Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

Pros/Cons of Buffet Reception?

Hello Ladies!Has anyone planned or attended a buffet reception? I am considering this idea instead of a formal sit down dinner for about 30 guests. I haven't been to Vegas myself, but many people that I have spoken to have said that many brides lean towards the buffet reception because its cost efficient and you do not have to 'prepay' for a room like I have encountered else where. Any suggestions?

Re: Pros/Cons of Buffet Reception?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    It's been done/ is being done by many brides.  The more popular buffet location I've seen being used was  Planet Hollywood, there's a semi private area for larger groups.  (jillianb72 is one bio to look at for PH)Other buffets used: Paris, Excalibur, Rio, Mirage.   and / or places like Sunset Gardens, The Grove, The Ritz etc offer buffet options.Cons; I would say would be some places want final numbers and prepayment for guests, some brides are not comfortable with that and/or aren't providing the meal cost to their guests..... also there's a 18-21% gratuity added to the total bill for parties larger than 8 persons.  Not sure who's bill would get stuck with that if guests were paying individually.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'll look into Planet Hollywood....At the end of the day, my future husband and I would be stuck with the bill, which is why we are trying to watch our pennies.....I know that some restaurants offer really good dinner prices, except that our parents feel we should be able to walk into anywhere and not get turned away because, who would want to turn away 30 people?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I dont think anyone would "turn away" 30 people, but especially if you are getting married on a weekend you may have a horribly long wait. This goes for a restaurant as well as a buffet if you dont have premade arrangements, especially the popular buffets can have very long lines.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've both been to a buffet reception, and am having my own. This was at (and will be at) the Spice Market inside Planet Hollywood. It's really a great spot. Everyone raved about the food, and the cost was reasonable. The one I attended had about 40 guests, while we're estimating around 80. They also let you bring in a cake, and they'll pour champagne for a toast. The only cons I would mention is that it's not quite as fancy as some other receptions are (such as a Maggiano's reception). There's no dance floor, no music... It's simply a nice buffet. If you're okay with forgoing that, then I think you should be fine. And you can always go out to a club or bar afterwards, which is what we are doing.
  • Options
    mloeksmloeks member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    most places require large parties to make a reservation...it is vegas after all. yeah, i could get away with walking into my small hometown restaurant with 30 people and they would eagerly seat us. A restaurant in Vegas may be busy and you can totally expect a wait and not to be seated together. All restaurant/buffet web sites say Reservation Needed...
  • Options
    ShaunaCookShaunaCook member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we are having our buffet reception in the bayside buffet at mandalay bay (with an insuite cake/drink reception to follow after).  it is $26 pp, we dont need to give final numbers to anyone, we just show up at our reserved time with the number of people we have (we had to give an estimated number), then we pay when we arrive.  seems pretty foolproof ...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was originally planning on flying to vegas in the new year, to pick a venue and finalize my reservations at the wynn for the ceremony......ill definitly be looking at those places as well, thanks so much ladies!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards