mine, he does his.

*  She'll never be a grandmother.  Well, not much I can do about that.  He knew ages before we even began dating that I was (1) not mommy material and (2) lacking the requisite plumbing.

She and I had a 'come to Buddha' talk the weekend after the wedding.  Things are decent between us now, I can pretty much tolerate her for Mr. Imp's sake.  But don't ever put his mom and my mom together.  It would be an explosion of epic proportions.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We got pretty lucky, my family loves him, and his loves me. The only drama we have is FBIL is dating this girl that thinks we are best friends, but they have been dating for like 2 1/2 yrs and to be honest I have never liked her, just have been civil. We actually had some drama yesterday that was all caused by her. To make a long story short we had a family dinner for a birthday that we all were at, and I had invited FMIL to come with me and a couple of my BM's to try on dresses (which she couldnt because she had school) and FBIL's GF was standing right there. To try and avoid an awkward situation, I invited her too, and because of that she assumed she would be in the wedding party. Thing is, is that her and I only see one another at family functions because we have to. Like I said before, I dont care too much for her, no one in the family really does, she is just drama. Once she found out she wasnt in the bridal party, crap hit the fan. I, thankfully, was out of town until today, but she brought it up to my FI last night after some sake (they were all out for a mutual friends bday celebration). It ended in me having to be very blunt throught a text message, and her in tears. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me. It is just unwanted and not needed drama... Glad to know I am not the only one who suffers from that one person!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://lasvegas.weddings.com/main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_anyone-anyone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:0a968485-be04-49d3-9168-09d59e115b2bPost:4ed5bf30-e1be-437e-ad2a-d7f4d3dafd38">Re: Has anyone or does anyone have</a>:
    [QUOTE]Nope. I would never marry someone if they had issues with my family and/or I had issues with theirs. We love our parents and siblings very much =o)
    Posted by ahr1982[/QUOTE]

not everyones as lucky as you. But I love my FI more than I hate dealing with his mom.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_anyone-anyone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:0a968485-be04-49d3-9168-09d59e115b2bPost:4ed5bf30-e1be-437e-ad2a-d7f4d3dafd38">Re: Has anyone or does anyone have</a>:
    [QUOTE]Nope. <strong>I would never marry someone if they had issues with my family and/or I had issues with theirs</strong>. We love our parents and siblings very much =o)
    Posted by ahr1982[/QUOTE]

Umm.. well good for you. I love my parents and siblings and I know my husband loves his. But his mom hates me for taking her son away, so my Husband should have never married me for that? That seems pretty stupid. I guess you are the minority since it is a well known fact that much of the population does not get along with their "Monster in law"
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh, I will say that FMIL is an interesting character. She had a ton of physical and mental problems, and is generally cranky with everyone. But we all just have an extra ounce of patience when dealing with her. If you get her on a good day, she can be very fun. So hopefully October 1st is a good day!

Both our families are very laid back, but it sounds like a recipe for drama: FI's side are Jewish and Athiest. My side is Catholic and Muslim. Add some of our gay and lesbian friends, and we are set for a PAR-TAY!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards