Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

? for those that work in offices...

Did you put an invite in the break room for everyone? I know this is done a lot for people that have weddings at home. I am actually going back to my old job at the end of this month, I was there for 8 years so I know everyone very well and am closer to some over others, so I'd sorta feel bad if I didn't.
I know a couple people may ask once I'm back, which what do you say, umm no we're not actually inviting you/everyone. I went to their Halloween party last Oct (after I was engaged), and one was like so are we all invited to Vegas, kidding but I think sorta serious too.
Do I want all of them there, no, will all of them actually come, doubt it, but there's that off chance. Obviously not all as the whole place would shut down. I just feel kinda bad not doing it and wonder if others are..?

TIA!

Re: ? for those that work in offices...

• Options
    direy25direy25 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

I've never heard of this - so by doing this are you actually inviting everyone you work with?  I only invited those that I work directly with / felt close to, and sent the invitations to their home address.

ETA - you mentioned that you're closer to some than others - isn't that the same thing as picking & choosing who you're inviting to your wedding in general?  You wouldn't put a FB post inviting everyone to your wedding...

Married 5.6.11

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Not sure how much you're planning on spending per guest at the reception but I don't think I'd offer a general invite for the whole office.  If you don't really care to have someone at your wedding, they shouldn't be there, and if they have a little temporary hurt feelings as a result, you could probably get them a small gift at some point later to mend fences for less than it would cost to have them at your reception; if you really wanted to make sure they were not harboring any lasting feelings.  I did invite a few from work.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My department is 17 people, including team leads and managers. There's just no way for me to offer an open invite with my too-crowded guest list. I am giving invites to 4 people- 3 are in my "group" so I work closely with them every day. 1 is outside of my "group" but is my closest friend in the department. I'm fairly close with only one girl in my group, but I felt bad just inviting the people I'm closest with, especially since I talked a lot about my wedding early on.

If you're guest list can handle it, then go for it, but I wouldn't put an invite out there and just HOPE that most of them don't show up. How many people are we talking about?
  • Options
    smokeybaileysmokeybailey member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hell to the no.
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• Options
    Sara191431Sara191431 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah people do that here all the time, since I've been at the job I'm at now, about 2 and a half years, 2 co-workers have had weddings and have done that.
    There are 15 people in the office now, one of which started after I left so I don't know him at all so he wouldn't come, one of them I am inviting for sure (she wants to be my flower girl, lol).

I probably won't do it, but I just feel bad I guess as I've been there/was there for so long, they were like my second family ya know. I bawled all day on my last day. I guess if I really want to do it, I can and just plan for all of them to come, but guessing FI won't be too keen on that.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Both FI and I work for the same company and we only invited the people we are close to in our department.  I was lazy and handed them their invitation instead of mailing it to their house.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    wallacjewallacje member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Nope.  If I knew them personally then I would send them an invitation to their house, but definitely wouldn't put it up in the break room, but then again our office is 400+ people.
  • Options
    MNVegasMNVegas member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No I would never do an open general invitation. If you want people from your office at the wedding, send them each an invitation.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I second, hell to the no.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would only send people you are close to an invite, and I would def send it to their home. Don't feel bad for not inviting everyone, they will understand!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i wouldnt send an invitation to anyone that i didnt want to actually attend my wedding. i dont really understand the pity invite to avoid hurt feelings. instead of saying, "oh i just didnt want you at my wedding" you can do the "we are keeping the guest list small" or something like that.
    Photobucket My Eddie and GusGus :)Photobucket
  • Options
    lsvenssonlsvensson member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI and I work at the same company, but it's rather large (2,000+ at our headquarters) and while we're inviting some people from work, we've been SUPER picky about who because then you run into that problem of "circles"-- if you invite some people from one "circle", or team, you have to invite all fo them.  

Sounds like in your smaller-office situation, if you want to invite coworkers (all, or just select few) I'd go the traditional invite route and get them all individual invites.  From their perspective, if someone invited me to a DW (or is this the invite to the AHR?) via a communal note in the break room, I might not think it was quite...legit? Not sure legit is the right word, and totally don't mean to offensive...just meaning people might be more inclined to come if they got separate invites. :)  Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    For those that ask you can say you are only inviting close family and friends.  The ones you want in attendance send them a formal invitation and ask that they not discuss it in the office.  Most people are not that worried about actually going to a coworkers wedding especially if you do not engage these people outside of the workplace.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've had multiple people ask me about details - some have even asked for invites (!!!).  I'm only inviting one current co-worker to our wedding, and I'm mailing him an invite.  I think, especially with a DW, it's easier to "get away with" not inviting everyone.

Our offices usually do a wedding shower for the bride/groom, so I'm thinking that's how I will celebrate with them (if they throw a party for us).

I've never seen an invite in a break-room, regardless of the size of the offices I've worked in...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    And this is why we are having or wedding 1 very long plane ride way! No way in hell the boss would let us all off at the same time! lol
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the responses, all makes sense.  I don't think that I will, most should understand. 

Have a good weekend everyone!
  • Options
    hstaples4hstaples4 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did end up sending everyone I work with in my department a save the date and will send an invitation too. Our department is only about 14 people, if Im only going off of people I really like and feel close too it'd only be about half that but I figured I might as well send one to the other 7 to avoid awkwardness. Just about everyone i work with has already told me they can't make it. I work at a university and planned our wedding right after the month long Christmas break so by the time my wedding rolls around everyone will have used up a ton of their vacation time. And I work with a bunch of older(60+) ladies who aren't married and had no children and actually love to ask me questions about my wedding and all the details of it so I guess I'd feel bad if I didn't invite them.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic PersonalMilestone BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_those-work-offices?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:6805158f-0322-4fbd-9b92-e9e5b8f28935Post:a99528b2-2b09-447b-98f6-ad0a56d47ce0">Re:? for those that work in offices...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I did end up sending everyone I work with in my department a save the date and will send an invitation too. Our department is only about 14 people, if Im only going off of people I really like and feel close too it'd only be about half that but I figured I might as well send one to the other 7 to avoid awkwardness. Just about everyone i work with has already told me they can't make it. I work at a university and planned our wedding right after the month long Christmas break so by the time my wedding rolls around everyone will have used up a ton of their vacation time. And I work with a bunch of older(60+) ladies who aren't married and had no children and actually love to ask me questions about my wedding and all the details of it so I guess I'd feel bad if I didn't invite them.
    Posted by hstaples4[/QUOTE]

Thanks for responding, exactly how I feel.  Well I'll just see how it goes once I'm back and decide then.  Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards