Michigan-Grand Rapids
Options

St. Joesph/New Buffalo Area reception sites

I know venue advice posts have been done to death but I'm throwing out another one.  Not even sure if this is the right local board or not since there isn't actually one for New Buffalo area...

Anyways, I'm looking for a venue that is NOT a typical banquet hall.  I'm an architect so for me the venue is Uber important. I could go one of two ways, either a historical building(think old train station), or a modern loft style building (maybe an art gallery).  We will have 100-125 people. 

I don't live in the area, I grew up in NW Indiana but my parents now live closer to New Buffalo area just inside of Indiana so I'm open to looking in Southern Michigan as well as NW and NE Indiana but so far have come up short on anything that I like in my price range.  Looking to stay under $40 per person for food/drink.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: St. Joesph/New Buffalo Area reception sites

• Options
    AmoroAgainAmoroAgain member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That area has a total lack of neat spaces, to be honest.  We wanted something like that too, and it just wasn't happening.  Though, I've heard about two more spaces since we got married, and those were the carousel that they've opened up on Silver Beach in St. Joe, and then there's something at the top of the old folks home there too.  But that would have been creepy for me, tbh. 

There's also the Heritage Center in SJ, but I remember them being too expensive for our wedding, but I thinkk that's because we had a very small group- around 50.  It might be more cost-effective for you.

There is an amazing restaurant in New Buffalo that I've been to, but darned if I can think of it right now.  Ah! Bentwood Tavern!  So great.  You can see if they do any renting of the restaurant for occaisions.

Also, you might want to see (depending on size of your group) if any of the houses out there might be rentable.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    DH and I were married at Mill Creek Barns:

It may not be quite what you were looking for, but we fell in love with the place immediately. It's a beautiful space and totally unique - I felt like we had transported our guests to a new world.

GL!
  • Options
    karenwjackmkarenwjackm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are getting married on the beach and having our reception at the above-mentioned ballroom attached to the revamped carousel, its called the Shadowlands Ballroom.  We also looked at the Heritage Center in St. Joe and LOVED it, has lots of character, but wanted a view of the beach, hence the Shadowlands.  The "old folks" place is the Veranda at the Whitcomb.  Personally I don't mind the old folks, it is an awesome venue, great space and view, but the bathroom situation was less than desirable.  Check out all 3, they are worth it.  Good luck.
    As my fiance is fond of saying, "Just Relax....."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards