Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

Marriage License

After the wedding ceremony, I should request copies of the marriage license or marriage certificat in order to go through the name changing process? Also, after the ceremony, Mandalay Bay or my officiant or whoever will deal with the marriage license correct? I don't need to re-mail it in right?

Re: Marriage License

• Options
    futurecoachkfuturecoachk member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm confused about this entire process also.  Could someone let us know?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You will need one witness to sign, and when the minister comes to speak with you, he'll ask who that will be.  In my case, I had my MOH sign, she was there with me in the dressing room when I met with the minister.

The WC told me that the Chapel sends in the paperwork to the county and that it would take a few days to process.  We were married on 3/27 and when I looked us up on the county website for the Recorder's office, our marriage was certified as of 3/31.

I then followed the links and ordered a certified copy of the certificate directly from the county website.  It cost $18.50 ($15 + $3.50 credit card processing) to have them send me a copy.  I ordered it on a Sunday and got it by Thursday.

This is the document you'll need to change your name.  I'm not doing that, but I gave a copy of it to Joe for him to submit to his benefits office so I could get on his health insurance.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

The license is what the office gives you to take to your officiant to complete to get your certificate. You can get a copy of the license, but the certificate is what people are looking for to change your name.

And FYI... On a semi-related side note, my aunt sent DH and me a check as a wedding present and made it out only to our married names. When I went to cash it, the lady at the bank said that I could use the keepsake certificate (the one they give back to you after the ceremony) to verify we are married while I work out the process of getting my cert from LV and changing my name.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    So you pay to get the license first, then it gets signed and registered and then you have to pay to get a copy of the license you just bought? That just seems silly to me, but I guess I wasn't clear on the whole process. I'm glad we have threads like these.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ebonyivory- yes sounds like you pay th $60 to get the license. Your witness, and officiant sign it, MB will take care of it. Then in a few weeks I can pay another $15+ for a certified copy.

BTW did any of you fill out the form online? Was it way easier?

Oh, do I only need 1 certified copy for all the name changing I have to do? I'm really not looking forward to that process!
  • Options
    leman000leman000 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Yes in all it costs approximatley $75 to get all of your marriage paperwork dealt with. 
    You first go to the courthouse and give them $60 and get a bunch of paperwork from them that you take to the chapel you are using.  - I would 100% recommend doing the online form - we went to the courthouse on a Tuesday afternoon and the people who waited in the regular line said it was taking approximately 45+ minutes and we were in and out in less that 5 minutes. 
    The person that performs your ceremony then will have the proper parties sign the forms and take them back to the courthouse to be stamped there.  Once they are on file there (usually 5-10 days after the wedding they said) you can order your copy of the Marriage Certificate for $15 + admin fees with all the stamps and seals etc..
    Then start with the SS Admin and go from there to start the process of name changes. 
    We only ordered one copy as you can always order another if something happens to the original that you get. 

• Options
    edited December 2011

Yes, that is how it all works. I second the notion re: pre-applying for the license!

Also, we ordered two copies of the certificate right away ... just in case!

Man, the guys have it so easy in all of this! But, it took me a total of 35 minutes to go through the Social Security Administration, drive over to the DMV, and go through the DMV last week...very lucky!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Another question!

So I saw the form online that you print out and bring in, and I also saw the online form that you submit. Did you submit the form online or just prefill in your form???
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Fill out the form below...when you submit, you will be given a confirmation number -- that is all you need. When you get to the Marriage License Bureau, go to the Express line and have your confirmation number.

<a href="https://aivitals.co.clark.nv.us/webinquiryinternet/">https://aivitals.co.clark.nv.us/webinquiryinternet/</a> (Marriage Application tab is on far right)

In Response to <a href="http://lasvegas.weddings.com/main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_marriage-license-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:6ac2c492-9bde-4812-bdd6-f6eaf5359cb4Post:8e4d0e4f-30ba-4676-bc4f-d29db04cb837">Re: Marriage License</a>:
    [QUOTE]Another question! So I saw the form online that you print out and bring in, and I also saw the online form that you submit. Did you submit the form online or just prefill in your form???
    Posted by dvohnout[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    eva- your the best! thank you!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I totally missed out on the online service for the license, that's definately the way to go in order to avoid the lines.

We went down on a Sunday afternoon, so thankfully, it was practically empty at the bureau.
  • Options
    mloeksmloeks member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We stood about 10 mins in the line...if that...and filled out the license during that time as we couldn't get the web site to work. I have seen similar waits. No one over 15 mins.
    Also, you really only need one copy. Most places either copied it themselves or just looked at my certified copy to verify the info.
    My bank would NOT allow a keepsake license to be used. My job also wouldn't allow it for putting my husband on my insurance.
    So check with the place that you are going to have your info done at. We didn't find anyone that would allow us to, but it was a fast process to get the license. Just watched the site, ordered and voila!
    (Also, I don't know if other brides had this experience, but we got offers from one company over and over again to order a certified copy of our license. It was like $35 compared to the $15 for the actual cost. Just watch for that. It's ridiculous, but I am sure some brides fall for it.)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards