Massachusetts-Cape Cod
Options

Beach Wedding/Clambake

Hello Everyone!This is my first post on the knot! My fiance and I are looking to the Cape for our reception next year. We have a very small budget and would like to make our wedding day casual but fun for everyone.We're hoping to find a beach that we can have the reception. Realizing the Cape is normally expensive to have the wedding at a venue, we'd just like a spot to have a big clambake with friends and family. The beach would have to have an area to fit a tent/parking for guests. Does anyone have any beach suggestions? Thanks,Maureen  

Re: Beach Wedding/Clambake

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Sorry, don't have any suggestions, but just wanted to say Welcome and Congrats!

Runaway Bride - Catch me if you can!
    photo by Scott Metzger
    kikijbird ~ Erica (aka Kiki) & Paul ~ 24 April 2010
    The JBirds Bio ~ Updated 03.02.10 - Invites!

Anniversary

• Options
    luvoo41488luvoo41488 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Any preference on area of the Cape? And I don't want to be a joykill, but if you plan on having it catered, it's definitely not very small budget friendly (its about $40 a head I think). Also, tent + sand may not be that doable, those things need a pretty solid footing I think, and the beaches here just aren't very firm and flat
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would call the towns and see what beaches are available and what permits are required.  Many have rules on alcohol and/or glass being allowed. And definitely call a couple caterers for rough quotes before you continue.  Tents are very expensive, plus you'll need lighting, restrooms, flooring, rentals (tables, chairs, linens, silverware), etc. etc.  Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Welcome to the board and congrats on your engagement!I agree with the other brides-to-be that the rentals, permits, and other logistics might not work with your budget.  I would suggest however looking into Hemispheres Restaurant in Sandwich.  The have a room on the first floor (basement) with lots of windows, newly renovated, and it is right on the beach.  You can literally walk out onto the beach from the room.  It is a small room (probably only allows for 80-100 people depending on if you are having a dance floor) therefore the prices are really reasonable.  Plus, they do offer clambakes for weddings!  You can also get married right there on the beach.I hope this helps and good luck!
  • Options
    MomoJRMomoJR member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hello again-We have a couple of family houses down the Cape, so we spend most of our weekends down there. I haven't seen this done, but I was hoping someone else might have seen a clambake on some beach. Most of them have small parking lots and high dunes, which don't make it great for this situation. The houses are too small to have the parties there, so I was looking to expand our options.We're going to keep it really casual and not go crazy with the tent, tables, decorations...basically spend the day on the beach with everyone, get ready at one of the houses and then go back to have the ceremony and clambake by the beach. We have a clambake company in mind, that's really reasonable. So we'll be calling them to see what they've seen done.Thanks for the restaurant suggestion, we're going to call to check it out this weekend! Does anyone else know of smaller/reasonable restaurants on the beach like Hemispheres? Has anyone ever seen the BeachComber (wellfleet) rented out for a party?I'm thinking about 100 people and probably a September wedding...unless not permitted/places are closed.We're going down this weekend to check some stuff out...so any suggestions beforehand will be great!!! Thanks everyone! Much appreciated!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What about the Seacrest Resort in Falmouth? They do an outside clambake type wedding. I am actually going to one at the end of this month. I heard the place was really nice.
  • Options
    luvoo41488luvoo41488 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've never seen the beachcomber rented out (it can be done though... I think one of their long time staff I know had their reception there.) but as long as you're going for ultra casual, it would be great. It's really picturesque, but if plastic tables and beach shack chic aren't the look you want, I'd try pp's suggestions. It sounds like that's the kind of relaxed vibe you like though, so definitely give them a shot! Plus, they're definitely set up for live music if you're having a band
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The seacrest unfortunately is going to be expensive next year. I looked into booking there, and they are doing a multimillion dollar renovation this winter and doubling their rates. If you don't mind going to mid-cape, I am having my ceremony at the surf & sand motel in Yarmouth - they have a large grassy lawn just before the dunes where we will have the ceremony, and they own Skippy's Pier 1, which is on a marina - looking to be about $35 pp, no fees for cake cutting, ceremony, etc. This was actually one of the most reasonable places I have found both on and off cape. HTH
  • Options
    jkriegerjkrieger member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you don't mind having it at a restaurant on the beach check out Hemispheres. They have a beach area, a private room downstairs and can do a clambake.
  • Options
    MomoJRMomoJR member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Again-We checked out Hemispheres a couple of weekends ago and liked it a lot. The function area seems small though. They said 100 people max but I've heard 80-90 was really crowded in there. I'm looking at about 120 right now and not sure how we'll cut people out to make it down to 100. Looking like Hemispheres might be out for now.Has anyone ever been to a party at Trader Ed's in Hyannis? The place seems pretty neat and the more casual style we're looking for. I just email Pamet Harbor Yacht Club...has anyone had there wedding there or planning to? Another post had said they let you bring in your own caterer and alcohol.Anymore waterfront/beachfront restaurant suggestions?Thanks for all the responses...
  • Options
    jentarachasjentarachas member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi there! Did you ever find a spot? I am planning a very similar wedding for next fall - around 100 or so people. Want something casual, possibly a clamback. I'm interested to see where you landed. Thanks! Jen
  • Options
    MomoJRMomoJR member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Jen:We ended up booking the Flying Bridge in Falmouth. Hemisphere was really nice if you can keep it under 100 and do clambakes. It's pretty difficult to find "casual" in the Cape. Everything still costs a ton of money. We went and looked at Pamet in Truro, but the room would again need to be under 100. Otherwise you're looking at a tent to rent. We were going to go the route of rent everything, but that also adds up quick. Went the way of having a restaurant who has everything available to us. I would suggest a restaurant if you're trying to keep costs low. Fridays are sometimes lower site fees and Sundays might be free site fees.I'm definitely finding there are costs I never really thought about...so the budget is bulging!Good Luck...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards