North Carolina
Options

Good Morning!

It's 10 am and no one has posted one!

Nothing exciting this weekend.  Considering getting a second dog--I am not sold on the idea, I think it would be better to wait until after the wedding/honeymoon but FI thinks it would really e good for our 9 month old puppy who has way too much energy.  There is one dog at the rescue group who has been in the program for over  a year -- I think its beceause she is plain looking which is sad.  She wasn't good with cats last time they tested her, but they were going to retest her yesterday (she's older now and has been through training) so if she is better with them now, we might be getting another dog!  If she is still not good with them, I will feel awful that we can't take her, but I can't inflict another dog on my 7 year old cat who will chase him all over the house. 

Hope everyone has a great weekend, and happy birthday Meredith!

Re: Good Morning!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Happy Friday!  DH keeps saying maybe we should get a second dog to help Lola be less shy.  I'm not quite sure about it though.  I've read different opinions on whether a second dog will help a shy dog. And I'm a sucker for animals, if it was feasible I'd adopt all of them lol.

Anybody have an opinion on whether a second dog would be good for Lola?
  • Options
    NcsuPsychNcsuPsych member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Good Morning!

I just finished making eclair cake for our SS cookout tonight. Now on to dicing up strawberries, tomatos and onions (ick).

DH offered to let me get a cat from Durhams Shelters. They've got WAYYY too many apparently and the fees are low in order to reduce the amount since they don't want to put them down. I was excited about it and I think we may go look. . but theres also a sad part. . we have to return the Chilas. I can't hardly be in the same room with them more than 5 minutes and then I get all stuffy feeling wit hheadaches and start sniffling and sneezing. :o(. They're soo cute and were starting to warm up to us, but my testing has come back positive for asthma (don't know the degree of it) and my allergy testing isnt complete. . but anyways, it's just not working which I HATE!!

We're still trying to figure some things out though about the adoption process likeeee what if Gir (current kitty) does not like the new cat?? What do we do if that happens?

Hope everyone has a great day!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Beka, Daisy didn't like Hamilton at first.  She hissed everytime we cracked open the door to his quarentine room.  She hissed at him and smacked him a lot once we let them interact.  We made sure to cut her nails so she couldn't injure hiim.  And she was mad at us for about 6 months.  But she seems to accept him now.  And I think she's actually glad to have a buddy.  I have a picture of them curled up sleeping together on the couch.  And when we have to leave them for a weekend, and especially when we left them for 2 weeks for the wedding/honeymoon I think she's glad to have a buddy.  So as long as Gir doesn't seem to be trying to kill a new cat I think it'll be fine in the long run.  I'd definitely do the quarentine for a week though, Hamilton ended up coming down with a really bad URI about 2 days after we got him (sneezing blood and everything).  But we made sure to give Daisy wet food as a special treat progressively closer to the door of the quarentine room, and lots of love and attention.  And it might be a good idea to get a cat smaller/younger than Gir so Gir isn't so threatened.
  • Options
    NcsuPsychNcsuPsych member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Thats what we were thinking. It sounds like a lot of their cats are actually kittens. We would def. do the quarentine and also use it with Lucy and Timmy.  I really think Gir would like a friend and that she gets into so much 'trouble' because the dogs dont play with her like she would like.

I want another kitty!!

still sad about the chilas, but I've been sneezing ALL day (I'm not allergic to cats. . Gir's a long hair and sheds and I've never once had a reaction to her)

Plus. . DH is the one that brought up the kitty which REALLLY surprised me.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    CJ4578CJ4578 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Morning (afternoon) all! Going through some major stress here at work (and unfortunately it's mostly my error causing the stress, so even more stress on me) but hopefully I will have some more time to knot next week.

Yay for animals! We got Charlotte, our beagle, as a companion to our dog Izzy (a lab mix.) We thought having another dog around would be good for her since we leave her alone during the day, and good for us because, well, she's adorable! They're definitely good for each other, they play all the time, which is great. I definitely recommend 2-dog families, but will say that rather than lessen Izzy's energy, she seems to have more since she has a companion to play with! That might be different in a younger dog.

Beka, sad about the 'Chilas! At least hopefully your sneezing will stop. :(
    -- C
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    tarheelbabstarheelbabs member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you're looking for kitties, I have a friend who is fostering two adorable black and white ones recovered from a hoarder in the Durham area.  She showed me pix this evening and the are gorgeous.  I can get more info, if you'd like.  She's very involved with Safe Haven in Raleigh.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards