Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

Taking your wedding dress on plane..

Did anyone here have any trouble with the airlines, specifically Air Canada or Westjet, with taking their dress on the plane with them?  I'm starting to worry that they are going to give me a hard time and I REFUSE to check my dress in my luggage..  Any info you have would be great!!

Re: Taking your wedding dress on plane..

• Options
    pebbs_17pebbs_17 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You should probably check with the airline directly.  I know in the past it hasn't been a problem, but since we are just now allowed to bring a carry-on item again it could be different.
  • Options
    ShaunaCookShaunaCook member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i checked with westjet just after christmas because we are flying down on feb 27th, they said absolutely no, i would not be allowed to bring it on.  that being said, they have relaxed the carry on rules again a little bit, so i am calling my contact (i work for a tour wholoesaler and have a corporate contact at westjet) tomorrow to see if they have changed their mind.  i will post what i find!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'd be interested in hearing what you find out, too! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Me too please!  I'm starting to really worry about it.  A friend of mine went to jamaica in December and said the airline was fine with it.  She even saw a couple of other brides on the plane carrying their dresses.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    whem i bought my dress in toronto in february, i brought it back to calgary no problem, its just with the new regulations because of that guy that tried to blow up the plance on christmas day they were allowing no carry ons ... i will try to get answers from west jet ... cant help with air canada unfortunately!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Air Canada has a section on their website about wedding dresses, that If you bring it on the plane, it counts toward your carry on limit and it must be stored in the overhead container.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    well the answer wasnt good!  my contact west jet said dresses are not permitted in the cabin :(  booo, i think i have decided that i am checking mine, cause that scares me less then sending it by fedex ..
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    anyone know about southwest and their guidelines?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I took my dress from Australia to Vegas (4 flights!) with no problems. Most of them I just put the dress in the overhead baggage comparments and made sure my family put their stuff around it to stop others putting bags & things on it. For our international flight, they kindly hung it up in the Business Class section for me (while I was left in Economy!). 

• Options
    kaburns1214kaburns1214 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_taking-wedding-dress-plane?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:938137e9-1dee-4a72-9ac6-36517f21df09Post:b75c72b5-941c-45a4-b1a5-f7722f4adfb2">Re: Taking your wedding dress on plane..</a>:
    [QUOTE]anyone know about southwest and their guidelines?
    Posted by NICOLEWILSON85[/QUOTE]

Southwest will let you take it on as a carryon but it has to fit in the overhead bin (there are no coat closets on Southwest planes).  I'm flying Southwest to Vegas and decided that instead of showing it in a bin I'm going to send it FedEx to my wedding corrodinator and she'll have it steamed before I get there.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards