Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

Am I asking too much?

My plan was to get married on Sunday and have a late afternoon wedding with the following schedule: Friday night - Bachelor/bachelorette partySaturday afternoon - beer and pizza with friends in the afternoonSaturday evening - dinner with our familiesSunday morning - brunch with the bride and groom for people that may need to leave after the wedding for work on MondaySunday evening - wedding  and in-suite receptionSunday night - party with my friends and new hubbyBut now I'm wondering if I am being a pain in the butt by asking my friends to take off work on Friday to get in town for the bachelor/ bachelorette party and Monday (since they will probably be exhausted and hung over from Sunday night fun) and pay for 3 nights stay in Vegas. Any thoughts?

Re: Am I asking too much?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We are getting married on a Sunday, and honestly - none of your concerns crossed my mind until the date was already set. Our date is meaningful though, its the day we met in Vegas. So it can not be any different! No one so far has had any comments back to us about it being on a Sunday, except for my cousin who is still in high school, since he has to go to school the next day. So far my guests are all taking of Fri and Monday from their jobs, some Thurs and Tues as well - and travelling from all over the US! I say talk it over with the people most important to you, see if they have any concerns or not.
  • Options
    ndenbowndenbow member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know how you feel- our wedding is on a Friday night with the Bachelor/Bachelorette party on Thursday night. We are being married exactly a year from when we said I love you, and one day after the year anniversary of us reconnecting. So the date we set is something that is special for us. We aren't inviting a lot of people, but i've been asked 3 times to change our wedding date (one of them was my bridesmaid, who also asked me to change the dress to the same as one of her other friends were asking them to wear so SHE didn't have to buy another dress) anyway, i digress.. i had to have another friend of mine who just had a destination wedding sit down and tell me that basically, there are going to be people that you really want there, that just won't be able to make it, for whatever reason.. and that your focus should be on marrying the man you love and all the other details will work themselves out.. the people that can't come will still be happy for you and wish you all the best, no matter what. we are compensating by purchasing a girls/boys suite, that anyone who wants to save some money because they will have to fly in, can come solo and crash there with us until the night of our wedding (where they will have the suites to themselves and the FI and i will have our own room). Good luck and don't stress! :-)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I really think it depends on the guest, you might get a few that can't take that much time off, but if you give everyone fair notice, they can make their plans from there....Personally I planned mine for a Sat. so that people who could not take that much time could still be there. My friend did a Sat. Wedding, and I still took Fri & Mon off (to recover!) So it really will depend on your guest and there willingness :)
    2011-2012 Races
    10/29/11 LA RockNRoll Min Half (5K) 42:58
    12/4/11 Vegas RockNRoll Half 3:14:53
    1/7/12 WDW Half 3:13:42
    1/15/12 RnR AZ 2:55:27 (PR!!)
    1/29/12 Tinkerbell 1/2 3:22:37 (To many picture stops!lol)
    Me:32 DH:33
    IFV w/ DE Only Option (On Hold For Now)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What I have found is my friends/family will come if it fits in their schedule. All of our guests that are coming are taking off of work Tues/Wed-Sat/Sun and everyone is fine with that. They are treating it like a vacation so we don't have things planned for everyday but we have more days to play with. I would say do what you want and the people that can come will be there. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are doing something similar. Thursday-pool cabana during the day, bachelor/bachelorette at night Friday-Spa day for the ladies, rehearsal/rehearsal dinner Saturday-Wedding and reception I'm going into it with the realistic expectation that not everyone will come on Thursday because it will require an extra day off work and an extra night in a hotel. Ultimately, all I want if for people to be there for our wedding. If they can make a long weekend out of it and go to all ove the events, that's even better.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am having mine on a Thursday. I looked at it like this (we are two years out) everyone has a ton of time to plan for time off. If they cannot be there Its their loss. I am marrying the one I love On that day because it is meaningful to us. Thoes who can make it great, thoes who cant oh well. It will still be special, and as much as I know I will want certin people there that cannot be, I know that they are there in faith and with congradulations in our unity. I cannot please everyone. Its one day of a new beginning, and it will be celebrated in the best way possible.
  • Options
    Ray_RayRay_Ray member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There were 3 people that I said I absolutely could not get married without- my Mum, my best friend and one of my sisters. Everyone else is a bonus.As others have said, you'll never please everybody and you may end up with people not being able to make it, but it's your wedding.Some people may not be able to make the Friday or might have to go work with a with a hangover, but I'm sure they'll work it outThere are some of our friends who initially said yes but are now unable to afford it. Of course it would have been lovely for them to come but our day won't be any less special without them there. We'll just party with them when we come home!And as for that bridesmaid, well...!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Personally I don't think your being a pain in the butt. When my best friend got married here at home I still took two days off of work for rehearsal dinner and pre-wedding pampering. Your giving them enough time to save money and plan wisely. And if they can't stay for all three days, then that's okay. No wedding has a 100% satisfaction rating. So, just relax and do what makes you happy. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with the other ladies. We're also getting married on a Sunday. I'm asking everyone to come down Thurs/Fri & leave Mon. I've given everyone atleast a year in advance to arrange time off - those who can make it will & those who can't will be missed dearly!! You're not being a pain in the butt, you've got plans & just want to make sure everyone has enough time to enjoy themselves!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    With it being a "DW", people are aware that they'll likely need to take off a day or two outside of the weekend. We were married on a Thursday!  Most people did the Wed-Sun vacation... a few even did the Tues-Friday deals.As for your schedule, don't be surprised if some of your guests don't show up for ALL of the events you have planned even if they're only for 1/2 the day or a few hours. They may want to do their own things while in Vegas, it is a vacation too afterall and they're only required to attend the actual ceremony/reception.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards