Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

Budgeting-Tax and Tips

Hey LV Knotties:

How much are you adding to your budgets to account for tax and tips? Specifically tax?

Several venues will say they charge an additional 20% tax, but the sales tax in LV is only 8.1%, right? I'm so confused and an unaccounted for 20% can really make or break a budget in my book.

When it comes to tipping, I have no idea what to do...

Re: Budgeting-Tax and Tips

• Options
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_budgeting-tax-and-tips?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:74e3c0b2-d330-4288-8b84-8bfc5ce9672cPost:524ecb73-4142-4981-8ca5-4cc1c67c6934">Budgeting-Tax and Tips</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hey LV Knotties: How much are you adding to your budgets to account for tax and tips? Specifically tax? Several venues will say they charge an additional 20% tax, but the sales tax in LV is only 8.1%, right? I'm so confused and an unaccounted for 20% can really make or break a budget in my book. When it comes to tipping, I have no idea what to do...
    Posted by krisstyle12[/QUOTE]

This is a really good guide:

<a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.freedsbride.com/las-vegas-wedding-tipping-procedures">http://www.freedsbride.com/las-vegas-wedding-tipping-procedures</a>

The venues should be explicit about what taxes and fees should be, so you should have a final number.  I've only heard of a 20% service charge, not 20% tax.  Then tip on top of that (per the link above).

I overbudgeted for tips, because I knew we'd be using cabs or valet, the bell desk, etc., then there are all the wedding-related items (transport, ceremony, reception, photog).

HTH!
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_budgeting-tax-and-tips?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:74e3c0b2-d330-4288-8b84-8bfc5ce9672cPost:76df5863-12e6-4f5e-a6bf-09157ccb2ac0">Re: Budgeting-Tax and Tips</a>:
    [QUOTE]20% is a service charge, which they use to tip the servers. It ensures a group of 75 people doesn't stiff the servers who spent a few hours serving them (not that any of us would do that - it's simply an industry standard when dealing with a group of eight or more).
    Posted by burntofferings[/QUOTE]

I think this depends on the venue.  In some cases, like with Maggiano's, the service charge does NOT go to the servers.  (However, it is possible that the charge helps increase their hourly wage.)  If you want to tip them, you will have to give money above and beyond the 20%.  You can inquire with the venue to clarify.

This is verbatim from my contract:

<span style="font-size:9pt;font-family:'Arial','sans-serif';">"The sales minimum for the Function is $<span>xxxx</span> (the "Minimum"), and does not include tax or 20% event fee.<span>  </span>The 20% event fee is an administrative fee retained entirely by Maggiano’s for the staffing, set up and administration expenses related to hosting your Function. The event fee is not considered a tip, because it is not distributed to servers, bartenders or other service employees working your function."</span>
  • Options
    I can't believe that about Maggianos; that's BS.  Here's your price, but it's not your real price, the real price is 20% higher, and then you still have to tip on top of that.  Sounds like resort fees.

Regarding tax, if a place is calling something tax, and it's not, it's illegal.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_budgeting-tax-and-tips?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:74e3c0b2-d330-4288-8b84-8bfc5ce9672cPost:fbb64f46-aa76-41f6-8dc8-c7db682d42d5">Re: Budgeting-Tax and Tips</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oops. I forgot about Maggiano's. I think I read that their servers are paid a fair wage, not the crappy server minimum, so that's why they do that.
    Posted by burntofferings[/QUOTE]
    Yes it says that in their contract. It says tips are not required since they pay them well. So for Maggianos its and additional 20% then the tax. For other venues, I suggest making sure that they dont require a tip on top of that fee.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Our venue adds on a 22% service charge (gratuity) and the 8.1% Nv state tax.  I'd add 30% to your budget number just to be safe.
  • Options
    We had state tax plus 20% service fee but it wasn't hidden.  It was on the bottom of every page of the menu so no surprises.  I'm amazed that a national chain like Maggiano's would not make that clear.
  • Options
    Our reception contract states that we pay the 8.1% tax and a 21% gratuity, so we will not be adding any tips to that, especially since we are having it at the Le Village Buffet and most of the service will be setting up tables, clearing a few plates and refilling wine and beer glasses. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards