Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

Flying with the Dress

For all you knotties flying into Vegas for your special day (or those Knotties that have already) - any advise on transporting the dress? I know many airlines will let you hang it up in first class, etc. - but how did you arrange this? How was it getting through security? Any thoughts or tips?
"You cannot reason with unreasonable people".

Re: Flying with the Dress

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Security was super easy.  I just put it through the scanner and I didn't have to unzip the bag.  We flew southwest and the flight attendants were very accomodating. We put our luggage in the overhead compartment first and then just laid my dress on top.
  • Options
    aegrishaegrish member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The pilots let my friend hang her dress in their closet on SWA.  I'm hoping they let me do the same.  My mom works with flight crews and she says a bag of candy is always nice :)
  • Options
    MNVegasMNVegas member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    First double bag your dress just in case your get a tear in your bag. You will lay the dress bag on the belt at security and it will go thru the scanner like any other carry on piece. Don't count on getting a place to hang your dress because there is not always a closet available no matter how much candy you give someoneSmile We flew SW and there was no closet available for anyone. I was fortunately that I was able to get a full overhead bin to lay my dresses in and stood there glaring at anyone who dared to put anything in that bin. I also brought a travel steamer with me just in case, but didn't end up needing it. GL
  • Options
    aegrishaegrish member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    there's always a pilots closet on SW.  Even in the winter, their leather jackets don't take up THAT much room in it. Just ask nicely.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    On Southwest, you can add XS at the end of your last name and their site will let you book an extra seat; if you wanted the dress to be sitting next to you.  Just an option I figured I'd throw out.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I flew southwest and I had to fold mine and put it in the overhead compartment. Luckily no one put their carry- ons on top of it. We had a cool flight attendant, she kept singing to me. Security wasn't bad the guy told me that wedding dresses make all of them nervous. And I could see that with the one TSA guy, he was starring at me the whole time. I brought an extra suitcase and folded my dress up and shoved it in there for the way home. Oh yea almost forgot, my dress was pretty wrinkly, it was a good thing I had Debi fit for a bride steaming it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Turn your dress inside out as well. Just a little bit of extra protection in case the bag does get ripped or TSA want to take it out. I think I would handle a tear in my lining much better than a tear in my dress!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Thanks KNotties - all that information is super helpful! I would have never thought about double bagging - great idea!

"You cannot reason with unreasonable people".
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Same here  - I flew SW and i asked super nice (forgot my candy lol) and no hanging space availb. I folded it up nicely and laid it on top of the other luggage in the overhead....It wasnt too wrinkled - and i brought a steamer and only had to do a few seams :-)

I just about had a panic attack on the way home though, I packed my dress into my checked luggage, and they "lost" my bag for a hot minute....I seriously thought i was going to faint...apperently, my luggage got put on an eariler flight (i still dont know how that happened!!) and it was in the holding area instead of the luggage turnstyle....all was welll though!!

Good luck, and hope it works out - dont worry too much, it isnt too bad flying with the dress :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards