Massachusetts-Cape Cod
Options

Flower question...

So if we don't need any ceremony flowers, or flower girl flowers and basically need  1 Bride's bouquet, 4 bride's maids bouquet (small and simple), 2 corsages 5 boutonniere and 10 centerpieces (of mostly feathers - not flowers).  

Is $1,500 a reasonable price.  I feel like it is but maybe I'm wrong.  
Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket

Re: Flower question...

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Very reasonable... I guess depending on what type of flowers you use and how extravagent your centerpieces are, I'd be surprised if you end up paying anything over that.
    Married June 26, 2010! | Wedding/For Sale Bio
  • Options
    Alexandra1976Alexandra1976 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, not only am I getting married but I work in the florist industry and in answer to you question.....your average bouquet is between $125.00 and $250.00 depending on flowers. Even though the flowers might be cute and small..it does not always mean they are cute and small in price.  Calla's for instance....they are going for $9.00 per stem!!! Not so cute! 
    Brides maids bouquets...on an average are $75.00!
    Boys bouts are around $10.00 on average.

Now...not knowing what type of glass ware you are using and what type of centerpiece you are looking for???  Sounds to me a little on what we call the "High" style and they can be pricey. Feathers? Flowers? anything else? Tall?
    Short?  Starting at $75.00 and I have seen as high as $200.00 each.
    Not knowing your exact flowers..... I would say you are closer to $1700-$1750.00
    Personally seeing things first hand....and knowing what things cost....I would allow that extra 200-250.00 leeway for the florist to create what you are looking for.  Alex!   
  • Options
    emh777emh777 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh - Alex, thanks for the heads up.  And welcome to the board!  You should introduce yourself.  I'm sure people would love to pick your brain since you have expertise in this area. 

Really the only issue I have about the price is/was that I told the florist innitially  (months ago) what my budget was (not a problem then) and all of a sudden it ballooned well beyond that with no suggestion of how to get what I wanted and stay in my initial budget (which is what a good vendor should do, in my opinion, otherwise, they are just holding your deposit for ransom and can decide to charge whatever they darn well please!) On top of that, it was an inflated budget with only 1/2 of what I was asking for (5 tall centerpieces and 5 short?).  If I'm going to pay more, I should at least be getting what I asked for, right? I'm perfectly willing to compromise  - I certainly don't need callas (interesting you guessed what my flower was) or, for instance, I could go with a smaller bouquet etc. but she had no suggestions for me.   We have now decided to provide the glassware ourselves so that we can stay in budget (also, interesting that buying 10 large, beautiful glass vases for us is way cheaper then her even renting 1 or 2!)  But I have to say, I'm disappointed in her lack of imagination and help really.  I heard a ton of great things about her on this very board (specifically about how well she worked in people's budgets!!) which is why I hired her in the first place.  I guess she's just disappointed in our budget and wishes she chose another wedding to work on.  Oh well, what can you do.  Hopefully it will all work out.  As for your suggestion to "just spend the extra $" - it's not quite that easy, if every vendor goes $250 out of budget - well then - that adds up pretty fast to thousands of dollars that I wish I had, but don't.  I'm sure as a "bride-to-be" yourself, you understand this.  -e
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • Options
    Alexandra1976Alexandra1976 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So...you are having a calla bouquet! How funny is that!  Well like I was saying..the normal Brides bouquet for callas are 20 stems.  Those poesy callas are small. A 10 stem bunch is tiny and at $9.00 a stem X 20 stems you are looking at $180.00 in callas! The labor is 20% and the cost of ribbon and ?? You would be looking at $223.00. As far as your centerpieces go..... 5 tall and 5 short????? What type of containers??? Tall usually start at $125-$150.00 short $75-95.00
    .Going to the distributors with my boss..glassware is not cheap! and honestly the lady I work for does not usually rent glassware and alot of Brides will pick up their own if they want something special.  She is in the flower business not the container business. It is just tied up money in my opinionhaving all that glassware hanging around.  You know what's really funny.....my boss has been back and forth with a couple of Brides in regards to glassware and I think one of the girls had a starting budget of 1200.00 for 5 bouquets, bouts corsages and 10 to 13 tables. I think for that wedding she has been back and forth with the bride and there is still no decision on the reception peices and the wedding is coming up.  My boss works with alot of Brides on a budget but some Brides have no clue what flowers and hard goods cost and expect a lot for a little. It is like that old saying champagne taste on a beer budget.  My sugestion is that your money go into the flowers and not so much the container. You can only design within the means and not knowing what you are requesting from your florist regarding your table peices, I can't really make a fair judgement towards your floral designer. I am also glad I am just a designer and not dealing directly with the Brides!!!  I tell my Boss she gives way too much!!!! Best wishes! Alex 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards