Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

STD and invite timeline question

Vegas will be a destination wedding for us. so should I send BOTH save the dates and formal invites? We are getting married in September so when should I send them out?? I figured just doing invites since I need to know how many people are attending but someone told me I had to do save the dates too.....

Re: STD and invite timeline question

• Options
    I'd do save the dates immediately; vegas can be a lot cheaper for guests if they have a decent time to book flights and hotels, and then more of your guests will be able to go.

The general rule of thumb you'll hear around this site is you should only invite the number of people you can accommadate and you may get some very strongly worded replies to that effect; just something to be prepared for.  You kind of have to pick your venue first though since otherwise there would be no way to include in the invite where your guests are actually being invited to; if it could change based on guest count. 

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• Options
    edited January 2012
    I don't think you have to do STDs but they are a good way to give your guests a "heads up", like VG explained. You don't have to spend a ton of money on them either, we emailed electronic ones once the wedding website (not the bio) was completed. 
    One STD rule is that a STD = an invitation, so just keep that in mind; and yes, picking a venue that can accomodate the [even rough] number of guests on your list would be wise. I could be wrong but I guess you don't have to have the actual venue down for your STDs; if you haven't booked it, it should suffice to put the date and location (Las Vegas) on them.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I did STDs and sent them 9 months from our wedding.  (We have guests coming from out of the country and some need to get passports!)

Sometimes I wish I hadn't done STDs, because as Wiwi said, an STD = invite.  We invited 50, our room holds 50, but it'd be nice to be able to widdle that down to 30 or something :)  I'm guessing about 40 will come.

ETA: I think it's pretty normal to send out STDs between 6-9 months out.  Then send your invites 8 weeks before the wedding.
  • Options

STD for sure, gives people a heads up to start booking travel and saving $$! Invites are normally 8 weeks out, but I am sending mine earlier to really give people a chance to book travel sooner.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_std-invite-timeline-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:74fc5313-8b2c-499f-9240-74f49a2bd06fPost:e5340004-4b10-4579-a65a-6ab0acd804f5">Re: STD and invite timeline question</a>:
    [QUOTE]STD for sure, gives people a heads up to start booking travel and saving $$! Invites are normally 8 weeks out, but I am sending mine earlier to really give people a chance to book travel sooner.
    Posted by klminor17[/QUOTE]

We did the same thing; we sent ours about five months out and gave a two month RSVP window; partly because we had a 30% off Mandalay Coupon code that would have expired before the traditional timeline, so early bookers saved a lot of money, those that didn't hopefully still got a lot better deal than you'd get booking Vegas 6 to 8 weeks out.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• Options
    We did STD and mailed them out in the begining of April for our October wedding. Many of our friends/family were able to save a boatload of money b/c Southwest and a few othetr airlines had really good sales over the summer (a month or so before our wedding invites went out, invites went out in the begining of August)

You can get STDs pretty cheap of Vistaprint. 
  • Options
    We sent out STDs in August (8 mos out) and will send invites by early February for April wedding. 

Once we sent out STDs FI kept adding people, family that he didn't mention during the initial count so we are actually over our maximum amount allowed at the reception venue.  I think (hope) it will be ok.  I'll feel better once I get some RSVPs back I think. 
  • Options
    agree with all the above - we are giving lots of notice - we sent the save the dates just about 10 months out, planning on sending out invites March / April for our late sept date
    One thing i've found awkward in a few cases is people that we originally weren't going to invite have come out and said I can't wait for the wedding! We're already starting to save for it! or even just come out and said, please invite me! lol - i think vegas may have something to do with it :) i've decided to embrace it and be excited for the people that want to celebrate with us, but the sooner the invites go out the sooner the list is final! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @torontozombielover -  Wow, that's super early for invites!  How far in advance is your RSVP date? 

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_std-invite-timeline-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:74fc5313-8b2c-499f-9240-74f49a2bd06fPost:248b7727-78fc-4948-88cd-5344d1f4c7b5">Re: STD and invite timeline question</a>:
    [QUOTE]agree with all the above - we are giving lots of notice - we sent the save the dates just about 10 months out, planning on sending out invites March / April for our late sept date One thing i've found awkward in a few cases is people that we originally weren't going to invite have come out and said I can't wait for the wedding! We're already starting to save for it! or even just come out and said, please invite me! lol - i think vegas may have something to do with it :) i've decided to embrace it and be excited for the people that want to celebrate with us, but the sooner the invites go out the sooner the list is final! :)
    Posted by torontozombielover[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_std-invite-timeline-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:74fc5313-8b2c-499f-9240-74f49a2bd06fPost:78afe672-485a-406f-b1ae-035a393b9e15">Re: STD and invite timeline question</a>:
    [QUOTE]We sent out STDs in August (8 mos out) and will send invites by early February for April wedding.  <strong>Once we sent out STDs FI kept adding people</strong>, family<strong> that he didn't mention during the initial count so we are actually over our maximum amount allowed at the reception venue</strong>.  I think (hope) it will be ok.  I'll feel better once I get some RSVPs back I think. 
    Posted by starryeyed77[/QUOTE]

Same here!  OP - make sure you have a concrete invite list when you send your STD's.  This has created so much stress for us.
    76 invited image 35 ready to partyimage 41 staying homeimageWedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards