Massachusetts-Cape Cod

Marriage License

We are getting married at the Wequassett June 26, 2010. My fiance and I live in NJ. Does anyone know how to go about applying for a marriage license in Chatham,MA? I know there is a 3 day waiting period. If we can't because of work, I am wondering if they will hold it for us until the wedding?

Re: Marriage License

• edited December 2011
    In Massachachusetts, you don't have to apply for the license in the town you're getting married in, BUT you do have to go together in person to apply and then go back to pick it up (only one of you has to be there for that). Costs $25, and they have the three-day waiting period. I think you can't apply for it more than 2 months before the wedding. They will probably hold it for you, but you have to work that out with the city hall.
  • capebride2009capebride2009 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Also - FYI - even though the Wequassett says they are in chatham they are technically in Harwich - so make sure you list Harwich as address or MA will send it back to you and you have to apply twice and pay twice... you can still apply in Chatham - you can apply at any city hall in MA - just list the address of the location as Harwich.
  • capebride2009capebride2009 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    also - we were told it has a 30 day expiration...
  • edited December 2011
    Fees vary by city/town.  It is good for 60 days, not 30.
  • edited December 2011
    and you will need the street address of where the ceremony is, not the name of the church/inn. So make sure you have the street address.
  • carolyns4882carolyns4882 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much...this info is very helpful! Has anyone left it with city hall (if they couldn't wait three days) and picked it up right before the ceremony??
  • edited December 2011
    Carolyn, I wouldn't do that. You don't know if it is going to be accurate, so you will want some flex time just in case. and besides, who wants to be doing that right on/before the wedding day? You will have nerves to calm and maybe mimosas to drink that morning...I would google search some municipalities with saturday hours, and come up for a day. Make a weekend of it with FI.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards