Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

Prenup, anyone?

I'm really thinking about getting a prenup to protect what I've worked so hard for all my life. What do you think about it?

Re: Prenup, anyone?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I will not be doing one...but....as a legal secretary in a Family Law office, I most def see the benifits too BOTH PARTIES, sooooo with that said just make sure that you BOTH make sure it covers all you have earned up until now and GL :)
    2011-2012 Races
    10/29/11 LA RockNRoll Min Half (5K) 42:58
    12/4/11 Vegas RockNRoll Half 3:14:53
    1/7/12 WDW Half 3:13:42
    1/15/12 RnR AZ 2:55:27 (PR!!)
    1/29/12 Tinkerbell 1/2 3:22:37 (To many picture stops!lol)
    Me:32 DH:33
    IFV w/ DE Only Option (On Hold For Now)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it's a great idea.  In my case, he is divorced with kids.  I want to make sure that anything I have that I want to go to my family members if something should happen to both of us unexpectedly, does, instead of to his kids.  I also want to make sure that any assets that I may have are protected, for whatever reason.  He also co-owns a business which is a family business and I'm sure he wants to protect that as well, as it should go to his kids.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it's good to get one if you're coming into the relationship with a lot.....or if it's a second marriage and kids and households are involved.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If I would be marrying anybody outside of my profession (law enforcement) I would get one. This is because I feel that I should not have to share my pension. It's selfish, but i'm the one putting my life on the line every day and even as measely as it is, I want to have the security of knowing that I will have means to live when I retire.Thankfully my FI is also a cop so I don't need to worry about it. The pensions would just cancel each other out.But, if I did have family assests I would definitely get one. Just to protect myself.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You know you're situation and who knows what is going to happen in the future. Do whatever feels right, regardless of what others think. When you go with your gut you can't go wrong.    
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Its not such a big thing in the UK and were not getting one. Maybe if I had more to lose I would think differently but I couldn't get my FH to sign something that says if we split he doesn't get anything.. i'd feel like I was either jinxing the wedding or didn't 100% believe we were going to be together forever.  We will both take out wills after we are married which will state who gets what anyway and once were married if anything happens to either of us then the other one will get everything.
  • Options
    Venetian10Venetian10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies, I feel much better about a prenup. I want my kids to get my assets not my husband to be, because if something happened to me, he will get married again and live happy ever after off of my money. (smile)Not going to happen.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards