Massachusetts-Cape Cod
Options

Wedding at a private residence

A friend of mine is ideally looking to rent a large house in September with a big lawn - possibly with a view of the ocean - and have her wedding there. She'd love to have her bridal party stay in the house for the weekend. Any advice? Are any of you doing something like that? Or do you know of a budget friendly locale that might fit the bill?

thanks so much

Re: Wedding at a private residence

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Back when I was considering doing this I found weneedavaction.com to be the best source.  I ended up changing plans though and doing it somewhere where they do all the work (set up, clean up, etc.) for you! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I came across Winslow Estate early in my planning. I wasn't looking to do that much organizing of tents, tables, etc, but it looked really pretty. In or near Brewster, I think.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was originally planning to do this, but I quickly found out that once you start adding up the cost of renting the tent, tables, chairs, serviceware (plates, silverware, etc), linens, and the caterer (if you are not lucky enough to get one who provides some of those things) on top of the cost of renting the venue, it was no longer very budget friendly and you then had the additional headache of coordinating all of those vendors.  I did find the Beach Breeze Inn in Falmouth, but it didn't fit into my tiny budget.  Beautiful spot to check out thought.

HTH
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Private estate does not equal cost effective.  But it would be amazing!  I'd recommend contacting a local wedding planner for ideas/tips.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh my god the Beach Breeze Inn is SO nice!  I wanted my wedding there but it didn't fit into my budget either!
  • Options
    newsmomnewsmom member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you ladies!! I'm sending her your input. And I think she is using weneedavacation.com, too!! I've used that site to rent places to stay on the Cape when I go with my family.

cheers :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It all sounds quite lovely. The one challenge you may have depending on size is supplying enough washroom facilities for the guests. Most houses have just 2 toilets so that may not be enough for 100+ people. Just something to ponder.
    Irish *wife* on Nantucket, lovin' the island life with the love of my life! image
  • Options
    lanejmlanejm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we are doing this exact thing in West Barnstable.  We found the house on homeaway.com   Some houses are reluctant to rent for an occasion, but you can find people who will.  The house we're renting sleeps 20 people and has 5 bathrooms.  Guest seem very excited about the idea.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The beach breeze is lovely, but the mandatory 8PM end time put me off.

Good luck, but remember when you do something like this, you also need insurance, and a lot of it!
  • Options
    lbhsugareelbhsugaree member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are getting married in Orleans at the Captain Heman Smith House.  Mike and Mark are awesome to work with.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've tried to contact the Captain Heman Smith House but never heard back!

How many people are you having at your wedding? Did it seem difficult to negotiate with them? Did they have any outlanding requests? What is their pricing like? When are you getting married?

Thank You!
  • Options
    chermom04chermom04 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am planning small wedding at my friend's home Dec 19, 2010.  This is our 2nd marriage, how do I word the address location on the invitations.  Do I list the couples name that is hosting the wedding and then the address?  Perplexed??
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards