Massachusetts-Cape Cod

Wedding Dinner

We are having trouble deciding and would love your opinion.  Should we do a stations (buffet) dinner or a sit down dinner (meal choices in invitations)?
Opinions and experiences would be great...thanks!!!
Married to my best friend!! 8/19/12

Re: Wedding Dinner

• I've been to quite a few weddings with stations, and as a guest I really don't like it. I don't like having to go to different stations scattered around the room, waiting in a new line at each table. That being said, we had a sit down dinner at our wedding and it went flawlessly. I like that everyone was able to sit there and relax and get served by the waiting staff... it makes it more formal IMO. The only positve thing about stations is that people have the choice of what and how much to eat. Hope this helps!

• It does help thank you for responding. 
  • Stations all the way. I want my guests to mingle, eat, drink & have fun. I hate the formality of a sit down dinner. and waiting.....and waiting....and waiting for dinners to be served. We are doing stations & passed apps at coonamessett inn and the food is served right away and keeps coming. Plus people can pick & choose what they want. If you don't like it you don't have to eat it....unlike a sit down meal, where what you get is what you get!

• Thanks for responding alinadee.  Great points!!  I'm still so in the middle.... i hope we get more opinions on this.  I'm glad I have until March to decide.  :)
  • I agree with alinadee12 on most of her points-- less formal, promotes mingling, you can pick and choose, plus no one has to decide what they want for dinner a month in advance. However, I personally prefer a sit down plated dinner, which is what we did. I like that it is a little more formal, plus I really don't like carrying plates of food in  fancy dress and heels-- I'm clumsy! I really prefer it to come to me. Seated usually is a little slower though, leaving less time for dancing. Oh, and if you do stations, make sure there is a plan to make sure there aren't lines for the food-- I hate that!

So, to me I think it depends what you want the feel of the wedding to be-- if you want it to be more formal, have guests sit and relax and get served for a while, plated is the way to go. If you want it to be a little more casual, more mingling, more options, stations. Also keep in mind the major players at the wedding-- my parents, who paid for most of the wedding, wouldn't like stations, so that was a consideration. 

Hope that helps a little. 
  • We did stations at Harbor Point and everyone that came to our wedding LOVED it! The food was amazing and people had options so they could choose what they wanted to eat that day not have to decide 3 months ahead of time what they would feel like eating that day :)
  • Most reputable venues are able to accomodate a menu choice the day of the reception. I wouldn't worry about that if you go with a plated dinner and I wouldn't go with a place not willing to be flexible with a guests desires.

A sit down dinner is much more formal. We did a very heavy cocktail hour (two hours) and only a two course dinner so people didn't feel like they were sitting down forever. I am partial to sit down dinners because I think lines are to be avoided and I appreciate adult dinner conversation. 
  • Thanks Meaghan!! We are leaning towards a sit down. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards